Tabs/Chords The Cliff Edwards Project

BigJackBrass

Charlatan, Humbug & Imitation Humorist
UU VIP
Reaction score
Cliff Edwards is, without a doubt, my favourite ukulele artist. He was also quite prolific.

After writing up a few of his songs in a simple, single page format for my own use, I had the ridiculous idea of doing the same for as many of his recorded tunes as I could, which turns out to be a lot of different songs (and of course, I'm not even including the multiple recordings he made of many pieces. How did he find the time?)… all of which has developed into the grandiosely named Cliff Edwards Project.

The plan is to keep slowly adding new song sheets as I get them done, freely available for anyone to download, and eventually compile them into one or more collected PDFs; I'll also go back to the early sheets I did and tweak them to include better writer info. I don't have audio files for everything, which makes it hard to confirm that all of the titles are actually the songs they seem to be, but I'm checking and correcting as I find new sources of recordings. Likewise, there are a number of pieces of sheet music I don't have yet, along with others which lack chords: inevitably, those songs have to go to the back of the queue.

A limited resource at the moment, but I hope you'll find it of interest.

Looks like a great project. I am also a fan of Ukulele Ike. I like the way you present the sheets. Easy to read along and play. You will probably have a lot of people using them.

Cliff Edwards is, without a doubt, my favourite ukulele artist. He was also quite prolific.

After writing up a few of his songs in a simple, single page format for my own use, I had the ridiculous idea of doing the same for as many of his recorded tunes as I could, which turns out to be a lot of different songs (and of course, I'm not even including the multiple recordings he made of many pieces. How did he find the time?)… all of which has developed into the grandiosely named Cliff Edwards Project.

The plan is to keep slowly adding new song sheets as I get them done, freely available for anyone to download, and eventually compile them into one or more collected PDFs; I'll also go back to the early sheets I did and tweak them to include better writer info. I don't have audio files for everything, which makes it hard to confirm that all of the titles are actually the songs they seem to be, but I'm checking and correcting as I find new sources of recordings. Likewise, there are a number of pieces of sheet music I don't have yet, along with others which lack chords: inevitably, those songs have to go to the back of the queue.

A limited resource at the moment, but I hope you'll find it of interest.
This is great Jack! Cliff is also my favorite uke artist. Any recordings of his that you don’t have and/or need for the Project I will gladly forward to you if I have them. I have quite an “Ike“ collection in all formats: vinyl, cd, and 78rpm shellac records. . . There’s nothing quite like hearing his tunes on a wind up victrola!
I believe this thread is going to explode with interest!
Thanks for all your hard work and sharing with the community!

👍👍👍

And now the eternal argument… How did he tune his uke?

Any recordings of his that you don’t have and/or need for the Project I will gladly forward to you if I have them
That's very kind indeed, thank you. Unfortunately I am restricted to electronic formats these days, so the only tracks I have been able to access are those digitised by other people, commercially or otherwise, which of course isn't everything. On the other hand, things such as the Internet Archive have made many of Cliff's songs easily available to everyone, which is quite amazing. I'll add contact info on to the missing audio document in the project folder.

My favorite. Can't hear his uke much on it, though. I have one CD of Ike, and one of Johnny Marvin.

Last edited:
brilliant BJB! he's a hero to me. i have as much of his music is is available on CD and vinyl
and i know my way around a handful of his songs, but
wow man. thank you for doing this.
i hope this thread goes viral. it deserves to. xo

i hope this thread goes viral. it deserves to
That's very kind of you, although at the slow pace I'm managing so far I'm not sure I could handle the pressure 😁

I did find another thirty or so sheet music PDFs yesterday, helping to fill in the gaps. Tonight I'm aiming to get a new song sheet typed up.

Our jug band, The Maple Leaf Champions, does a few Cliff Edwards tunes, and once at a Port Hope Bandshell gig, we offered a prize to any audience member who could tell us what Cliff Edwards' stage name was. One grey-haired gent went home with a lovely Hawaiian shirt. The MLC jug band wears Hawaiian shirts for our summer gigs and we get 'em at a used clothing store called Value Village.

