Song Help Request Tired of just strumming. Help need some solo riffs.

justincaseuke81

Reaction score
Been playing for about a year now and am tired of just strumming. Can anyone give me a link or some help finding some riffs to break up the same old strumming to livin up a song. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading!!!

There are dozens of youtube videos on fingerpicking, plucking, rolling etc. for a different sound on your uke. I am really tired of strumming as well and I have been at it for over 2 years. I'm just about to take a 4 week class in my area for the next level on playing the ukulele. I'm hoping to learn some other methods of playing. In the meantime, I watch alot of youtube and struggle along with fingerpicking. Hopefully some instruction will help Good luck.

My musical tastes lean more towards bluegrass and early country music. When I picked up the uke earlier this year I immediately found that strumming chords wasn't fullfilling, or meeting my desire to play the sort of music that I prefer.

Although I think it's harder to learn - especially for a new player like myself, I've concentrated on finger picking and learning to pick with a flatpick, ala Travis style. I think that it's helped to lay a solid foundation for the future because of the work my right hand has to do to pick cleanly each and every note and the dexterity being thrust upon my left hand fingers. I think it will help me to be a better and more versatile player in the long run.

"Addicted" is right, there are lots of you tube videos and written tutorials on the Interweb about finger picking and flat picking the ukulele. I started with finger picking banjo and guitar rolls to begin to develop the dexterity and muscle memory needed. Recently I started flat picking various scales to work on technique (alternate picking etc) and speed as well as riffs and pieces of songs like "Dueling Banjos", again to work on speed and technique. Learning scales has also started me on the long process of really understanding the fret board and understanding how music is built and created.

It's a long process and I'm getting faster and cleaner with my picking. It's a long slow road, but hey - learning to play the ukulele is all about the journey and not about the destination....right?

Last edited:
Thanks all for the good advice. ezfolk.com is a really good site. I think this will quench my thirst for awile. Thanks a lot kleblanc.

Top Bottom