Ukuleles in Dusty Strings Music Store

Uke with Smitty

Reaction score
I went to Dusty Strings music store in Seattle and really enjoyed the experience. They have the best collection of ukes I’ve ever seen at a music store (I’ve never been to The Ukulele Site or Aloha City Ukes or anything). So far it’s all been music shops that treat the uke like a toy and mostly just have low end beginner instruments, but not these guys. They also had a very full section of uke instructional books, by far the most I’ve ever seen at a music store.

Dusty Strings is great! I played so many mandolins, banjos, Appalachian dulcimers, hammered dulcimers, and nice ukuleles. I strongly recommend checking them out if you’re ever in the Seattle area. And no, I’m not affiliated with them or anything, I was just so thrilled to find a store that carried so many cool instruments besides guitars. They even make their own in-house harps. I know nothing about harps but admired how they looked and plucked a few strings and they sounded amazing. Ended up getting a few different styles of thumb picks I’ve never seen and a uke instructional book (Ukulele fretboard roadmaps) just to support them a bit. The employees that I talked to were incredibly friendly and actually knew what they were talking about in terms of ukuleles, an amazingly rare feat in a music store in my experience. What a cool store!
IMG_5289.jpegIMG_9194.jpeg

Last edited:
Very Cool! Looks like a great store for Ukes. I'm lucky enought to be able to go to Aloha City Ukes quite often...that place is amazing....nothing but Ukes, and Matt Cantlon is the best guy you'd ever hope to deal with. I've purchased several Ukes from him.

Very Cool! Looks like a great store for Ukes. I'm lucky enought to be able to go to Aloha City Ukes quite often...that place is amazing....nothing but Ukes, and Matt Cantlon is the best guy you'd ever hope to deal with. I've purchased several Ukes from him.
People that have a dedicated uke store in their area are so incredibly lucky! It’s such a cool rarity in terms of the average persons experience buying a uke

Matt seems like a great guy. Love that does all those sound samples for his ukes!

As a Seattle native I have been going to Dusty Strings since it opened in Fremont. And I have known Ray and Sue since I have been making instruments for over forty years. They are two of the nicest people on the planet, and their employees are also. They have sold a lot of my instruments for me. Anyone who finds themselves in the Seattle area and doesn’t visit is missing out big time.
Brad

I went to Dusty Strings music store in Seattle and really enjoyed the experience. They have the best collection of ukes I’ve ever seen at a music store (I’ve never been to The Ukulele Site or Aloha City Ukes or anything). So far it’s all been music shops that treat the uke like a toy and mostly just have low end beginner instruments, but not these guys. They also had a very full section of uke instructional books, by far the most I’ve ever seen at a music store.

Dusty Strings is great! I played so many mandolins, banjos, Appalachian dulcimers, hammered dulcimers, and nice ukuleles. I strongly recommend checking them out if you’re ever in the Seattle area. And no, I’m not affiliated with them or anything, I was just so thrilled to find a store that carried so many cool instruments besides guitars. They even make their own in-house harps. I know nothing about harps but admired how they looked and plucked a few strings and they sounded amazing. Ended up getting a few different styles of thumb picks I’ve never seen and a uke instructional book (Ukulele fretboard roadmaps) just to support them a bit. The employees that I talked to were incredibly friendly and actually knew what they were talking about in terms of ukuleles, an amazingly rare feat in a music store in my experience. What a cool store!
View attachment 172217View attachment 172218
Did any ukuleles that you tried stick out ?

Did any ukuleles that you tried stick out ?
I really liked the Collings concert. The build quality was insane. I played every Kamaka they had and they all sounded amazing. Out of the Koaloha and Kamaka soprano, I preferred the Kamaka, which surprised me. The Kiwayas were really nice too. It was my first time playing one. There were so many good ukes! Hard to choose…

And you know which ones always surprise me no matter how many times I play them? Magic flea/fluke. The sopranos have so much punch and sound really good for the price.

I could spend hours in that store. Played some really nice $10,000-ish custom luthier built acoustic guitars I’ve never heard of which kind of scared me to hold but obviously sounded/played impeccably, a couple really great sounding Northfield and Eastman mandolins, a mandola (first time ever getting my hands on one of those, and man what a rich deep tone they have.) Like I said, could have hung out there for hours. My friend I went with said he just sat back and watched me freak out at everything like a kid in a candy store…

Last edited:
It is a great store. Lucky I live within 30 minutes. I visit often and there is a uke jam every 3 Saturday at 2:30PM

I used to visit Dusty Strings regularly when I lived in Vancouver (BC). Definitely a great store. Going there always felt like I had fallen into a live 3D “musical rabbit hole”. :) Unfortunately I didn’t play ukulele back then. But I do know, from experience, that they make very highly regarded harps.

Top Bottom