I think Hard Hearted Hannah was the first Cliff song I learned about three or four decades ago, before I played ukulele. Cliff plays it in C, but for some reason, probably my narrow vocal range, I have transposed it to G.

HARD HEARTED HANNAH Jack Yellen, Bob Bigelow, and Charles Bates & Milton Ager 1924

Intro: [:G E7, A7 D7:]

[G] In old Savannah, [E7] I said Savannah, [A7] the weather there is [Ab7] nice and [A7] warm;
[D7] The climate's of the [C#7] southern [D7] brand, [G] but here's what [G#] I [A] don't under[D7]stand;
[G] They got a gal there, [E7] A pretty gal there, [A7] who's colder than an [D] arctic storm;
[A7] Got a heart just [D] like a stone; [A7] even icemen let her a[D7]lone,

Chorus:
They call her [G] Hard Hearted Hannah, the [E7] vamp of Savannah,
[A7] The meanest gal in [Ab7] town; [A7]
[D7] Leather is tough but [C#7] Hannah's heart is [D7] tougher;
[G] She's a gal [G#] who [A] loves to see 'em [D7] suffer!
She'll [G] tease 'em and thrill 'em, [G7] Torture and kill 'em,
[C7] That's her delight, [C#7] they [D7] say,
[Eb7] An [E7] evening spent with Hannah sittin' [Eb7] on your [E7] knee
Is like [A] travelling through Alaska in your [D7] BVDs.
That's [G] Hard Hearted Hannah, [E7] The Vamp of Savannah,
The [A] vamp of Sa[D7]vannah, G.[G]A. [D7]

They call her [G] Hard Hearted Hannah, the [E7] vamp of Savannah,
[A7] The meanest gal in [Ab7] town; [A7]

[D7] Talk of your cold, re[C#7]frigerated [D7] mammas,
[G] Brother, she's [G#] the [A] polar bear's pa[D7]jamas.
She'll [G] tease 'em and thrill 'em, [G7] Torture and kill 'em,
[C7] That's her delight, [C#7] they [D7] say,

[Eb7][E7] She's so cold you'll even catch pneu[Eb7]monia from her [E7] breath,
She [A] kissed an Eskimo and the [D7] fool froze to death.
That's [G] Hard Hearted Hannah, [E7] The Vamp of Savannah,
The [A] vamp of Sa[D7]vannah, G.[G]A. [E7]
The [A] vamp of Sa[D7]vannah, G.[G]A. [F#][G]

I think Hard Hearted Hannah was the first Cliff song I learned about three or four decades ago, before I played ukulele. Cliff plays it in C, but for some reason, probably my narrow vocal range, I have transposed it to G.
That's terrific, thank you for sharing it.

Can anyone help to identify this song?

Unidentified Cliff Edwards song

It's from his radio show, but I don't recognise it. The other option is to look through the list of songs he recorded during sessions for the shows and eliminate the ones I have identified, but if this tickles anyone's memory cells that would be a lot easier!

"Sensational comedy song hit" or regrettably sexist novelty number? Either way, Cliff sang it, so I've typed up a song sheet and added it to the project folder, along with My Dog Loves Your Dog which I uploaded last night.

IMG_5515.jpeg

Can anyone help to identify this song?

Unidentified Cliff Edwards song

It's from his radio show, but I don't recognise it. The other option is to look through the list of songs he recorded during sessions for the shows and eliminate the ones I have identified, but if this tickles anyone's memory cells that would be a lot easier!
It is the Russian folk tune, "Otchi Chornia." Translated as "Dark Eyes" in English.

Sadly no listing for the song under either title in Kiner's discography, so I'll have to dig a little and compare the lyrics with other English language versions to see if it's a complete rewrite with another name, although since the first line of Cliff's version is "Dark and dancing eyes" it may just be missing from the published record.

That's excellent! Such a fun—if morally dubious—number and that was a really peppy performance. Is that a maple Brüko, by the way? Sounds great.

I think one of the next songs I'll type up is this one, which I've managed to retrieve from YouTube as I sadly don't have the LP it was released on (and no CD or digital reissue that I can find):

EDIT: Song sheet now added. Thank you random person who posted photos of every page of the sheet music they were selling on eBay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom