Uke sounds terrible cuz new?

spizzy

Reaction score
Hi there. I got a new Kai KTI-5000 Tenor uke yesterday. I am already familiar with most chords as I played on a sopran for a longer time before. I just got one Q, why does the strings fall out of tune that fast and that hard?
A string falls down to 430hz (while it should stay at 440hz) (heart if you know what I mean)
also, I know how to hold down G, Am, F etc. but they just sound terrible when playing little songs ... its like if someone is playing wrong ash ...

just want some clarifications ... will this get better to a nice tune? my sopran was ready to play immediately, will this take a few days to actually be able to play something 'good'

If you literally just received it, yes, the strings will take some time (possibly up to a couple of weeks) to settle into the new environment of your home after shipping. That is definitely a thing. If, after you've given them a chance to settle, it's still an issue, you may wish to try a different set of strings, especially if these are the stock strings installed at the factory, you'd have no idea how long those strings had been on that instrument in storage before coming to you.

If you literally just received it, yes, the strings will take some time (possibly up to a couple of weeks) to settle into the new environment of your home after shipping. That is definitely a thing. If, after you've given them a chance to settle, it's still an issue, you may wish to try a different set of strings, especially if these are the stock strings installed at the factory, you'd have no idea how long those strings had been on that instrument in storage before coming to you.
I dont think they have been on them for too long. I could ask someone to switch them, but that just brings me to another question: which strings would fit / be good at it?

I dont think they have been on them for too long. I could ask someone to switch them, but that just brings me to another question: which strings would fit / be good at it?
Again, don't switch them right now. Give them a solid week of workout at your place before you make any changes.

As for best strings, you have just opened up a big can 'o worms! Strings are a personal preference thing around here. A lot of people love fluorocarbons, a lot of people love nylon, and there are a lot of choices to pick from, none of which are "bad", but not all of which will meet your preferred tone needs. BUT if the strings are going out of tune after at least a week of settling in, just grab something from your local music store that will work on a tenor ukulele and see if that resolves the issue (after you let those strings settle in at least a week).

Again, don't switch them right now. Give them a solid week of workout at your place before you make any changes.

As for best strings, you have just opened up a big can 'o worms! Strings are a personal preference thing around here. A lot of people love fluorocarbons, a lot of people love nylon, and there are a lot of choices to pick from, none of which are "bad", but not all of which will meet your preferred tone needs. BUT if the strings are going out of tune after at least a week of settling in, just grab something from your local music store that will work on a tenor ukulele and see if that resolves the issue (after you let those strings settle in at least a week).
yea of course I will wait lol. any tips what I have to do in that week? I guess play some tabs and tune it frequently

I don't know about a couple of weeks, but I always let the strings settle for a couple of days before I judge a ukulele. During those 2 days, I try to play it regularly and tune it regularly so the strings settle in to the desired tension.

This is normal and I have zero patience for it. This might not be 'proper' but I spend about an hour stretching / yanking / cajoling the strings tuning up, stretching, tuning up, etc. You take up a ton of slack this way and get the major initial stretch over with quick. It will be stable enough to hold for a song after this usually. New strings in transition can make you think the evil ghost of a demented jazz musician has possessed your instrument

I found out when I buy new ukes it’s helpful to put them in a trash bag with a humidifier for a few days before I decide whether it sounds bad or not. Won’t change how the strings work, but I find it does help with general performance of the instrument itself.

This is normal and I have zero patience for it. This might not be 'proper' but I spend about an hour stretching / yanking / cajoling the strings tuning up, stretching, tuning up, etc. You take up a ton of slack this way and get the major initial stretch over with quick. It will be stable enough to hold for a song after this usually. New strings in transition can make you think the evil ghost of a demented jazz musician has possessed your instrument
First time I tuned it and after that played some easy chords, I thought im playing on a self-made guitar with the cheapest wood and strings ever xD
but yea ig im just inpatient

As others said, new strings stretch so for at least a week tune it up as often each day as you can and you will notice that the amount of tuning needed will be less and less until they stay pretty stable and just need little tweak. Also if you move from soprano to much larger tenor you will have to figure out how to make good sound again as your right hand playing position will shift. So pay attention if you play it closer to the bridge as you were used to and if necessary strum closer to the fretboard.

The strings are likely very new and go out of tune very quickly because they are stretching for the first time. I have encountered this a few times and the amount they go out of tune and how quickly will decrease as you play and tune them.

If rapid, you can tune them sharp to stretch them a little more when you finish playing. A little harder on the strumming will also help. Meanwhile educate yourself some on strings. There are way too many threads here on this. Probably start with fluorocarbons.

You mentioned the "A" string in particular. If the other three are settling in OK, then try tuning the A string up a little higher (not over 1/2 step higher) and left it fall (detunes) back. As it gets better, tune higher less each time. The problem child will require several corrections each day but will eventually behave like the others.

After I load a new set of strings, I like to tune them up a full tone (F instead of G, D instead of C, etc.) and let it sit overnight. Retune the next day and repeat as needed. I find it knocks off a fair amount of time for the strings to settle in.

You don't want to rush bringing new strings up to tune, they may stretch unevenly. Bring them up in stages once the start to get tight.

Especially High-g and A strings.

As others said, new strings stretch so for at least a week tune it up as often each day as you can and you will notice that the amount of tuning needed will be less and less until they stay pretty stable and just need little tweak. Also if you move from soprano to much larger tenor you will have to figure out how to make good sound again as your right hand playing position will shift. So pay attention if you play it closer to the bridge as you were used to and if necessary strum closer to the fretboard.
so my right hand has to move higher (not above the sound hole)?

You don't want to rush bringing new strings up to tune, they may stretch unevenly. Bring them up in stages once the start to get tight.

Especially High-g and A strings.
ye but imagine you buy new ones to play something on stage on the same evening and you simply cant

ye but imagine you buy new ones to play something on stage on the same evening and you simply cant
Yeah, that's the truth with plastic string instruments. You got to let them stretch. Steel strings are different but you can't put steel on an instrument designed for plastic strings.

Don't give up on your uke if it doesn't seem to sound right even after strings have settled. It's possible some things need tweaking to really dial in your uke's sound. I'd suggest taking looking at...

Don't give up on your uke if it doesn't seem to sound right even after strings have settled. It's possible some things need tweaking to really dial in your uke's sound. I'd suggest taking looking at...

dont get anything he says xd

Top Bottom