ukulele necks with integral frets

pondweed

Reaction score
I had an old Regal with what I thought was called a Hawaiian-style direct fretted neck. I should have kept it. Does anyone still build like these and what are the pros and cons? (other than the obvious fact that a potentially occasionally replaceable part is going to be done away with - and you are restricted to 12 frets).

I think that Timbuck built some ‘Island‘ style ukes a while back and that they were fretted straight into the neck. The style usually joins the neck to the body at the twelfth fret but some have the twelfth fret slightly before the neck to body joint - which I think better.

Whilst a separate fret board is extra work it might well simplify the build, help control some manufacturing defects and help with getting a suitable brake angle at the saddle / bridge.

Bruko are an interesting design - that has likely evolved over decades - which combines a traditional neck and a raised fretboard.

Last edited:
I've built a few - they work fine.

Pros: saves making and shaping a fretboard.

Cons: 12 frets max, if you strum over the 12th the strings are 3mm or less above the top, so you might keep hitting it with your finger.

As Gerald the “talking Gorilla“ once said “if I may chip in at this moment” 🐵 …Yes I’ve built some with no problems… this is one of e’m.
BeFunky_IMG_1875jpg_zps6ba9b37b by Ken Timms,

Last edited:
yes of course, his piccolos are also! I wondered if the soundboard would be even more unencumbered.... but presumably break angles could be lower unless the neck angle is canted round like you have to do on a banjouke to get the bridge up for volume... whilst keeping the action down?

Top Bottom