tuner not strong enough for wound low G on my tenor uke

westbrown

Reaction score
Hi,

TL;DR - need recommendation on machine head strong enough for a wound low G string on a tenor uke

I have a tenor uke that I bought in 2019. It came with a wound low G string, and kept in tune pretty well. However, the machine head for the low G string failed. I could get no information either from the shop I bought it at or the manufacturer on what to replace it with. Took it to a guitar shop, and the machine head they put on it is too weak to hold a wound string in tune (.029 wound classical guitar string). So I'm looking for a recommendation on a machine head replacement that's strong enough. It would be great if no drilling was required, but I have no idea how standard any of this is.

Thanks for any recommendations!

IMG-3818.jpg

Thanks for the response! So the failed tuner just started spinning without creating or holding tension. Like something was stripped. I don't have it any more to show. This tuner (the white one) just fails to hold tension in the string.

A wound low G string wouldn't necessarily have a higher tension than the other strings, or a high G string, so you should be good with any replacement tuner. Maybe the one you had installed is defective.

Yeah, something doesn't make sense here. Is there an adjustment screw that may need tightening? Is the string actually slipping at the bridge end somehow? Are you trying to tune an octave too high (but that would usually result in a snapped string)? Even cheapest of the cheap uke tuners should work with any uke string

Hello westbrown.
It's possible that the new replacement tuner has gone bad but not likely. Does the tuner that is slipping have a screw head on the edge of the tuning peg itself, the black part?
If it does turn the screw clockwise about an 1/8th of a turn and see if it stops slipping. Continue to turn the screw in small increments till the tuner no longer slips. Just don't overtightened it
If there is no screw on the peg, the only other thing I can think of is, the string is slipping on the peg from being strung incorrectly.
Hope any of this helps.

Thanks Joe T - I've tried tightening the screw a bit, and we'll see how it works. I've played guitar for many years, so I don't think there's a problem with how I've put the string on. I've played for a bit and it seems to be holding. So we'll see if it's still in tune tomorrow! Thanks everyone for the advice.

Thanks Joe T - I've tried tightening the screw a bit, and we'll see how it works. I've played guitar for many years, so I don't think there's a problem with how I've put the string on. I've played for a bit and it seems to be holding. So we'll see if it's still in tune tomorrow! Thanks everyone for the advice.
Glad to hear that was the ticket westbrown. Every once in awhile the screws may loosen a bit and you can tighten them when you notice the tuner is slipping. Just remember that is an adjustment and you don't want to over tighten it. 👍

Amatuer advice incoming, take it with a grain of salt: Your tuning gears appear to be one of the most common designs and should be easy to replace. Just make sure the screw holes line up with the new ones. I suspect the tuning peg is misaligned or broken somehow inside the gear housing. If you'd rather try and fix it: Remove the string. Remove the tuning paddle retaining screw. Remove the paddle. Seat the tuning post completely flush with the gear housing. Note if both washers(white and black) are in place beneath the tuning paddle. Put it back together while maintaining the tension to keep the tuning post flush with the gear housing. I'd just order a new set of tuners and strings and replace all of them.

Amatuer advice incoming, take it with a grain of salt: Your tuning gears appear to be one of the most common designs and should be easy to replace. Just make sure the screw holes line up with the new ones. I suspect the tuning peg is misaligned or broken somehow inside the gear housing. If you'd rather try and fix it: Remove the string. Remove the tuning paddle retaining screw. Remove the paddle. Seat the tuning post completely flush with the gear housing. Note if both washers(white and black) are in place beneath the tuning paddle. Put it back together while maintaining the tension to keep the tuning post flush with the gear housing. I'd just order a new set of tuners and strings and replace all of them.
Hey Stoneyrun. Thanks for the input. The OP, westbrown, solved the problem , read post #8. The tuners are fine.

Top Bottom