UAS is real!!!!

Oh yes, real as it gets! I have a Tenor due to be delivered on Saturday, a Soprano coming shortly thereafter, and a Concert I just now ordered. My God! They're stacked up in a landing pattern just like airplanes on approach. I received another dozen Ukulele hangers a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to hang them on the sides of the cabinet because the cabinet is full. If I keep this up, they're going to be hanging from the ceiling because there'll be no other place for them. Seriously, I had a workman in the house the other day. He saw my room and asked me if I sold Ukuleles! I guess I do have more of them than most music stores. And, I can't bear to part with any of them.

There's no such thing as UAS. It's a myth. Don't believe in this legend. It doesn't exist I tell you...

UAS?.jpg

:p

There's no such thing as UAS. It's a myth. Don't believe in this legend. It doesn't exist I tell you...

:p

Nice collection, but I can't figure out how you made that picture. It looks like a composite.

An old saying, “The two happiest days in a sailor's life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.”

I enjoy receiving a new uke, but I'm also happy when I sell one, and my count goes down.

Last edited:
Nice collection, but I can't figure out how you made that picture. It looks like a composite.

An old saying, “The two happiest days in a sailor's life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.”

I enjoy receiving a new uke, but I'm also happy when I sell one, and my count goes down.

I’m dying to see your 60+ ukes in 1 picture. Could be a Guinness record.

I have to start selling some that I just don't play much anymore. I'm out of room!

I got bored after being home with the flu for 8 days. (I was down with it for another 10.) No, it isn't a composite. It's handheld. I did use some telephoto to compress the image. And I had enough light on it to get good depth of field with a short-ish time. Took a bunch to get one without shake. That's a big reason I love digital: you can take a huge number of photos before running out of memory. Unlike the 36 shots on a roll of 35mm film.

It is easy to write UAS off as a sickness which then takes the responsibility out of it, but really, for me, it is just no will power to say "No." Back in 2011 when I joined UU and for the next 4 years I purchased over 35 ukuleles. Then I started selling all but the keepers off (got down to 7) and I stopped reading UU for about 3 years. I was happy with my ukes. I was happy with the little bit of extra money I had in savings. Then last October I just decided to revisit my old friend UU. I was hooked again. Playing ukulele more. Engaging in discussions and then the buying and selling started. Since October 2018 to today:

Purchased:
1940's Martin style 1 Tenor
1920's Martin Style 2 Soprano
1968 Martin Style 1 Tenor
1997 KoAloha soprano
2019 Pineapple Sunday Prototype
Kiwaya FS-5 soprano
2019 KoAloha Tenor (quick passthrough)

Traded:
2011 Koaloha Tenor for 2002 Kamaka tenor

Sold:
2 Wow sopranos
1 Star Bangled Banger Soprano
1979 Vintage Kamaka HF-38
2019 KoAloha Tenor
2019 Pineapple Sunday Prototypes

Currently up for sale:
1940's Vintage Martin Style 1 tenor

Soon to go up for sale:
1 Wow
1 banger
2008 Koaloha Concert

And then tonight I made an offer for a Pono soprano in The Netherlands so that I have an uke already there when I make my annual visit.

Next week I visit the KoAloha Factory and who knows what!!!

wow-- Postage alone is a killer.

Help!!!!!!!

Last edited:
It is easy to write UAS off as a sickness which then takes the responsibility out of it, but really, for me, it is just no will power to say "No." Back in 2011 when I joined UU and for the next 4 years I purchased over 35 ukuleles. Then I started selling all but the keepers off (got down to 7) and I stopped reading UU for about 3 years. I was happy with my ukes. I was happy with the little bit of extra money I had in savings. Then last October I just decided to revisit my old friend UU. I was hooked again. Playing ukulele more. Engaging in discussions and then the buying and selling started. Since October 2018 to today:

Purchased:
1997 KoAloha soprano
Kiwaya FS-5 soprano

Traded:

Sold:
2 Wow sopranos
2019 KoAloha Tenor

Currently up for sale:

Soon to go up for sale:
1 Wow
1 banger
2008 Koaloha Concert

And then tonight I made an offer for a Pono soprano in The Netherlands so that I have an uke already there when I make my annual visit.

Next week I visit the KoAloha Factory and who knows what!!!

wow-- Postage alone is a killer.

Help!!!!!!!

Your UAS seems to be rolling along quite nicely without our “help.” :)

Pretty cool Jerry! You make the cigar boxes along with the one banjo uke? That banjo uke has a maple neck yes (I can't remember and I like the look of it)

Yes. I didn't put the banjo uke neck at enough of an angle, so it's less that perfect. I had to keep sanding down the bridge to adjust the action. Next time, I'll get it right. I like the slotted headstock necks.

No, it isn't a composite. It's handheld. I did use some telephoto to compress the image. And I had enough light on it to get good depth of field with a short-ish time. Took a bunch to get one without shake. That's a big reason I love digital: you can take a huge number of photos before running out of memory. Unlike the 36 shots on a roll of 35mm film.

Thanks. Digital is great.

Playing ukulele more. Engaging in discussions and then the buying and selling started. Since October 2018 to today:

Purchased:
1997 KoAloha soprano
Kiwaya FS-5 soprano

Traded:

Sold:
2 Wow sopranos
2019 KoAloha Tenor

Currently up for sale:

Soon to go up for sale:
1 Wow
1 banger
2008 Koaloha Concert

You forgot to put the 2019 Koaloha Tenor you sold into the purchase side. Can't sell what you don't have and couldn't have purchased it prior to 2018.

/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Sixty! Wow! Just curious, how much would you say you play your ukes per day or per week? Playing 1 per day every day would take you 2 months!

I generally play something every day. I have two or three by my TV chair, and I rotate them every few days. I haven't been playing much lately because of jobs around the house. Still, I go to two or three uke meetings a week, and I always bring one or two different ukes. I got down to 56, but then I gave in and ordered another one yesterday.

UAS is boring. If your ukes don’t serve a purpose in your playing, such as having various tunings, or size effecting finger stretches and overall sound, you’re not spending enough time playing and too much time obsessing. If you’re a woodworker and just love the beauty of wood, okay. But all this UAS on this site is often just disguised bragging, and a bit too cute for my taste. I see and hear many great players using relatively inexpensive ukes, Kalas, and even less expensive ukes. They’re musicians not collectors. How many ukes does Jake have? Or people like Benny Chong?

I don’t expect viewers to be pleased with my comments. Now I have to go back to practicing on my relatively inexpensive but great travel Kala soprano. Why did I buy it? I really needed something that would fit in my suitcase and I needed a soprano with high G so that I could make the stretches on the material I’m learning, not because I had UAS. I remember when I was a member of the Berkeley Ukulele Club that one member mentioned having 50 ukes and another 500 and that they would arrive at his door and he couldn’t remember ordering them.

Freud made the observation that collecting is a substitute for sexual experiences. Will that piss you off enough?

Top Bottom