Timms Traveling Ukulele -Update

Neal

Reaction score
It’s been awhile, John Colter and I sent a Timms off around the world to get an education and tattoos some time ago, wondering if it’s still moving around. It left before “The Great Plague”, so I imagine it’s stalled a bit, but if the person that has it could show us it’s tattoos, it would make for a decent start to what looks like another ..challenging year.

a duplicate…I forget which one is the first.. oh, time stamp! This one.

Last edited:
Last edited:
No good deed goes unpunished . I'll bet that ukulele went into the great Abyss ,
never to be heard from again .

Senior moment, I got these sites mixed.

Covid 19 halted the progress of this travelling uke. As I understand it, the uke was in Japan when normal life and international travel became disrupted. I'll try to find out what is the present situation. I'm sure it's quite safe. I know the current custodians personally. Their good faith is unquestioned.

This is how the Travelling Timms looked the last time I saw it, in July 2019. It will have acquired some more graffiti the next time I clap eyes on it.
The Travelling Timms - 27th July 2019.jpg

It’s been awhile, John Colter and I sent a Timms off around the world to get an education and tattoos some time ago, wondering if it’s still moving around. It left before “The Great Plague”, so I imagine it’s stalled a bit, but if the person that has it could show us it’s tattoos, it would make for a decent start to what looks like another ..challenging year.

a duplicate…I forget which one is the first.. oh, time stamp! This one.
I think I saw that for sale on eBay. (Kidding)

I can see Ken making duplicates, as Martin is doing with the Konter Uke.

OMG I hope someone sends it to me some day! Would love to play it!

Various methods of marking have been used. Pyrography, marker pens, scratched+ballpoint pen, paint - with a project like this, you just have to let people do their thing and trust them not to do anything that will damage the uke.

The shellac finish seems very tolerant. Nothing has reacted badly, so far.

Fingers crossed!

No good deed goes unpunished . I'll bet that ukulele went into the great Abyss ,
I know the last people that were custodians of that uke.

They are honest as the day is long. It has stalled, that's all.

I would send either of them any of my ukes and trust that they wouldn't keep them.

We have heard from Stuart & Aki, the present custodians of the Travelling Timms. The uke is perfectly safe with Aki's family in Japan. When the current Covid related restrictions are eased the uke's wanderings will resume.

here's a photo of the Traveller in august company at the end of 2019.The Travelling Timms-Oh! Buddha.jpg

Last edited:
We have heard from Stuart & Aki, the present custodians of the Travelling Timms. The uke is perfectly safe with Aki's family in Japan. When the current Covid related restrictions are eased the uke's wanderings will resume.
Unless I’m mistaken it’s your instrument John and if you’re happy then the rest of us should be satisfied with that, that’s maybe easier said than done but that (still) should be the case.

Last edited:
Oh no, it’s fine, I sent it to Europe and now it’s in Japan. Cosmos is a pretty tight group and I’ve entrusted it to many good people. I may even get it back before I kick, but I’d rather see it going around the world and pick up some initials and art.

Covid had contained it in Japan, that’s to be expected in these times, but it will end, and then we can get this show back on the road.

If the Japan contingent wanted to remark about our plague on the back in some way, I think that would be appropriate.

John! Thanks for those photos!

edit: the Konter was the inspiration.

I hope we continue get updates even if with the same person on a regular basis.. this is a cool project!

Graham sed, "Unless I'm mistaken, it's your instrument, John".

Yup, GG - you're mistaken. The Travelling Timms belongs to Neal and it was he who started it on its odyssey. Neal consulted with me, as it was I who rescued the uke from oblivion in early 2019. I merely take a proprietorial interest.

Graham sed, "Unless I'm mistaken, it's your instrument, John".

Yup, GG - you're mistaken. The Travelling Timms belongs to Neal and it was he who started it on its odyssey. Neal consulted with me, as it was I who rescued the uke from oblivion in early 2019. I merely take a proprietorial interest.

Thank you for the clarification John 👍. It’s good that you’re taking an interest and I trust your judgement.

I suppose the same logic should apply to Neal as to John: it’s your instrument Neal and if you’re happy then the rest of us should be satisfied with that, that’s maybe easier said than done but that (still) should be the case ...

Last edited:
John sent me this uke, I sent him an unrepairable ‘20s Gibson (heh). Fair trade, I say! The back of that uke had “I love you Frank -1928” scratched on the back, it just seemed right to send this one on a journey.

There is no end date either of us expect, but I know I’m not the only one curious where it will be in 10 years. It’s actually the world’s uke now.

Top Bottom