triplets

ripock

Reaction score
I am just curious what other people do for their triplet strums.

Obviously, any combination of strums will work. For example one could just do three downstrokes as if he or she were a guitarist in a punk rock band.

Any combo will work as long as you practice it and get the groove into your muscle memory.

I strum with a loose fist with the ring finger being the main plectrum. That being said I play triplets as: 1) fingers down; 2) thumb down; 3) fingers up.

The one advantage to my rather eccentric strumming is that I can fan the fingers or play them synchronously.

But what do others do?

I first learned from a Jake video telling me to go down with the index then up with the thumb and up with the index. Then I learned to go down with the index, down with the thumb and up with the index. And a third way I learned is the showy fan triplet which goes down with the pinky, down with the thumb and then up with the index. I use the second method most and then the fan method. I almost never use the Jake method anymore, but it's in my bag of tricks just in case.

It sounds like we're essentially doing the same thing and that is gratifying. The thing I like about triplets isn't the sound but the hand movement. There is a kind of circular pattern that one develops when strumming triplets. It is like the sign for "I am sorry" in ASL. In reference to your sig line, something that drives me up the wall is people using literally when they don't mean literally; they mean figuratively or they just mean totally.

I first learned from a Jake video telling me to go down with the index then up with the thumb and up with the index. Then I learned to go down with the index, down with the thumb and up with the index. And a third way I learned is the showy fan triplet which goes down with the pinky, down with the thumb and then up with the index. I use the second method most and then the fan method. I almost never use the Jake method anymore, but it's in my bag of tricks just in case.
Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind.

It sounds like we're essentially doing the same thing and that is gratifying. The thing I like about triplets isn't the sound but the hand movement. There is a kind of circular pattern that one develops when strumming triplets. It is like the sign for "I am sorry" in ASL. In reference to your sig line, something that drives me up the wall is people using literally when they don't mean literally; they mean figuratively or they just mean totally.
I'm sorry whenever I try to strum triplets.

I have been doing index down, thumb down, thumb up. My index comes back up along with my thumb, to get ready to go down again.

I have been working on Timple technique a bit, and the technique I am seeing is index down, thumb up index up. That is used for triplets or an 8th followed by 2 16th notes. I think it’s a versatile technique but I don’t have a good command of it yet.

Kimo Hussey has a triplet tutorial video that is similar to Jake's, but in a different order. Personally, once I practice any of these, they are pretty easy to play by muscle memory, but switching between them gets confusing.

Top Bottom