Universe of available steel-string electric ukuleles

I'm trying to figure out the universe of available steel-string electric ukuleles. I already have a Risa, which I quite like, but am in the mood to maybe get another and just want to make sure I know everything that's out there.

Right now I'm aware of:
  1. Risa (which, as mentioned above, is the manufacturer of the tenor model I own)
  2. Sparrow (my most likely purchase as I'm thinking to get a baritone and I've heard good things about them, but still considering)
  3. Flight (looks very similar to RISA, albeit cheaper, but seemingly out of stock most everywhere)
  4. Fanner Guitar Works
  5. Honni Music (cheap, but hard to find much information on quality)
Any other "mass market" options I should be aware of? I'm sure many guitar and ukulele luthiers could make me an absolutely gorgeous custom model, but I don't know if I'm ready for quite that level of investment yet!
Vorson

I'm trying to figure out the universe of available steel-string electric ukuleles. I already have a Risa, which I quite like, but am in the mood to maybe get another and just want to make sure I know everything that's out there.

Right now I'm aware of:
  1. Risa (which, as mentioned above, is the manufacturer of the tenor model I own)
  2. Sparrow (my most likely purchase as I'm thinking to get a baritone and I've heard good things about them, but still considering)
  3. Flight (looks very similar to RISA, albeit cheaper, but seemingly out of stock most everywhere)
  4. Fanner Guitar Works
  5. Honni Music (cheap, but hard to find much information on quality)
Any other "mass market" options I should be aware of? I'm sure many guitar and ukulele luthiers could make me an absolutely gorgeous custom model, but I don't know if I'm ready for quite that level of investment yet!
I have a Vorson/Clearwater tenor and a Honni baritone. They are both pretty decent for the price, though the craftsmanship is far from perfect. The Vorson is constructed well but has cheap pick ups and is is uncomfortable. The Honni plays better than just about every e uke I’ve played, but the sound is only okay, and the construction, while sturdy, leaves much to be desired. I rate them high value, but if you have more tot spend, do it.
Eastwood makes some cool stuff, Mann is amazing. I have a flight pathfinder ordered, hope it gets here soon.

Just discovered SoDo electric baritones on YouTube.

He’s out of Montreal. His YouTube channel shows several models. The About tab on his channel mentions an Instagram account and a Facebook page—neither of which I’ve visited.

He’ll ship to other countries, but costs for that (and duties, I suppose) can be expensive.

Last edited:
I’d never heard of SoDo, but those look great! No idea what the lead time is, though (Months? Years?). Definitely worth further investigation!

Tin Guitar also makes electric ukes based on their website. They also make baritones as well. Could be worth looking into if you're in the UK or Europe (or anywhere else really).

What I would like to know is how the different companies make their pickups. Materials, winding, all the specifics. Then I'd like to hear all the pickups in some comparison tests. Find the pickups one likes and have them put in the body one likes. I suppose the genera is so limited that perhaps they are all boutique----rather not the same yet different from the guitar pickup world.

Fender tenor electric guitars:

• 22 3/4 inch scale smaller body telecaster style with steel strings
  • Adjust string tension by experimenting with string gauges printed on the string pack; thicker is stiffer
  • Can be tuned DGBE using thinner strings from guitar; aka baritone ukulele long scale, aka Chicago tuning
  • Might be directly tunable (borderline possible) to GCEA standard ukulele using ultra light strings if a skinny string can be found that can survive tuning to A
  • Can be indirectly tuned to GCEA standard ukulele using DGBE with capo at 5th fret. The long neck means lots of fretboard space remains after capoing.
  • Can be tuned to an octave below standard GCEA ukulele using the middle four strings from six string guitar set
  • Can be tuned CGDA like tenor guitar, mandola, viola
  • Can be tuned GDAE like Irish tenor banjo, octave mandolin, cello
  • Can be tuned EADG using thicker strings from guitar. This is an octave above bass guitar
  • Four string items from Fender replacement parts department (bridge, pickups, etc) can be used to convert/make instruments

Last edited:
Top Bottom