TIMBERRRR!

I suppose paint will work but I doubt as well a wax. One problem with paint is it contains metals. It's probably not a huge deal but cutting painted wood even with carbide tipped blades dulls them. I use carbide tipped bandsaw blades. They aint cheap.

I suppose paint will work but I doubt as well a wax. One problem with paint is it contains metals. It's probably not a huge deal but cutting painted wood even with carbide tipped blades dulls them. I use carbide tipped bandsaw blades. They aint cheap.
I prefer thick coats of latex paint.When I used to use paraffin, the hot wax could suck into endgrain on softwoods and run into any end checks on hardwoods. Ruined a bit of wood that way! Water wax is safe because it does not need to be heated, but latex paint is more available. Sealing the ends still does not prevent checking if you dry the wood too fast.

So slice the two ends off, missing the paint.

Interestingly my friend's pear tree also fell over. I keep telling her to find someone who wants the wood, because otherwise it's a sad waste. I would try to get some, but I'm nowhere near the phase of cutting up the wood to make something from scratch. But it would be nice.

I have used latex also, and it works as well as the purpose designed endgrain sealants. In one case better. I like Behr super white indoor outdoor. I also paint boats with it. And do interior trim. All around super paint. No doubt many other options. Reasonable quality helps, as you actually want to seal endgrain. In the past, some of the chalkier crappier paints have not had enough solids. However, I am not sure that kind of paint exists any more, with all the pressure to produce paints that cover in one coat.

Last edited:
If the internet teaches anything, it is that even what one would regard as an impossible lunacy, someone does all the time with massive success.

So bending sides from massively twisted, and steeply tapering pear wood... Wow, well done you!

May well happen a lot more than I think, as equatorial woods often have little in the way of visible grain as there is no seasonal difference in the grain pattern. So a lot of the tropical woods are often a little more challenging that they might look. Though that also raises the question of whether the pattern will be visible in pear, which may or not look so great.

Never look a gift horse in the mouth I guess.
IMG_0011 (2).jpg

Top Bottom