Ukulele and arthritis

deadpool

Reaction score
For anyone who has hand issues or arthritis, how does uke playing affect pain levels vs guitar or mandolin? Any experience or advice on this appreciated.

Thanks!

I switched to baritone ukulele because arthritis was making it difficult to play a 6 string guitar. I also find that a “tenor” guitar fills my steel string needs…

Rustydusty,

Thanks! I have some tenors and a Romero st concert. I played last night without pain or cramping. Not sure if consecutive days of concentrating on ukulele will work or not, but I guess I'll find out.......

Any other thoughts? Anyone?

Mike

I don’t have arthritis, but I have had hand pain in the past and I have found the lower string tension and “plastic” strings on a ukulele so much easier on the hands than a steel string guitar. I had to work my way up slowly still, as in just a few minutes a day to begin with to avoid a flare up, but after a few months of increasing playtime, I found I could play for quite some time. I don’t time myself but I can play probably for an hour or two now after a couple of years, or throughout the day.

In fact, I still find the uke so much less aggravating on my hands and fingers than the guitar while still strengthening my left hand (which has been the culprit), so my uke gets played daily while the guitar mostly sits in its case.

My osteoarthritis can flare up if I play for an extended period of time. I find my thumbs can really get sore at the knuckle joint. Left hand from pushing into the back of the neck too hard as I fret, right hand from repetitive picking notes and patterns.

Fluorocarbon strings are easier on my hands than Nylon; even though they have a higher tension. The thinness of the strings makes them easier to bend. Some are more bendy than others. So far, I've found Fremont BlackLine Fluorocarbon strings to be the easiest to bend. So much so, that it's easy to push the string off the edge of the board if my fretting gets sloppy.

High tension fluoros are quite hard on my fingers.

The shape of the neck can have a BIG effect on how well your hands do. Thickness, width, string spacing, D or C roundness, flater profile. Plus, a radius on your fretboard can help ease your finger pressures and barre chords.

Stretches to loosen up your hands before playing. Exercises to build strength in your fingers and hands. Shake your hands out if they start to get tired. Keep your hands and fingers moving to prevent them from getting stiff. Anti-inflammatory meds & supplements may help. As may diclofenac sodium topical gel (generic Voltaren) for temporary pain relief. Heat can also help.

Well mandolins have the most ridiculous string tension. Guitars are next and ukuleles are definitely lower on the string tension scale.
In the ukulele World, tenors tuned g,C,E,A have the most string tension. A g,C,E,A tuned Concert is definitely lower in string tension.
I play tenors tuned E,A,C#,F#. The string tension is lower and most people think they sound better as well.

You can also put concert strings on a tenor and the tension will be lower. If that helps.

Ukulele is indeed far easier on arthritic hands than any other string instrument I've encountered. I do miss playing my mandolin and banjo, but I only manage those for a few months after a cortisone injection. My guitar mostly stays in open G for slide playing. It's all about adapting to circumstances, I guess.

I, like many people (according to my orthopedist) have arthritis at the base of the thumbs. Ukulele is much more forgiving on the left hand thumb for fingering. I find I can find a comfortable position and still play well. I could t do that on guitar. I find tenor to be about right these days. I also have a baritone but I gave up on soprano and concert as fingers were too close together and caused thumb crunch. But I happily play now in all styles/genres.

Any other thoughts? Anyone?

Some players at local song circles talked about giving up on ukulele because of difficulties with arthritic fingers.

Was thinking about whether it would be practical to switch to open tuning so major chords could be fretted with a simple barre or slide.

Has anyone switched to open tuning as a solution to awkward fingers?

I need to spend time trying it out to make sure it’s practical. And to work it the details so that it’s repeatable and teachable. Don’t want to offer false hope or an unsolvable mess.

A. Challenges with open chords:

1. I couldn’t find anything that says it’s good for arthritic fingers. Is fretting with a slide okay for awkward fingers or is it a technique for nimble fingers?

2. Should it be open C or open G chord to avoid running out of fretboard when playing at sessions? Or perhaps two ukuleles; one in each tuning?

3. What additional fingering is needed to play minor chords and 7th chords? Or is it pragmatic to start giving up some chords to gain playing time with arthritis fingers? Compensate by adding texture by mixing full and partial strums?

4. Where to find chord charts that include minor chords and 7th chords? Adapt from guitar or banjo charts for open tuning?

5. Would it be better to switch early, or wait until it’s necessary?

6. Written or video resources to help with changing over?

B. Are thumb picks a pragmatic solution to loss of playing hand grip and flexibility?

Cheers.

Last edited:
More tension pain than arthritis, but when my hands are playing up I default to baritone or concert uke. String tension is higher on tenor uke and guitar, reach is worse on guitar (let alone bass guitar!), and soprano gets too cramped with all the fingers so close together.

Well mandolins have the most ridiculous string tension. Guitars are next and ukuleles are definitely lower on the string tension scale.
In the ukulele World, tenors tuned g,C,E,A have the most string tension. A g,C,E,A tuned Concert is definitely lower in string tension.
I play tenors tuned E,A,C#,F#. The string tension is lower and most people think they sound better as well.

Another slack-key tenor! Mine stays down in F Bb D G, and it's still more tiring to play than a concert.

Top Bottom