Uke Rookie

Biggfoot44

Reaction score
The other day at home , looked down and saw I Uke . I think I picked it up at a yard sale a while back , and the family rearranging " stuff" brought it into sight again .

Took a second , took it out of the case , and tested my finger on the fretboard , and it was Good ! * ( Significance of the momentarily ) .

Way back when , played Trumpet. Which turned out to be a major handicap at playing things with strings .

Of recent years play Dobro , and occasional Lap Steel . Rather badly, but enjoy it . Bit workaholic , plus other obligations never get to paractice.

Most of my Music Buddies I occasionally jam with are Traditional Bluegrass Purists, but my skills and inclination expand to Traditional Country and slow Blues .

Meanwhile; several years ago had hand injury , and tendon surgery. Did great by physical therapy and job physical standards ; but middle left finger has less flexibility and dexterity than the other 9 , and partially numb .

That's why you see me playing with Tone Bars and Finger Picks . I have Zero experience with Vertical Guitars . Well other than reading their fingers to read chord progressions.

One of my secondary circle of music buddies plays 'Grass/ Country/ Gospel all with one finger , tuned to Open D . I tried to emulate him ; but couldn't quite get the finger flat enough to get good tone across all the strings . Hence my excitement about the Uke neck .

Before default jumping to 1 finger , open tuned Uke , I'm going to at least attempt Orthodox.

Quick looking at internet , supposedly with Standard Tuned Uke , it's simple to jump into playing G, C, D, and Em chords . Dang I say to myself , my mind already works in G , and G, C, D, and Em are the core chords to play 90% of everything ! So potentially a leap ahead , with fallback of applying existing skills . ( Except Strumming. I know roll patterns and single note picking . When I would ask my Guitar playing buddies about basic rookie Strumming, they would tell me I already know too much for that and show me Carter Scratch , or blues shuffle .)

The Uke ? A Mahlo Hano Series Concert, with Vintage Natural finish .

Welcome to the club! Ukuleles are a great instrument, I'm so glad you (re)discovered yours - enjoy, and thanks for introducing yourself! Looking forward to hearing further ukulele adventures from you.

Hi Biggfoot44! Welcome to the UU Forum.

I agree with the others, you have the right attitude and drive. You'll do well.

In your situation, I strongly suggest that if you have a luthier or guitar repair shop in a guitar/music store, you take your uke in and get as low a setup/action as possible without causing string buzz. A good setup makes fretting much easier. So you'll only need a gentle touch. Remember, you don't have to press the strings down to the fingerboard, only enough to get clean notes.

I have hand arthritis, and a good setup makes playing way easier on my hand. It may reduce the volume of your uke a bit, but I think it's an excellent tradeoff.

BTW, what's your ukulele's scale? Soprano, concert, tenor, baritone?

Hi Biggfoot44! Welcome to the UU Forum.

I agree with the others, you have the right attitude and drive. You'll do well.

In your situation, I strongly suggest that if you have a luthier or guitar repair shop in a guitar/music store, you take your uke in and get as low a setup/action as possible without causing string buzz. A good setup makes fretting .

I Did have , but my store owner and friend passed away last fall @ 83 y.o..

I just Google to confirm my memory, no truss rod on these ( or at least no truss rod adjuster ) .

Maybe I'm not attuned yet to Uke culture and mores , but it would seem to be a stretch to spend the $$ for a neck reset on an instrument currently available for $84.95 & free shipping.

But hopefully moot , as the action is suitably low , at least by acoustic guitar standards .

Welcome to UU, Biggfoot44!

Just start playing and exploring. If you can find a local uke group check them out. Playing with others can be a lot of fun, and they'll likely also have a good pile of songs to share with you.

Okaaaaay . No song duplications .

Can I still do same genres ? Or do I have to take up Hip Hop and Metal instead ?
Totally new instrument = totally new repertoire. Geez, what on earth were you thinking?! To expect to be able to play songs you enjoy on an instrument no one loves to learn how to play :rolleyes:

(ok I really hope you recognize the seriously unseriousness of my replies... welcome to uke-land, and enjoy playing whatever the heck you want on that cute little instrument)

The first and only time I encountered one was at a Blugrass/Ukulele fest. They had a number of acts that performed in the evening. One bluegrass act had 7 people. One of which sat in the back corner of the stage and played a 3 or 4' long saw with a cello(?) bow. It had a pickup of some kind integrated on it plus a mic. Had a kind of Theremin sound to it. He didn't play it over his head though. ;)

Top Bottom