Tuner question, (overkill?)

I think that’s the one I’ll go with. Might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb, or however the saying goes.
Patty, I have one on pre-order. Couldn't resist, I love my current Peterson but I like that the new one is rechargeable and you can choose the display color that works best for you.

I think that’s the one I’ll go with. Might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb, or however the saying goes.
Mine's arriving today. Also getting a D"addario rechargeable tuner.

Is it overkill? Probably.
Did I get one anyway, a few years ago? Oh yeah!

Can I hear the difference in accuracy from my Snark? No.
Do I regret the purchase? No 🙂.

Compared to lots of ukes, this is a gear acquisition that takes less space and money.

My first uke came with a Kala branded cheap clip on tuner. It worked fine, and better than the old non-clip-on tuner I had for my guitar.
I got myself a Snark. I cant hear the difference, but the bigger size clip and display makes it more convenient to use. Easier to put on and off etc.
I then got the Peterson Stroboclip. At first I found the strobe thing confusing compared to the usual display. And the clip size is not as generous as on the Snark. But I feel very serious when I use it 😆.

To be honest, I kept using the Snark for a while after I got the Peterson. But I feel it silly to replace batteries in both. So for now I chose to only power the "good one".

Peterson is releasing a new rechargeable model (StroboClip HDC). Available December 18th.
Patty, I have one on pre-order. Couldn't resist, I love my current Peterson but I like that the new one is rechargeable and you can choose the display color that works best for you.
Yaaaaay! Mine, also pre-ordered from Sweetwater, just arrived today, free case and all. Haven’t charged it up yet—will do tomorrow. I can hardly wait to start obsessively tuning!

I use a Peterson StroboClipHD that I like very much. I also have the Peterson SroboPlusHD which is the large desktop version that works from sound, vibration with an attachment, or plugged in line if you play amplified. (I bought it used from a member several years ago.)
They both have what Peterson calls a "Sweetener" setting for several instruments that adjusts the tuner to compensate a few cents for, in the case of the ukulele, the length of the neck.
When I was reading the information on the Peterson website, it says that the Sweetener is based upon a concert scale ukulele. But they also have a downloadable software version for tenor ukuleles. I can't hear much difference between the Sweetened setting and the unsweetened one. So I leave it off. I especially like the way the Clip On folds up so it fits in the center compartment of most of my cases. (I broke several Snarks in the compartments because they don't quite fold in a way where they fit flat enough in the compartment.
I often forget which way the strobe moves for flat or sharp. But it comes back quickly.

I tend to use a Snark Ukulele tuner most of the time. I find they work reasonably well. But when sitting with a number of other uke players who are also tuning up, the Snark reads the sound of the other ukes as they make the strings on my tenors vibrate. I have to move away to get good readings. I also find that the Snark often says the string is in tune when I first pluck a string. But when I tighten the string a bit, since the strings usually stretch a little from the last time i played, and suddenly the Snark says the string is quite a bit out. Also there is some slop (leeway) in the Snark's "In tune" blue area. I can move the tuner quite a bit and the tuner says the string is still in tune. Some of my tenors require a lot of fiddling before the strings are in tune. It will say flat, flat, flat, sharp! Without going in tune. The place on the string where I pluck will also change the sensitivity as does the strength of the pluck. Other tenors seem to go into tune much quicker.
Snark suggests that if you are having trouble getting one string into tune, move the Snark closer to the string that is giving trouble. I first move the tuner from one side of the top of peghead to the other side. On rare occasions I move it to the vertical open space between the tuner pegs. Changing the position of where you clip the tuner works quite well if the Snark is being finicky. Also, if you are having problems, it may be your battery that is getting weak that is causing the tuner to not work very well.

I have some D'Addario minis that I keep in the case as a backup. If I forget the Snark or it's battery dies, or the head breaks off, I have a second tuner to use. I carry a spare battery or two in my bag, just in case. I've often given a battery to a club member whose battery died. I also have a D'Addario mini that clips on in the soundhole that I have to use on one of my tenors that the Snark or Peterson tuners don't fit anywhere on the headstock. I find that the minis work better than a Snark on my tenor banjoukes.

I am leery of rechargeable tuners and pickups. If I choose my tenor at the last minute, and it has a MiSi pickup, it may not be charged. Ditto the tuner. I may have it in my gig bag and not charged it for a while. Dig out the Mini backup!

The Peterson tuners work better for checking intonation.

[Peterson StroboClipHD the Peterson SroboPlusHD] … both have what Peterson calls a "Sweetener" setting for several instruments that adjusts the tuner to compensate a few cents for, in the case of the ukulele, the length of the neck.
When I was reading the information on the Peterson website, it says that the Sweetener is based upon a concert scale ukulele.
I’ll be using the sweetener. I play concert scale, and I’ve found that even when my old tuner says I’m in tune, the strings don’t sound right to my ear. And when I tune by ear, and the strings sound to me like they’re in perfect accord, the tuner says they’re sharp. This is really why I wanted to try the Peterson.

I’ll be using the sweetener. I play concert scale, and I’ve found that even when my old tuner says I’m in tune, the strings don’t sound right to my ear. And when I tune by ear, and the strings sound to me like they’re in perfect accord, the tuner says they’re sharp. This is really why I wanted to try the Peterson.
Interesting. Your intonation may be a bit off, or sometimes when we press the string to play a note it gets sharp, particularly with low tension settings. Have you tried to increase tension by tuning up a note or using thicker strings to see if that reduces the issue? Sometimes it helps to tune to get a specific chord such as G to be spot on instead of the open gcea.

Interesting. Your intonation may be a bit off, or sometimes when we press the string to play a note it gets sharp, particularly with low tension settings. Have you tried to increase tension by tuning up a note or using thicker strings to see if that reduces the issue? Sometimes it helps to tune to get a specific chord such as G to be spot on instead of the open gcea.
Thanks, I’ll keep your suggestions in mind. This tuning frustration happens with both my ukuleles, and with different brands of fluorocarbon as well as wound strings (usually medium or high-tension).

… even when my old tuner says I’m in tune, the strings don’t sound right to my ear. And when I tune by ear, and the strings sound to me like they’re in perfect accord, the tuner says they’re sharp. This is really why I wanted to try the Peterson.
Update: I just fired up the Peterson tuner and tuned my ukes, using the sweetener setting for ukulele, and Holey Moley Eureka Hallelujah Thank You Great Spirit in the Sky! Problem solved.

I'm happy with my old Korg CA-30 chromatic. Simple operation, simple AAA batteries. Or a 440 tuning fork, really simple and no batteries! I sometimes use a Kratt pitch pipe that I've checked the "A" on using the Korg.

Doesn't clip on, no fear of damaging a headstock.

Question - why do people obsess over one set of tuning machines weighing 2 ounces more than another, but think nothing of what the clip on tuner weighs, that they leave in place? ...
I would never, ever leave a tuner attached to the ukulele. I did once, the cat knocked it off the table, dented the headstock and broke the tuner clamp on my Peterson tuner! I was wondering if kitty kat tastes like chicken....
$10 for a new clamp, ukulele still has dents.
Plus, it just looks tacky, especially on stage.

Petersen is overkill. If you insist on strobe get the tc elec for 1/4 price. Best to just get any clip on for 10 bucks. IMO Snark is a simply a popular marketing company. Their product is fragile, eats batteries, has plastic that goes gooey and sticky, and is 5x overpriced. Had 2. Both broke.
"Scuse me, but if it's overkill, why do you suppose that Baz uses one? Just curious.

"Scuse me, but if it's overkill, why do you suppose that Baz uses one? Just curious.
Actually I was thinking of their previous clip on strobe tuner which was near over $200 canadian. This new one is very reasonable

Peterson's strobe is listed as accurate to .01 cents while TC Electronics strobe is to .02 cents.
Sorry that is TC Electronics polytune at .O2
And tc electronics unitune at .05

The Unitune Clip is my go-to that goes in every bag.

The polytune is great sitting on the end table next to the couch that I play most often if I feel like just strumming and using the polytune mode for a super quick tuning.

Yes, I want to be as in tune as possible, but sometimes I'm just lazy and cheap out.

$10 for a new clamp, ukulele still has dents.
Plus, it just looks tacky, especially on stage.
Tacky because the uke had a tacky tuner on it? Or because they were cat given war wounds and not the wear and tear and general abuse of an instrument that's seen stage use?

I was playing harmonica and tenor banjo 🪕 with a “folk” band back in the early seventies. Everyone in the band would try and tune to my harmonica, and it would usually take the whole first “set” before we all fine tuned between songs and got close.
When electronic tuners came out a few years later, it was a game changer!
We could start the gig with every stringed instrument in tune…
I can tune by “ear”, but start every playing session tuning with one of my clip ons.
I have several different brands but usually use my Snark as it’s easy to read…

Top Bottom