Trigger thumb anyone?

JohnC

Reaction score
I hope this is in the right place. If not, maybe a moderator could move It? I couldn’t find a more appropriate place. Thanks.

Today I had surgery to correct a condition known as trigger thumb on my right thumb. Two months ago I had to have surgery to fix the left thumb. Apparently it’s not uncommon but not much fun either. It gets pretty painful until it’s fixed. I’m wondering if others have experienced it and how it worked out for them. My left one seems to be doing fine (other than the arthritis they can’t fix). Just hoping it doesn’t move on to the other eight digits. (y) LoL

Thanks.

As good a place as any, @JohnC, especially to the extent that it was caused by it affects your ukulele playing!

My wife had this, and before surgery, it was debilitating. That was maybe 15 years ago, and a single twinge since. On THAT finger. (It was the one she calls "the business finger", and I'll let you guess which one that is. 🤣)

But in fact, she's got a lot of pain in a new finger and is very much looking forward to getting it operated on ASAP. So maybe it's something that don't people are prone to? But in any case, her experience is that the ones ya fix stay fixed.

Good luck, man!

No trigger thumb, @JohnC, but I’ve had a couple of trigger fingers—left pinky and right ring finger. I’ve had two steroid injections in each one so far, and while this helped for a little while each time, the triggering came back after each shot. Next step is surgery, but I’m dreading it and haven’t scheduled it yet.

As good a place as any, @JohnC, especially to the extent that it was caused by it affects your ukulele playing!

My wife had this, and before surgery, it was debilitating. That was maybe 15 years ago, and a single twinge since. On THAT finger. (It was the one she calls "the business finger", and I'll let you guess which one that is. 🤣)

But in fact, she's got a lot of pain in a new finger and is very much looking forward to getting it operated on ASAP. So maybe it's something that don't people are prone to? But in any case, her experience is that the ones ya fix stay fixed.

Good luck, man!
Thanks Tim. I blame a lot of things on getting older but it seems my rheumatoid arthritis also gets blamed for a lot of medical issues. Getting old ain’t for sissies. ;)

No trigger thumb, @JohnC, but I’ve had a couple of trigger fingers—left pinky and right ring finger. I’ve had two steroid injections in each one so far, and while this helped for a little while each time, the triggering came back after each shot. Next step is surgery, but I’m dreading it and haven’t scheduled it yet.
My doctor (whom I’ve known 20 years and who had already done 5 different surgeries on me) told me mine was at a point shots don’t tend to be very helpful. The only good side to it is that they can do the surgery with a local anesthetic, which is so awesome.

told me mine was at a point shots don’t tend to be very helpful. The only good side to it is that they can do the surgery with a local anesthetic, which is so awesome.

Yeah, the first time, cortisone worked for a couple of weeks. This time, they said it wouldn't.

And yeah, the surgery nowadays is in-office, that's a few minutes, local anesthesia, and ready to be back in action in very short order indeed.

One's mileage varies of course, but it's pretty direct these days. Maybe one of the benefits of there being so many of us getting older, that the science can get as streamlined as this? 🤣

Yeah, the first time, cortisone worked for a couple of weeks. This time, they said it wouldn't.

And yeah, the surgery nowadays is in-office, that's a few minutes, local anesthesia, and ready to be back in action in very short order indeed.

One's mileage varies of course, but it's pretty direct these days. Maybe one of the benefits of there being so many of us getting older, that the science can get as streamlined as this? 🤣
I still had to go to the outpatient surgery center for both of mine but getting in and out was a breeze. I checked in at 6:30, started at 7:30, had surgery and recover, out the door at 8:00. Was able to drive down and back myself. If you have to have surgery, that is THE way to go. Trust me, I know. :ROFLMAO:

I should also add that it is nice to have it behind you. You also don’t want to create more problems by ignoring it for too long. The tendon can atrophy if you don’t let it stretch out. Just be careful. ;)

I hope this is in the right place. If not, maybe a moderator could move It? I couldn’t find a more appropriate place. Thanks.

