UAS strikes hard... and what was your most recent irrational purchase?

Mine isn't irrational but it's probably 'not necessary'(?). Anyway for me it's my Flight TUSL Dark Blue. This is my first plastic uke, turning my previous collection of 5 ukes into 6. Wouldn't blame myself if i succumb to buying another to make it 7th Heaven, hehe.

Last edited:
Mine isn't irrational but it's probably 'not necessary'(?)...
I hear ya!
But I've had a Cedar itch ever since I found a Lanikai CDST-C that I'm comfy with.
(I like its nut width and the way it "chuffs" when I play chords.)

Lanikai CDST-T Solid Top Cedar Tenor
$219

Ohana TK-50ME Macassar Ebony Series Solid Cedar top Tenor
(I have a Spruce TK-70R that sounds and plays great.)
$259-$279

ANueNue Hawaiian Dream Series T4 Solid Cedar Top Tenor (Currently on a "wait list" but, from demos, still undecided on its sound)
$249.00

The financial world is scaring the liver out of me has me concerned. What to do?

<edit 21: Nov> I am pretty much set on the Ohana... TBC

<edit 2: 24 Nov> Ordered the TK-50ME from Mim's.

Was it rational? It was well thought through. (I have no problem with Ohana's neck and nut width.)
Was it necessary? Next question, please.
Did I really want it? Absolutely.

<edit 30 Nov> Received it today. Immediately restrung it to my dGBE-like tuning.
I am so pleased that my hunch was correct about solid cedar. Like the Lanikai mentioned at the top, the Ohana cedar has the same nice "chuff" when I strum and pick out notes. They are both "woody" in a good way. Totally love it.

Last edited:
I hear ya!

Ohana Solid Top 50ME Macassar Ebony Series (Cedar top - Tenor)
$259-$279

ANueNue Hawaiian Dream Series T4 Solid Cedar Top Tenor Ukulele (Currently on "wait list")
$249.00

The financial world is scaring the liver out of me has me concerned. What to do?
The financial world is scaring the liver out of me has me concerned. What to do? My best advice: Stop watching the news. Everything occurs in cycles. This too shall pass.

2018 Pete Howlett; "Legacy," Solid Koa, Double Bout, Tenor. Always wanted a Howlett. I followed him on FaceBook for quite a while. Enjoyed his build blog. Great sense of humor in the face of adversity. And have only heard one at a ukulele festival. I liked it a lot. A bucket list tenor. You just don't see them for sale. I like the Revelator Pete developed, but not as much as his older double bout tenors. Then, one recently came up for sale in the UK.

Totally irrational purchase. I had decided to not acquire any more tenors until after I moved to Arizona. In fact, I vowed to divest a number of ukes and reduce my collection before I move. I had successfully resisted several excellent tenors that had come up for sale. Until, I saw this:

View attachment 145223
Original listing photo. Which does not do the instrument justice. I kept returning to the listing for two weeks. I asked the seller some questions. He wasn't keen to sell it to someone in the US. But if I paid the shipping and PayPal fees, he'd consider it.

I then asked for some additional photos. And some more questions. The exchange rate is very favorable right now for USD to GBP.

He sent me a link to it being played.

My resolve crumbled.

It's a great little tenor. With a thin-ish body, it has great projection. Bright for a koa body. It has a thin, D-shaped neck, and Pete's setup. With excellent intonation. It's a true player's ukulele. Totally lives up to my expectations.

Now, which of my "keepers" do I shed in order to make room for it?
Thanks for your kind words. Sorting through my last sets of koa and thinking about a new style of ukulele... watch out around spring next year for The Fat Tenor... another PUF production.

Thanks for your kind words. Sorting through my last sets of koa and thinking about a new style of ukulele... watch out around spring next year for The Fat Tenor... another PUF production.
Great to hear Pete. I love the tenor. Beautifully made. #088 Sequential 87118

I often regret not buying a Yew tenor you made. Such an unusual wood, but it sounded very nice.

