Tuner question, (overkill?)

The idea that you should only ever use your ears when you have a perfectly good electronic device or tuner app available is just silly. At the beginner stage you just use the tuner and get on with learning. As you learn more and train your ears, then you move on to starting with a tuner to save time and fine tuning by ear once you know you have tuned to the standard and the instrument is in good working order.
Respectfully, I disagree with you. And frankly, I feel some of what you've safd comes across as a little bit arrogant.

Tuners have their uses in a room full of other musicians, but you will learn much faster at home if you start by learning to tune your instrument to itself. Tuning by ear is the first step to learning to play by ear, and when you can do that a whole world of music opens up to you.

As to discussions about tuning pitch in public, it is none of my business what open mic guy thinks of my thoughts on tuning and none of his business what I think of his. I would never say any of this to someone who hadn't actually asked me a question about it like they did here. If I started pontificating about it, I'd be holding everyone else at the open mic up too.

Yea my wife short cutter me on this, I was going to get a uke with a solid top in the $150 range. Some day if I played ok I was going to get one of the "K" Hawaiian Made one. Well she got me a KoAloha KCM-00. I have logged over 2 hours on Yousician and can't play at all. Turns out is harder than flying a plane. ugg.
What a lovely wife! Now, use it to make something beautiful.

Consider yourself very lucky. Nobody is abusing their snarks, its just a bad design...that necessitated a "fix". Don't know how those newer, improved ones have held up.
I have a number of Snark tuners which have held up well over the years. I also have one of the newer improved ones. It is definitely a lot sturdier than the older models.

I'm happy with my old Korg CA-30 chromatic. Simple operation, simple AAA batteries. Or a 440 tuning fork, really simple and no batteries! I sometimes use a Kratt pitch pipe that I've checked the "A" on using the Korg.

Doesn't clip on, no fear of damaging a headstock.

Question - why do people obsess over one set of tuning machines weighing 2 ounces more than another, but think nothing of what the clip on tuner weighs, that they leave in place? ...

Yea my wife knew I was researching, my plan was to get a uke with a solid top in the $150 range. Some day if I played ok I was going to get one of the "K" Hawaiian Made one. Well she got me a KoAloha KCM-00. I have logged over 2 hours on Yousician and can't play at all. Turns out is harder than flying a plane. ugg. I am sure I will end up with a collection if I can play.
Ah yes, "yousician". A couple very astute youngsters in the reddit ukulele sub remarked that after a year of playing ukulele with yousician, they realized they learned to play yousician and not the ukulele. ;)

And the Woo frequencies of A = 432Hz and C5 = 528Hz, they are great to discuss in the coffee break, not while the group wants to belt out some tunes. If you are interested in them, they can be a good gateway into discovering the world of Temperaments and music mathematics.

That really can come across as incredibly pompous if you aren't careful.

OP - be careful what rabbit hole you fall into!

Last edited:
Okay, thinking some more about WHY I use the Peterson almost exclusively, one thing I like about it, and the stroboscopic approach in general, is that it really highlights the organic, interactive nature of creating a note. That is, it's not JUST that the STRING is making the note, but the string in combination with how you're plucking the string, and if applicable, how you're fretting. You can WATCH the note go in or out of tune as you adjust your playing, which I find is a better place to focus your energy. It's only in tune if the string is at the right tension AND you're PLAYING it right. Nothing like a strobe for exploring those dynamics.

Not that you can't also use it like a "regular" tuner to answer the question, "Is my A string in tune or not?" You certainly can. But if you want to dig into the question, "Am I playing this note or this chord as well as I can?", then there's really no substitute for a stroboscopic tuner. Regular ones will help you tune your strings, and yeah, that's exactly the sense in which all my tuners are at least roughly interchangeable. The Peterson is the one to get if you want to also tune your PLAYING...and if you're not interested in PLAYING in tune, then why bother with a tuner at all?

I love my Peterson tuner so much that when my dog ate the first one (he didn’t eat the battery - he’s fine) I replaced it immediately (the tuner, not the dog, obviously. Although it would have been cheaper to replace the dog).

I freely admit to being extremely obsessive about tuning, but the Peterson also feels more robust and generally much better made than other tuners I’ve had.
I’ve been on the fence for a while but you two have convinced me. I’m getting a Peterson tuner. I‘ve been faithful to my Oahu for over a year, but there are times when I just don’t believe what it’s telling me. Same with all the Snarks and D’Addarios I’ve had. Is there a particular model you recommend?

My first tuner was a Donner that came with a beginner kit. As soon as I started spending more on a better ukulele, I got a Peterson. I got it because I wanted a good reference. Turns our my little Donner was spot on. I ordered another $10 Donner, and it was not nearly so accurate. I think that is an issue with inexpensive tuners, there isn't sufficient quality control. I like the Peterson, but my wife hates it. She likes the Oahu and Snark and Donner tuners. I don't like the Snark, because it is so large. I also have a D'Addario micro that I really like. It seems quite accurate and I like the form factor--it's small, adjustable, bright and easy to use. I am interested in rechargeable, but truthfully, my tuners don't seem to burn batteries that quickly, and I am using cheap no name batteries that I buy 10-20 at a time. Depending on what I buy, it is 25-50 cents per battery. In a year of playing, I don't think I have changed batteries more than two or three times for all of my tuners. I have a 2032 spare in each case, so whatever tuner I throw in, I know I have a spare.

I also tune by ear, and I have a tendency to tweak my tuning slightly if I'm playing a piece and the chords don't sound quite right to me.

Ah yes, "yousician". A couple very astute youngsters in the reddit ukulele sub remarked that after a year of playing ukulele with yousician, they realized they learned to play yousician and not the ukulele. ;)
I am kinda getting that feeling. It does remind me of the game guitar hero, and I am not a gamer. I my have to switch to the lessons here once the Christmas bills are paid.

I use a Snark. It suits me fine. I also use the two built in tuners either side of my head. I grew up playing guitar in an age when you didn’t have clip on tuners or apps. We did have electricity and indoor plumbing though so there is that 👍

I’ve always had good results with Snarks. I like that they’re fully chromatic and the display is bright and easy to read.

You should also practice tuning to your own neck, but 99% if the tune, I just use the tuner.

I use a Snark. It suits me fine. I also use the two built in tuners either side of my head. I grew up playing guitar in an age when you didn’t have clip on tuners or apps. We did have electricity and indoor plumbing though so there is that 👍
I played keyboards in a terrible band in the age before clip on tuners, which might be partly why I’m so obsessive about tuning - the built in tuners on either side of our guitarist’s head were definitely defective 🤣

I played keyboards in a terrible band in the age before clip on tuners, which might be partly why I’m so obsessive about tuning - the built in tuners on either side of our guitarist’s head were definitely defective 🤣
Well, I'm a bit fed up of the weird obsessive tuner in my group. So I suppose, that makes us even! 😀

Top Bottom