Today I had surgery to correct a condition known as trigger thumb on my right thumb. Two months ago I had to have surgery to fix the left thumb. Apparently it’s not uncommon but not much fun either. It gets pretty painful until it’s fixed. I’m wondering if others have experienced it and how it worked out for them. My left one seems to be doing fine (other than the arthritis they can’t fix). Just hoping it doesn’t move on to the other eight digits. (y) LoL

Thanks.
I've had it on both thumbs and both middle fingers (I'll be waiting for the jokes on the middle fingers). Tendon releases fixed all of them. No pain, and they all work great now. Do whatever rehab they tell you.

I haven't had it in my thumbs, but have had it in several fingers. Shots first, then surgery. Hasn't come back in those fingers, but now starting in another finger.

I've had it on both thumbs and both middle fingers (I'll be waiting for the jokes on the middle fingers). Tendon releases fixed all of them. No pain, and they all work great now. Do whatever rehab they tell you.
Has anybody told either of you why it keeps continuing to happen to multiple digits? Is there some kind of relationship between the first one and then future ones?

Has anybody told either of you why it keeps continuing to happen to multiple digits? Is there some kind of relationship between the first one and then future ones?
Happened different years and I don't know why. I've used mopeds as my cars since I was 17, so maybe braking and using throttle? I got my dad's rotten joints. Bilateral tendontis from computers, knee issues, back problems (drunk in a Caddie vs moped. Guess who won)... Stinks but we all have something I guess. Good luck with yours.

I have trigger on middle right hand finger, which I've let go for a long time, but recently it started to hurt and intefere a bit playing bass uke. I scheduled the surgery for April 30, simple procedure I'm told and can use the finger very soon after.

Happened different years and I don't know why. I've used mopeds as my cars since I was 17, so maybe braking and using throttle? I got my dad's rotten joints. Bilateral tendontis from computers, knee issues, back problems (drunk in a Caddie vs moped. Guess who won)... Stinks but we all have something I guess. Good luck with yours.
Thanks. I've had boatloads of orthopedic issues/surgeries over the years. (and some non orthopedic as well) One bicycle crash lead to four surgeries, yet most of the rest were just anomalies of everyday life. And yet I know some people who have never seen a doctor in their life for anything. Go figure.

No, even though the same surgeon repaired all of them, she never gave a hint of why it occurs on multiple digits. Then again, I never asked her.

But in fact, she's got a lot of pain in a new finger and is very much looking forward to getting it operated on ASAP.
😳? She grew a new finger? I bet that can hurt yeah 😁.

All jokes aside, best of luck (to all you sick people in here) with the op' and rehab. 🍀
I had a carpal boss removed years ago (left hand). Doctor said playing was good exercise.

😳? She grew a new finger? I bet that can hurt yeah 😁.

Haha! Yes, said clumsily.

Anyway, she was scheduled for surgery first-thing Thursday, but traffic between here and there is kinda tricky, so we played it safe, and rolled up half an hour early. Since hers was the first operation of the day, and everybody was already there, they said, "Give us a couple of minutes to finish setting up, and we'll go ahead and get started."

So yeah, they took a couple of minutes to finish setting up, gave a local anesthetic (good ol' novacaine!), and 2 minutes later, she was done! From anesthetic to settling the bill was maybe 10 minutes total. We were shocked how quickly it went! In fact, we were back in our car before the appointment time, and we got out of the parking garage for free because they don't charge for the first half hour.

I mean, it was fast when she got the first operation done in 2008 or whatever it was, but this time, it was FAST!!!!

Since she just had it done, there's still a tiny bit of stiffness, but getting better quickly, and no pain whatsoever. She's anticipating another speedy and full recovery this time, just like last time. Again, her experience is that fingers that get repaired stay repaired, and so far so good once again.

I know it's a scary thing to contemplate letting someone take a scalpel to your hand, but we can add two more anecdotes to the pile of anecdotal evidence here that it's likely to be nothing too difficult, and will make everything better fast. :)

I had my second thumb done two weeks ago. Both with a local. Awesome being able to drive over and back yourself. Both times I was first up but I still had to get there an hour and a half before the doctor. Thems the rules.

Everything healing up just fine. It’s awesome having a doctor you’ve known 20 years and can trust.

Top Bottom