Today's Chuckle

To add to this history lesson…
I live in Contra Costa County (opposite coast) near San Francisco. Contra Costa was split into two counties, Alameda (which is now truly contra costa to San Francisco) and CC County.
The Donner / Reed party was named that because the Donner family and Reed family were the richest - that was protocol
Donners followed another wagon train that was ahead of them. That party, call it the Smith party. Smith settled in Contra Costa and when the counTy was split, the split came through his house.
The Donners had no guide. They relied on information sent back to them from the previous party, the ‘Smith’ party.
The guide, Langford Hastings, settled in what is now Clayton California near Mount Diablo and opened a mercury mine.
The Donner Party literally were one day off. An early snow storm trapped them.
The pass was clear, they went to sleep, that night the snow storm arrived and trapped them.

As an aside, 40+ years ago we eloped to Lake Tahoe in early spring. As we headed home to San Francisco, a winter storm came through. We barely made it out. That storm closed all roads off and on for over two weeks.

A week ago more snow fell in one day than in any other 24 hour period ever recorded. I always, ALWAYS carry snow chains when I travel through those mountains.
Fascinating. When I first moved to the U.S. I lived in Clayton. I doubt Mr. Langford Hastings would recognize the place now. :)

A father buys a robot that slaps people when they lie. He decides to test it out at dinner one night. The father asks his son what he did that afternoon.

The son says, "I did some schoolwork." The robot slaps the son.

The son says, "Ok, Ok, I was at a friend's house watching movies."

Dad asks, "What movie did you watch?"

Son says, "Toy Story." The robot slaps the son.

Son says, "Ok, Ok, we were watching p0rn"

Dad says, "What? At your age I didn't even know what p0rn was." The robot slaps the father

Mom laughs and says, "Well, he certainly is your son." The robot slaps the mother.

Robot for Sale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom