Too many wraps on tuner post?

jbm

Reaction score
Is it true that wrapping a string too many times around the tuner post will cause tuning problems.

Just recently put some T2's on Kamaka soprano. They are well stretched and settled but constantly drift out of tune even after warmed up and played for a while.

Is it true that wrapping a string too many times around the tuner post will cause tuning problems.
In my experience, provided the windings don't actually overlap, there's never been an issue. This does mean somewhat fewer winds on the thicker strings, depending on the individual tuning post this may be as few as two or three turns.

Ha ha. Didn't fix typo sorry. If the strings overlap it can cause all kinds of problems. They might not hit the nut at the right angle, or the tuning might become unstable. I've had these problems on ukes that came with the strings overlapped.

Ha ha. Didn't fix typo sorry. If the strings overlap it can cause all kinds of problems. They might not hit the nut at the right angle, or the tuning might become unstable. I've had these problems on ukes that came with the strings overlapped.

I think I'll try getting rid of some of the excess winding and clean up the nut slots. No reason for a uke like that not to stay reasonably in tune.

Thanks again

most inexpensive ukes I've gotten straight from a factory have had too many {overlapping} windings. It makes tuning less accurate. Easy fix, just loosen the string, pull through enough excess to have 2-3 windings, you can go more on the thinner strings, just don't let them start overlapping. Oh, and make the windings go down, not up. I use my finger to get them started.

Last edited:
Not only that, but I just found out that wrapping them above the hole causes the string to drop from the nut at the wrong angle. I heard that this can cause intonation issues. So now all mine are wrapped below the hole. You'd think I'd have known theis a long time ago, I been changing strings for 4 years now! Doh!

Top Bottom