Top Ten Tenors of 2023

In the past, they have had ukes that were on the previous year's list of top ten. I think a Kanile'a and an aNueNue Moonbird tenors were on two years in a row.

The three main people at SUS play and rank the ukes nominated and they take the highest average rankings for inclusion.

Top 10 from a uke store! Are those the top 10 that sell the best, or the top 10 they have in inventory at end of year and need to get rid off?
The idea that they need to 'run down inventory they need to get rid of' is laughable when you look at what is on the list. Most of these ukes they can't get in quickly enough due to demand. The 4SB uke has only recently been released.

The video explains what it is - their top 10 of their range for the year. Based on customer interest and their own likes and dislikes.

The idea that they need to 'run down inventory they need to get rid of' is laughable when you look at what is on the list. Most of these ukes they can't get in quickly enough due to demand. The 4SB uke has only recently been released.

The video explains what it is - their top 10 of their range for the year. Based on customer interest and their own likes and dislikes.
Baz...you're a well respected source of this forum. Why don't you give us your Top Ten of 2023? I have no idea what parameters to suggest, but surely you could come up with some? Or maybe Top Ten Barrytones( pun intended). Inquiring minds want to know....

Top 10 from a uke store! Are those the top 10 that sell the best, or the top 10 they have in inventory at end of year and need to get rid off?

I agree with Baz . That first statement is way off base. Also SUS is one of the good stores.

When it comes to the possibility of Monkey business inferred in the first statement - that's the kind of thing a store in San Diego CA might pull. But I even wonder if that guy would do that to get rid of excess inventory. There are other ways to sell ukes if a dealer has too many of something and wants to move inventory.

SUS explains the parameters to their top 10 video for 2023. No monkey shines going on. SUS is respected and one of the good shops. The videos Alex puts together are informative and enjoyable to watch.

Baz...you're a well respected source of this forum. Why don't you give us your Top Ten of 2023? I have no idea what parameters to suggest, but surely you could come up with some? Or maybe Top Ten Barrytones( pun intended). Inquiring minds want to know....
Well, he does list the scores and year reviewed on the main reviews page, so not too difficult to put them in order yourself.

Well, he does list the scores and year reviewed on the main reviews page, so not too difficult to put them in order yourself.
For 2023 (to date), here are the top 10 scoring ukes from Baz's review page:

1. BROGÄRDE BOATPADDLE TENOR - 9.6 out of 10 (Nov 2023)
2. ANTICA UKULELERIA GALILEO TENOR - 9.5 out of 10 (Feb 2023)
2. DJ MORGAN VINTAGE STYLE SOPRANO - 9.5 out of 10 (Sep 2023)
2. KANILE'A K-1 B DELUXE BARITONE - 9.5 out of 10 (Jul 2023)
2. OHANA CUSTOM DTK-2 DELUXE TENOR - 9.5 out of 10 (Jul 2023)
6. FANNER PIXELATOR THINLINE TENOR - 9.4 out of 10 (Feb 2023)
6. RAY VINCENT TENOR UKULELE - 9.4 out of 10 (May 2023)
8. ANUENUE UT100 SITKA BIRD TENOR - 9.3 out of 10 (Sep 2023)
8. PHIL DAVIDSON TENOR - 9.3 out of 10 (July 2023)
8. KOALOHA ROYAL PIKAKE MANGO LONGNECK SOPRANO PINEAPPLE - 9.3 out of 10 (Apr 2023)

Ties are in alphabetical order. Only the DJ Morgan was under 500 at time of review and the highest score for a uke under 50 was the Flight UTS-35 at 8.8.

I have on my Facebook page! They were of the instruments I reviewed in 2023 (so not necessarily new ukes from 2023) - plus there are two yet to go so the list may adjust

They are

10 - Koaloha Royal Pikake Long Neck Soprano - 9.3 out of 10

9 - aNueNue UT100 Sitka Bird Tenor - 9.3 out of 10

8 - Phil Davidson Tenor - 9.3 out of 10

7 - Fanner Pixelator Thinline Tenor - 9.4 out of 10

6 - Ray Vincent Tenor Ukulele - 9.4 out of 10

5- Ohana Custom DTK-2 Deluxe Tenor - 9.5 out of 10

4 - Kanile'a K-1B Baritone Deluxe - 9.5 out of 10

3 - DJ Morgan Vintage Style Soprano - 9.5 out of 10

2 - Antica Ukuleleria Galileo Tenor - 9.5 out of 10

1 - Brogärde Tenor Boatpaddle - 9.6 out of 10

I would also add - when the scores are this high on my site, honestly - they are all damn good and you could re-arrange this list and I wouldn't argue. Number 1 and 2 spots for example - whilst 0.1 point apart are pretty much damn equal. The Brogärde shaded it as it is much less costly - but that's the only real difference.

Last edited:
I have on my Facebook page! They were of the instruments I reviewed in 2023 (so not necessarily new ukes from 2023) - plus there are two yet to go so the list may adjust

They are

10 - Koaloha Royal Pikake Long Neck Soprano - 9.3 out of 10

9 - aNueNue UT100 Sitka Bird Tenor - 9.3 out of 10

8 - Phil Davidson Tenor - 9.3 out of 10

7 - Fanner Pixelator Thinline Tenor - 9.4 out of 10

6 - Ray Vincent Tenor Ukulele - 9.4 out of 10

5- Ohana Custom DTK-2 Deluxe Tenor - 9.5 out of 10

4 - Kanile'a K-1B Baritone Deluxe - 9.5 out of 10

3 - DJ Morgan Vintage Style Soprano - 9.5 out of 10

2 - Antica Ukuleleria Galileo Tenor - 9.5 out of 10

1 - Brogärde Tenor Boatpaddle - 9.6 out of 10

I would also add - when the scores are this high on my site, honestly - they are all damn good and you could re-arrange this list and I wouldn't argue. Number 1 and 2 spots for example - whilst 0.1 point apart are pretty much damn equal. The Brogärde shaded it as it is much less costly - but that's the only real difference.
It's interesting that of the top ten, seven are tenors, one is a baritone, one is a soprano, and one is a long-neck soprano (AKA a small-bodied concert). I'm a tenor guy myself, so I don't mind that mix, but if I was a big devotee of sopranos or concerts, I'd be feeling kind of left out.

It's interesting that of the top ten, seven are tenors, one is a baritone, one is a soprano, and one is a long-neck soprano (AKA a small-bodied concert). I'm a tenor guy myself, so I don't mind that mix, but if I was a big devotee of sopranos or concerts, I'd be feeling kind of left out.
The list is just how the highest scores came in the year Larry - no indication of my views on scale - just what was sent to me

They are a retailer and conveniently ignore brands that they do not sell.
As much as we love these videos from SUS and others they are basically infomercials. I do enjoy the sound samples and information but need to remember they're trying to sell product. That being said, I hope the various stores continue making the videos

The list is just how the highest scores came in the year Larry - no indication of my views on scale - just what was sent to me
I understand that this isn’t based on any preference for a particular scale instrument. It just seems that the tenor size is dominating the market. That’s OK for me, but for those that play sopranos or concerts, maybe not so much.

I understand that this isn’t based on any preference for a particular scale instrument. It just seems that the tenor size is dominating the market. That’s OK for me, but for those that play sopranos or concerts, maybe not so much.
Agreed - 9 times out of 10 when a brand offers to send something it will be a tenor these day. They do sell the best.

I only play concert size and actually like that the market is dominated by tenors. Cuts down on UAS. :D

Top Bottom