Tonewoods - baritone

Wingnutz

Reaction score
Looking for some input on what you think the tonal characteristics would be for an all koa vs koa with a spruce top. I have heard that koa is bright. That might not be a bad thing for a bari, which can sound a bit muddy. I know there are plenty of other variables, but these are the two that I'm debating.
Thanks in advance!

I have a solid Acacia baritone that sounds great. Koa should be similar. It’s not as bright as my all koa tenors, which might just be due to the size. It's difficult to predict sound difference in general. My Koa KoAloha tenor is warmer than my Spruce top Moonbird. Strings can make quite a difference as well.

Found some videos of Kanile'a all koa model and spruce koa model. My ears found the spruce top a bit crisper and better depth of sound. Not that all koa didn't sound great as well. Take that with a grain of salt as cedar and ebony baritone combo is my favorite sound and look.

I'm a big walnut nut. It has a full sound and just looks gorgeous.

Found some videos of Kanile'a all koa model and spruce koa model. My ears found the spruce top a bit crisper and better depth of sound. Not that all koa didn't sound great as well. Take that with a grain of salt as cedar and ebony baritone combo is my favorite sound and look.
It's also a great combination which I would define as sweet with banger looks

Depends much more on the experience of the builder. Koa is not necessarily an easy to work tone wood and if you just slap it on a mass produced uke without fine tuning it is just decorative. To brighten up baritone a softwood top seems to be common choice.

Thanks all! I guess there is no "right" answer, but I enjoyed reading your opinions on this.

Top Bottom