BTW: The cost to ship it from Dacorum, England to Wisconsin, USA was $135 USD via the postal service—which somehow changed to FedEx before it left Milton Keynes. Customs and tax through FedEx was $85 USD. The exchange rate was very good.

Last edited:
Many years ago I purchased this Bruce Wei 6 string Baritone. I didn't play baritones at that time. Then I couldn't seem to tune it to my satisfaction, It is a lovely wall hanger with all the bling. Some day I may have another go at stringing it up and playing, as I now sort of play a Baritone.Bruce Wei Bari.JPG

Many years ago I purchased this Bruce Wei 6 string Baritone. I didn't play baritones at that time. Then I couldn't seem to tune it to my satisfaction,

150% as many ways to be out of tune, huh?

I kinda fell in lust with the inlay work and bought my Bruce Wei on an impulse. My first UAS experience!

Last edited:
UAS SCOREBOARD UPDATE from my impulse ukulele purchases:

Defective ukuleles: 2 Me: 0

OK, so I've kinda fixed the BWA sopranino... some folded sandpaper and it's OK now and not buzzing...so maybe that one is a tie...

But...

The Kala Bass came today and it's messed up: Something wrong with the pickup! Damn... And not returnable! Argh!

I took a gamble but ended up in ukulele repair hell. Live and learn...

Know anyone who replaces the pickups in UBasses?

I didn't actually buy one yet, but for some reason lately I really have my heart set on a red Ohana O'Nina sopranissimo.

Luckily much of my money is in a savings account that is unreachable short term, or I would waste chunks of it on specialized ukuleles. Maybe some time next year.

I still want a Flight Aqua, but that's gotta wait because it costs over a thousand euros.

The Kala Bass came today and it's messed up: Something wrong with the pickup! Damn... And not returnable! Argh!

In what way is it wrong? Is there no sound at all? Uneven sound across strings? Something else?
What pickup is in it?

If there's no or intermittent sound it could be a bad solder joint. If the strings are uneven then you probably have uneven pressure from the bridge onto the piezo crystal. This may be fixed by pushing down the saddle solidly, or you may need to pull it out and make sure it's dead flat. For some pickup styles you may want to cut the saddle parts under each string apart (I think credit to RoadRanger on TalkBass.com)

Stephen Cox did a video demonstrating this:

A cheap Obama spruce top soprano. Nothing particularly bad about the uke, it just confirmed I really don't like soprano

Are the batteries in correctly? Post a picture of the "EQ" control panel and the battery compartment.
I believe so... the tuner works for every string EXCEPT the A, which is the dead string when amplified... so I think the batteries are ok... Thanks thought!
In what way is it wrong? Is there no sound at all? Uneven sound across strings? Something else?
What pickup is in it?
No amplification on the A string, and the tuner also doesn't work for this string... I'll check these videos out and see if I can learn anything... Thanks! I'm pretty good with a soldiering iron if that's all it takes. I tried pushing on and tapping the saddle already. Maybe removal is the next step to try...

I didn't actually buy one yet, but for some reason lately I really have my heart set on a red Ohana O'Nina sopranissimo.
Well... me too. It's not quite as cool as I was hoping it would be. It's cute! But not as amazing as I imagined.

Are your fingers slender and your finger tips tiny? This is required...

UAS SCOREBOARD UPDATE from my impulse ukulele purchases:

Defective ukuleles: 2 Me: 0

OK, so I've kinda fixed the BWA sopranino... some folded sandpaper and it's OK now and not buzzing...so maybe that one is a tie...

But...

I think you're 2 for 2, my friend. From here, it sounds like the BWA sopranino just needs/needed normal setup tweaking, and the Kala ubass at worst needs a $10 replacement plug-and-play ubass pickup assembly.
Here's one

Well... me too. It's not quite as cool as I was hoping it would be. It's cute! But not as amazing as I imagined.

Are your fingers slender and your finger tips tiny? This is required...
Haha yes. Someone once said my hands looked marfanoid.

Top Bottom