This is odd. KoAloha 25th New!!

mlolya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just saw this on eBay. It looks like the seller has a ‘New’ 25th Anniversary Silver KoAloha tenor that was ‘forgotten’ in the box!! For three years.
The seller also displays a vast knowledge of ukuleles as is shown in their description of this instrument:
this Silver Tenor model has four strings and a standard body style.
Four strings!! Can you imagine!!
Could this be real?

Last edited:
I would guess that maybe somebody bought it with the intention of hanging onto it until it appreciated in value and then selling it for a profit. Now that the COVID ukulele boom is dying out, they're probably realizing that it's not that much of a collector's item. I'm thinking it's likely not a scam since they're allowing for local pickup.

The seller is very reputable. Best Ukulele in Honolulu is one of the main ukulele stores in Oahu. I bought my 2 Kamakas from him when I visited!

The seller is very reputable. Best Ukulele in Honolulu is one of the main ukulele stores in Oahu. I bought my 2 Kamakas from him when I visited!
That’s what surprised me. They have a good reputation. Unusual listing. Maybe they have a new description writer.

That’s what surprised me. They have a good reputation. Unusual listening.
Their listings and even website kinda suck...but that can be said for a lot of Hawaii businesses. Local sales are more their thing, so less emphasis there. I think it's a 2 person operation.

Newest model KTM-00 - looks pretty much just like the 25th anniversary.

They did change the headstock to Ebony faceplate on new models from what I see.

Could get a brand new current KTM for less money , unless you really want to have that 25th year edition.

It's not uncommon for stores with big inventory to "forget" an instrument and then sell as NOS, usually at a discount compared to when they were in production. I assume that as it was high demand limited edition the seller thinks it may be worth more. Maybe there are people who still want a new one of these...

Last edited:
If you could get them to discount it to something just a hair more than a new model KTM , then I'd maybe get the Anniversary addition.

All what a buyer wants.. Is it worth a few hundred more than the current model ? Depends on what you think.

When I was looking to get my first KoAloha it happened that someone here was selling a 25th anniversary. I don’t think I would have sought one out in particular, I just wanted a KoAloha, but now that I have the Silver I’m glad I got it. I doubt that it’s much different than any other KoAloha other than the bling, but it is unique and that adds to my appreciation of it.
And, like all KoAlohas, it sounds wonderful.

It’s number 333!

In 2021 I bought a brand-new KTM-00 from Mim with a 2019 date on the neck block. As she explained, it had sat in the box for 2 years, completely overlooked, until she discovered it and said, “What have we here?” (Or words to that effect.) It had fallen through a crack in her inventory.

So such things do happen. In your listing, the seller explains that something like this happened. Stuff gets overlooked.

I would have to agree with @Tin Ear .

The 2024 version of the KTM-00 is similar to their 25th Anniversary version and cost less.

IMHO, the new 2024 version of the KTM reduces the worth of the 25th Anniv version because it is no longer unique.

It would have been different if the 25th Anniv had Pop's signature or a signature of the luthier who actually built it. Or if the headstock remained unique "only" to their 25th anniv version.

If you wish to buy it, see if you can negotiate a lower price than what they are selling it for, perhaps knock 200-300 off the asking prices. Then I might consider it.

I also agree ,the seller - Best Hawaiian Ukelele store in Waikiki is a reputable store.

Actually, there are several around the Waikiki area aside from Best Hawaiian Ukulele Company, i.e. The Ukulele Store, Ukulele PuaPua, Ukulele Lab to name a few. We usually stay in Waikiki, and whenever we're there, these are the stores I go visit since they're all within walking distance from our hotel.

Just my .02 cents.

I’ve noticed some well-intentioned but inaccurate comments and inferences regarding the KoAloha 25th Anniversary edition. I'd like to put into perspective a few points about what makes this edition different and the original pricing.

When KoAloha decided to create the 25th Anniversary Limited Edition, their goal was to celebrate with a special, yet affordable, limited edition. For example, the 2019 KTM-00 differs significantly from the Anniversary model. The Anniversary edition featured several unique attributes at the time:

• Special numbered limited edition label
  • Ebony headplate with abalone inlay
  • New gunmetal tuners
  • New KoAloha strings
  • Upgraded Koa wood
  • A redesigned body shape with a slightly larger lower bout
  • Lowered bridge for a more forward and present sound
Though common now, these features were brand new in 2020 and exclusive to the Anniversary edition.

Importantly, KoAloha did not seek to profit excessively from these special editions. The MSRP was only $100 higher than the production model. In 2019, the MSRP of a KTM-00 was $1489; in 2020, The 25th Anniversary ed model was $1590. The higher prices you're seeing today reflect market value, as these ukuleles have become collector's items.

It's also important to note that Hawaii faced significant challenges in 2020 during the COVID lockdown. KoAloha's large staff was reduced to just 5 or 6 people, and supply chain issues made parts more expensive if not impossible to obtain. Despite these difficulties, KoAloha did not want their 25th anniversary to pass without a special edition, and they succeeded in creating a remarkable instrument for only $100 more than the previous version.

Kudos to KoAloha for incorporating many of these features into their regular production line. Even though the newer models now include many of these features and are an awesome value, I am happy to own, as a collector's piece, a numbered limited edition uke to celebrate their history. As with all collector's items, the market is now setting the prices, which will fluctuate.

Last edited:
Though common now, these features were brand new in 2020 and exclusive to the Anniversary edition.

Despite these difficulties, KoAloha did not want their 25th anniversary to pass without a special edition, and they succeeded in creating a remarkable instrument for only $100 more than the previous version.

Kudos to KoAloha for incorporating many of these features into their regular production line. Even though the newer models now include many of these features and are an awesome value, I am happy to own, as a collector's piece, a numbered limited edition uke to celebrate their history. As with all collector's items, the market is now setting the prices, which will fluctuate.
Good summary, Ed...

3 years ago, the $100 was a bargain. These were "upgrades" to celebrate their 25th. Just the bling of the ebony headstock and wood beauty made them a great buy.

Today, it may be overpriced as noted. The upcharge is mostly about $300 for the label, but that is offset by the ukulele being 3 years old (albeit "new"). And their is little sense that their value has increased, even as a 25th anny edition.

But it only takes one buyer. In this case, I would expect a better chance of it being bought at their physical store than online.

I found four 25th anniversary used tenors online. The cheapest one is $1750 at Terry Carter. All the others are $1800. Which is quite a bit more than it sold for originally.
Perhaps they are overpriced, but unless you get lucky that’s what they cost.

Top Bottom