UAS is real!!!!

I was at my local uke shop browsing for strings and heard a nice lady walking in, announcing happily to the salesperson, “I’m here again to buy more ukulele!”

The salesperson was all smiles and grateful. I too was glad that she was buying more ukes to support local business. I have reached my capacity of owning anymore ukes with good justification. I thought if every uke player only buy 1 or 2 ukes, I’m not sure if there’s enough to keep the uke business going. Perhaps the business owners would just invest in something more profitable like guitar? Perhaps they wouldn’t have enough going on to spent time to research and build special ukes for travel purpose?

I’m grateful to be able to read all NUD threads that were shared here. I’m grateful to have a local uke shop to visit now and then. Anyway more ukes more merrier! Peace. Just saying. :)

Oh yes, real as it gets! I have a Tenor due to be delivered on Saturday, a Soprano coming shortly thereafter, and a Concert I just now ordered. My God! They're stacked up in a landing pattern just like airplanes on approach. I received another dozen Ukulele hangers a couple of weeks ago. I'm starting to hang them on the sides of the cabinet because the cabinet is full. If I keep this up, they're going to be hanging from the ceiling because there'll be no other place for them. Seriously, I had a workman in the house the other day. He saw my room and asked me if I sold Ukuleles! I guess I do have more of them than most music stores. And, I can't bear to part with any of them.

You may have a problem there.
If your house becomes impassable, we may have to do an intervention. We'll each bring an empty case, of course!

UAS is boring. If your ukes don’t serve a purpose in your playing, such as having various tunings, or size effecting finger stretches and overall sound, you’re not spending enough time playing and too much time obsessing. If you’re a woodworker and just love the beauty of wood, okay. But all this UAS on this site is often just disguised bragging, and a bit too cute for my taste. I see and hear many great players using relatively inexpensive ukes, Kalas, and even less expensive ukes. They’re musicians not collectors. How many ukes does Jake have? Or people like Benny Chong?

I don’t expect viewers to be pleased with my comments. Now I have to go back to practicing on my relatively inexpensive but great travel Kala soprano. Why did I buy it? I really needed something that would fit in my suitcase and I needed a soprano with high G so that I could make the stretches on the material I’m learning, not because I had UAS. I remember when I was a member of the Berkeley Ukulele Club that one member mentioned having 50 ukes and another 500 and that they would arrive at his door and he couldn’t remember ordering them.

Freud made the observation that collecting is a substitute for sexual experiences. Will that piss you off enough?

Well, now you have just gone and done it!
I'm fuming hot!

(JK, LOL)

I'm actually resisting the temptation to design another custom uke. (My wife just invited me to, and she was serious)
The last one....ahem....broke the piggy bank.
But it won't stop me from designing and dreaming!
Seriously, I need to spend a lot more time playing....3 hours yesterday just wasn't enough!

Sometimes is the operative word.

A woman is a woman but a cigar is a good smoke. Is that what you’re getting at?

I don’t worry, cuz I’m sitting on top of the world. Been playing that for an hour, memorizing the verses and in general just polishing it. Adding the boogie notes that feel good to me. Nice using the diminished chord and an authentic blues intro and outro. Throwing in some triplets for flourish. Going to bring my one soprano, a Kala soprano thinline, in my small travel suitcase to Kyoto and play on the streets and get to know the local police. Love that city. This is of course all my way of sublimating. Y’all have yours.

If you don’t like my peaches, don’t shake my tree. Get out of my orchard. Let my peaches be.

Last edited:
Sometimes is the operative word.

A woman is a woman but a cigar is a good smoke. Is that what you’re getting at?

I don’t worry, cuz I’m sitting on top of the world. Been playing that for an hour, memorizing the verses and in general just polishing it. Adding the boogie notes that feel good to me. Nice using the diminished chord and an authentic blues intro and outro. Throwing in some triplets for flourish. Going to bring my one soprano, a Kala soprano thinline, in my small travel suitcase to Kyoto and play on the streets and get to know the local police. Love that city. This is of course all my way of sublimating. Y’all have yours.

If you don’t like my peaches, don’t shake my tree. Get out of my orchard. Let my peaches be.

LOL. It's hard to tempt someone to stay out of an orchard when you're showing a comedic drama. Yours was one of the most entertaining posts in awhile. Thank you. I don't have UAS and maybe spend too much time practicing, BTW. Have a relaxing trip. Now let me go grab some peaches. Yum. :)

Geezus, Jerry,
I didn't even know a cutaway Cocobolo existed!
A Moon Bird and a DeSilva! Wow.

The Cocobolo surprised me. After entering the lottery so many times, I was shocked when I received the email saying I had won. A friend has a similar Moon Bird, and when I saw one for a good price on eBay, I jumped at it. The DeSilva was also a surprise. I had always liked James Hill's uke, and when I saw one available at a price I could afford, I jumped at it before someone else did.

Top Bottom