Taking care of a lifting top

Joralin

Reaction score
Hello Guys,

i have a ukulele where the top is lifting behind the Bridge.

I already changed the strings to less tension strings, but it is not improving much. Therefore the action raised.

Its the type of bridge used on classical guitars.

I wonder if a string tye would reduce the pressure, because it applies more pressure on the top of bridge?

Im tahnkful for tips.

My problem ukulele - I've removed the saddle and am creating better saddle out of the retainers for the plastic bit i.e. out of the hardwood. Will add material if needed. I am removing string tie area to allow a knot instead, as it gets the pull lower down. What about putting a hole through and creating a tie with a bead on the other side of the bridge plate inside. That would hold it all together. I'm not going to go that far until I've seen how mine plays with lower tension (i.e. FC) strings....

Hello Guys,

We need far more information to have any idea of what is going on and try and help you.

First up. What is lifting and from where?
The title say's the top is lifting, yet if that was the case it would be lifting from the sides of the instrument.
What you describe sounds like the bridge is lifting from the top.

A better description of your problem is needed and pictures would help a lot.
Failing this, there is nothing we can do but say, take the instrument to a good luthier.
Maybe taking the instrument to a good luthier is the only advice we can give anyway.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I already changed the strings to less tension strings, but it is not improving much. Therefore the action raised.

Its the type of bridge used on classical guitars.

I wonder if a string tye would reduce the pressure, because it applies more pressure on the top of bridge?

Im tahnkful for tips.
Without knowing what uke you have, the sure-fire way to prevent the strings from lifting the bridge is to drill down through the top so it will be the top holding the strings in place. Lots of good quality ukes are coming that way now. You feed the strings through the hole and route it though the sound hole. Tie a large enough knot - or use a bead. If it pulls through the hole, you'll have to cut the know off and start over.

The "repair solution is to remove the bridge, clean both surfaces, and apply a good glue (Titebond 1 -3, hide glue, etc), and press the bridge onto the top. The best way to do that is with a long clamp. You can apply weight to the bridge, but don't use so much that you break the top. IN the past, I've put something inside the uke under the bridge for support. It's the glue that attaches it - not the weight. A lifting bridge is an annoyng face of life with ukes; rare but annoying.

I'm sure you'll get good suggestions here.

It seems to me that he is describing a fairly common condition of top deformation. The top lifts behind the bridge and dips in front of it. You should see some deformation in a ukulele that has been constructed lightly enough. It may become problematic if it doesn’t stabilize over time.

Top Bottom