Tabs, not chords, not staffs, or melody line - ideal books or software?

I could read Kohanmike's bass tab if I just assume it indicates 4 quarter notes per bar, but for a melody with any syncopation, dotted notes or triplets, you need something to show timing. I prefer to use the same timing as in standard notation. For a half note, I put a circle around the number with a line below it similar to the quarter note line. For a whole note, I just use the circle. I use the same symbols for rests and repeats as in standard notation.

I could read Kohanmike's bass tab if I just assume it indicates 4 quarter notes per bar, but for a melody with any syncopation, dotted notes or triplets, you need something to show timing. I prefer to use the same timing as in standard notation. For a half note, I put a circle around the number with a line below it similar to the quarter note line. For a whole note, I just use the circle. I use the same symbols for rests and repeats as in standard notation.

For bass I would only do standard notation (and chord name) with perhaps an occasional hint for which string to play a note on, most useful for the beginning of phrases. 4ths tuning and mostly single note playing makes bass nice for that...

You might want to check out mup, an open-source music publishing program.
It allows you to write scores with multiple staves, including tablatures. I started dabbling with it
and defined some macros to typeset ukulele tablatures.
In my case it prints 2 staves, the first one is standard notation, the second one is tablature.
In my input I just indicated the fret/string numbers for staff 2, and it deducted the standard score from that.
By default it displays the 2 staves. But there's an option that allows you to display only the staff you're interested in...

I'm a linux user. I downloaded the source and built it on my platform.
But there are windows, MacOSX versions (which are probably ready to use).

http://www.arkkra.com/

mup and ABC notation seem to have a lot in common although I guess ABC may not support tablature.

mup and ABC notation seem to have a lot in common although I guess ABC may not support tablature.
Threre's abctab2ps. Here what its author says:
abctab2ps is a music and tablature typesetting program which translates an input file in the abc language into postscript. It is based on Michael Methfessel's program abc2ps. While abc2ps can only typeset music, abctab2ps is an extension by Christoph Dalitz that can also handle lute tablature.
http://www.lautengesellschaft.de/cdmm/

However, the example of that web page is for the lute.

In mup, by default tablature is for the guitar, but it's quite easy to define tablatures for other instruments
(bass, ukulele, ...). Basically you tell it how many lines the staff must have, and note is represented
by each string. It took me just a few minutes to figure it out.
I'm not sure that abctab2ps is as flexible...

Last edited:
If you have an iPad, there is an excellent app for inputting tab called Progression by Notion Music. You have to tweak it a bit for ukulele. I choose the mandolin instrument so I have four strings and then assign the strings like a ukulele. It can be set up to show just notation, just tab, or both. It works well once you get used to the input method.

The tabs/chords confusion is not unique to ukulele.

It is the same when you google for guitar tabs, you get a bunch of chord/lyrics sheets of questionable quality.
But since there are probably more guitar tabs than ukulele tabs out there, the number of actual tabs you find might be bigger.

I don't know any great source for ukulele tabs, in most cases I find a lead sheet somewhere and tab it out myself, trying to find the best way to play the chords with the melody. Quite cumbersome. But it brushes up some musical theory.
I probably ought to use a more sofisticated software than windows Notepad...

Notation, lead sheet, chord lyrics, & tabs - why do they get mixed up???

It certainly doesn't help that there are web sites that are primarily chord charts but include "tab" in their URL. Someone in this thread is clearly asking for fingerpicking tab, yet the response is a chord chart from - you guessed it - ukutabs dot com, which as far as I know is not a true "tab" site at all.

Considering that so many uke (and guitar, for that matter) players are self-taught or taught via online videos, I think the issue persists because so many don't have someone around to set them straight.

Top Bottom