Timms Traveling Ukulele -Update

Beautiful. Wonder if this gem will ever look like the Konter uke. That’s one of its hopes, the uke whispered to me in a British accent (not sure of the dialect) as I was packing him up to send to Mr. Colter (Fluff).

Quick moderator's note: I've been behind on responding to reports, for which I apologize. I'm especially sorry that my delay allowed this thread to drift so far off topic.

As much as we value off-topic discursions here at UU, there are numerous, far more appropriate threads where we can consider the relative merits of ukulele scales in general. Indeed, none of the posts I've removed here would out of place on those threads. They were all fine if they were only in the right place. This thread is about the worldwide travels of one specific, special ukulele, and it deserves to be kept that way.

My apologies again for my delay replying to the reports we received.

Regards,
Tim
Mod

Nice shot, Corinto! Seeing "Bwlch 9/23" up by the heel made me realise that folk might wonder what it means. I inscribed that to mark a visit I made (Sept. 2023) to a place in the valleys of North Wales where military aircraft often fly very low training missions. I go there from time to time to take photos of the planes. While waiting and hoping for an F15 to scorch overhead, I amuse myself by playing and singing.
At Bwlch on the Mach Loop - 04-09-2023.jpg

I think I’m not “mis-remembering” that there was a photo essay of a red chair or a stuffed animal, or maybe both, that had traveled the world. But I think it was one or 2 people that did it.

I think I’m not “mis-remembering” that there was a photo essay of a red chair or a stuffed animal, or maybe both, that had traveled the world. But I think it was one or 2 people that did it.
The Red Couch (the original). Sorry, but I can't find a link to it. There have been many copycat versions since.

Apparantly, it all started in the early 1970s with a garden gnome travelling to the South Pole... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_gnome It's also a major plot element in Le Fabuleux Desting d'Amélie Poulain (2001 - with great music by Yann Thiersen, by the way). The Toy Voyagers, plushy stuffed animals, were similar to that (objects travelling the world and being photographed near landmarks), but have the addition of being passed on between people.

Apparantly, it all started in the early 1970s with a garden gnome travelling to the South Pole... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travelling_gnome It's also a major plot element in Le Fabuleux Desting d'Amélie Poulain (2001 - with great music by Yann Thiersen, by the way). The Toy Voyagers, plushy stuffed animals, were similar to that (objects travelling the world and being photographed near landmarks), but have the addition of being passed on between people.
And then there was Flat Stanley who was mailed around the world, photos taken of Flat Stanley enjoying the sights with his host.

All this reminds me of a bloke I used to work with. He was fanatically keen on riding his pedal bicycle. One year he rode it from the Midlands up to the very top of Scotland on the eastern side, then right across, finally making his way back to England down the west side.

He showed us his holiday photos with great pride; every one was a shot of his bike - by the Forth Bridge; at John O' Groats; halfway up a glen; parked in front of a waterfall; by a herd of Highland cattle; overlooking Loch Ness.

That bike had a great holiday.

I love the Travelling Timms. It's a wonderful thing!
Hoping this goes on until civiliSation ends, and it gets to Canada. (“S” in honor of my friends in the UK who spell correctly, yet somehow call a “ car trunk” a “boot”.)

Hoping this goes on until civiliSation ends, and it gets to Canada. (“S” in honor of my friends in the UK who spell correctly, yet somehow call a “ car trunk” a “boot”.)
And they call a car hood a “bonnet.” I heard the word frequently as a child growing up in Halifax, NS, and, for whatever reason, it stuck. To this day, 70 years later, I still refer to the hood as an engine bonnet. When people look at me questioningly, it takes me a minute to remember the term that they know it as (hood). I’m fascinated by how the brain collects, stores, and retrieves information.
Sorry for going off topic. Will get back on by saying, if the Travelling Timms could talk, the tales it would tell!!

…yet somehow call a “ car trunk” a “boot”.
And yet the name "frunk" (front + trunk) has somehow become the norm for the storage space at the front of electric cars, when the far more charming "froot" was right there 🙂

Top Bottom