Timms Traveling Ukulele -Update

John sent me this uke, I sent him an unrepairable ‘20s Gibson (heh). Fair trade, I say! The back of that uke had “I love you Frank -1928” scratched on the back, it just seemed right to send this one on a journey.

There is no end date either of us expect, but I know I’m not the only one curious where it will be in 10 years. It’s actually the world’s uke now.
Thanks Neal, always good to have a bit of background and perspective.
I wonder what John did with the Gibson? John’s a man who seems to restore the unrepairable and as it happens I’m often called Frank ... perhaps it’s meant to end up with me one day. 🤔😁

Thanks Neal, always good to have a bit of background and perspective.
I wonder what John did with the Gibson? John’s a man who seems to restore the unrepairable and as it happens I’m often called Frank ... perhaps it’s meant to end up with me one day. 🤔😁
I believe it was relegated to a wall..:).

If anyone is interested in the back story of the Travelling Timms, this thread relates how it came into my hands.

There seem to be two threads about this particular uke. Anyway, it has been returned to me for a light fettling after it was stuck in Japan for three years owing to difficulties arising from the Covid pandemic. I'll give it a couple of weeks to give it time to acclimatise to the temperature and humidity here then I'll polish it up a bit. The fret board is looking rather dry. Photos to follow.

I took The Travelling Timms to the uke camping weekend at Stratford upon Avon recently. There were about a dozen of us in attendance, pretending to enjoy ourselves in the wet and windy conditions! The uke acquired a few more signatures and was admired by all. It still sounds great.

It has now been from England to Norway; the USA; France; Wales and Japan. I wonder where its next adventure will take it?
The Travelling Timms - 23-07-2023.jpg

Looks like it lost a few signatures since July 2019, mostly by the horse head. What a wonderful act by Neal and a great story behind it.

Looks like it lost a few signatures since July 2019, mostly by the horse head. What a wonderful act by Neal and a great story behind it.
You're right Joe, sadly. The signatures from the 2019 camping weekend were inadvertently wiped off. The occasion is still marked by the horses head and "Hollesley. '19". I've bought a small electronic engraving tool. All the remaining script and markings are now lightly engraved into the surface.

i somehow missed this story and journey until last night and reading the thread.
what a fantastic thing this is you fellas! :)

you mentioned the 'seasons of the ukulele':
back in early 2013, we did a similar thing with a little white Mahalo soprano ukulele -
it was sent off from home-base in New South Wales, Australia,
made its way around Europe and across North America and finally, after a year or so,
ended up with me in Tasmania before it went back to pabrizzer in New South Wales.
i believe Brian still has the instrument to this day.

it would be great if you passed the Timms onto Chris! though in fairness,
it;s been a long, long while since he posted anything on the seasons board -
might just be the encouragement/impetus he needs to do so again!

this is the thread that was made about the
'Little White Uke Around The World':
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...-uke-around-the-world-waltzing-matilda.74806/
(i'm the 'eugene' at the bottom of the list in the OP)

cheers!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure I have posted a link to this video before, but it doesn't seem to be in this thread, so here is the Travelling Timms being played by 'Almuzo' (Alan Townsend) backstage at the annual Porthcawl Elvis festival:

Top Bottom