Tenor pineapple from Hana Lima Ia plans

Vespa Bob

Reaction score
Years ago Hana Lima Ia produced a kit for a tenor sized instrument which could be built as either a traditional, or pineapple shape. I built the pineapple version which turned out alright and was well received at a ukulele festival I attended at the time. Like the majority of my ukuleles, it was later sold. Earlier this year I decided to build another one exactly as the first, which fortunately I had photographed. Since Hana Lima Ia no longer offers this in kit form I had to work from my plans and their very detailed handbook. The only exception was that instead of the kit's Spanish heel, this time I chose to do a bolt on neck, as I don't like the neck being attached to the body at such an early stage, although it does guarantee a perfect neck to body joint, something I always struggle to achieve with my bolt on necks!
The project progressed very slowly, old age being my problem, trembling hands, bad eyesight, backache, all tend to slow one down until finally it was completed a few weeks ago. It has a mellow sound, similar to my other tenors, a nice addition to my collection. I won't be selling this one!
Bob

Attachments

• Tenor pineapple7jpg.jpg
    Tenor pineapple7jpg.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Tenor pineapple 3.jpg
    Tenor pineapple 3.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Tenor pineapple 4.jpg
    Tenor pineapple 4.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Tenor pineapple 5.jpg
    Tenor pineapple 5.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Tenor pineapple 6.jpg
    Tenor pineapple 6.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 31
Years ago Hana Lima Ia produced a kit for a tenor sized instrument which could be built as either a traditional, or pineapple shape. I built the pineapple version which turned out alright and was well received at a ukulele festival I attended at the time. Like the majority of my ukuleles, it was later sold. Earlier this year I decided to build another one exactly as the first, which fortunately I had photographed. Since Hana Lima Ia no longer offers this in kit form I had to work from my plans and their very detailed handbook. The only exception was that instead of the kit's Spanish heel, this time I chose to do a bolt on neck, as I don't like the neck being attached to the body at such an early stage, although it does guarantee a perfect neck to body joint, something I always struggle to achieve with my bolt on necks!
The project progressed very slowly, old age being my problem, trembling hands, bad eyesight, backache, all tend to slow one down until finally it was completed a few weeks ago. It has a mellow sound, similar to my other tenors, a nice addition to my collection. I won't be selling this one!
Bob
Beautiful, is the bracing fan type?

Top Bottom