Update on Kala new design The Revelator

Mike, knowing what you like from past posts I think you will be thrilled with this uke. And with just a passive pickup, not much extra weight. As for attaching a strap with the jack plug-in (I use straps on all but a few vintage ukes), I've found straps with soft leather tabs have no problem stretching around the larger hardware, and once on I can tuck the last section of the leather hole under the lip of the jack with my fingernail. Granted, I rarely remove my straps once installed or this would be a pain. If I have a strap with a thick leather tab I use the D'Addario CinchFit Acoustic Jack Lock. For $10 it's a nice add-on and easy on/off.
I looked closer at the jack and it's doable, especially because I also don't remove a strap once it's on.

The emergence of thinlines didn't exactly eliminate the standard depth ukes but my impression is that they upped tonal volume that many tenor (and concert) ukes lacked. Bonus; easier to transport.

I'm sure the Howlett Revelator will tickle the fancies of a good number of uke enthusiasts.

The Rev seems to have decent volume even without electrification.
How does it compare to a good conventional spec tenor, plugged... and unplugged.

After only a couple sound samples so far, unless I missed it, I'm waiting for Corey at TUS to have a go. His playing is what custom builders aspire to build for... a mix of jazz, classical, funk, you name it.

I went to my local music shop to see if they had one. Lots of Kalas but no Revelator...

(BTW: Local shop is Stanroy's music in Santa Rosa CA)

They hadn't heard of it yet but promised to inquire about it.

I'll check back - I have a gift certificate!

Not for a Revelator, but... it should cover the sales tax...

I recall that Kala said they would be selling the model through the largest Kala distributors, which would include the Terry Carter business as it must be one of the biggest Kala dealers on the planet, being located in the massive ukulele market in Southern California. Its not likely to be available new from the shops that have lower volumes of Kala product.
Not sure this is the case, at least currently. According to the owner of Gute Ukulele, only three shops are currently selling the Kala Revelator: his shop, TUS and SUS. And Gute Ukulele is hardly the largest Kala distributor as he only stocks a very limited range of Kala travel ukes and some Elite models. Maybe the amount of shops selling the Revelator will increase at some point however.

I wonder if the numbers they are building aren't large enough to supply to retailers. It's a great uke with an amazing sound given it's dimensions!

Not sure this is the case, at least currently. According to the owner of Gute Ukulele, only three shops are currently selling the Kala Revelator: his shop, TUS and SUS. And Gute Ukulele is hardly the largest Kala distributor as he only stocks a very limited range of Kala travel ukes and some Elite models. Maybe the amount of shops selling the Revelator will increase at some point however.
Sweetwater has the Kala Revelators.

Have not seen a NUD yet, has anyone played one of them?
While not likely that I would actually win, I promise to do a big review and video if I happen to win the Uke Magazine contest giving away a Revelator :LOL: I'm a big fan of both the Elite's and the Revelator's and am excited for the 2nd and 3rd hand market to eventually get rolling on these since I generally can't afford new

If you didn't know about it and want to enter head over, do it, and consider renewing your Uke Mag subscription. If you're feeling kind and want to also go to the giveaway at Uke Mag through my sweepstake link for Uke Magazine, we each get a "virtual raffle vote" or whatever if you getting to it the first time this way (just my full disclosure on the link).

Not sure this is the case, at least currently. According to the owner of Gute Ukulele, only three shops are currently selling the Kala Revelator:
Since Kala is so close to us here I thought maybe we might get some favorable treatment!

I'd maybe want to play before I buy?

I guess with Sweatwater you can return stuff???

Too much pressure!!!

I personally trained the team how to build my design. They are skilled and dedicated and are producing the same if not better instruments than I could from the finish perspective. The latest CEO-selected koa is equal to the master-grade instruments I produced. I am sure if you used the right approach, you could visit the factory but you gotta be serious about buying. Use Sweetwater if you want to try before you buy...

Halley, Wren, Hooke and Newton all had the same or similar idea but it was Newton's that became 'law' tho Hooke disputed later who thought of it first. People from all walks of life have simultaneously come up with similar ideas. It's the way it works. I discovered my pseudo harp guitar design was common in Eastern Europe around the turn of the 20th century....

My Revelator design is now 6 years old. I am not sure when Bruce started doing this. This is the first one I have seen. I was also informed that back in 2016 a Japanese maker made a few similar-looking models. Where possible I always reference my influences and I don't spend hours trolling the work of others to see if their planets are aligning with mine! Well done for spotting this. Howlett or Kala? It is only your choice that counts and you can't get these new from me anymore..

Last edited:
Are there any photos of what this looks like, without the top? I’m interested in the “shell” shape. Is this like the old song?

All I can say is: I want one and wish I had more money!!!

I personally trained the team how to build my design.
They used to have a room full of ukes to try pre-pandemic... do you happen to know if it is open again? Was just to the left of the front door back in the day...
I am not sure when Bruce started doing this.
I mentioned this a while ago, remember? I think I said "It's the sincerest form of flattery".

Hmmm... See if you can tell Kala to send one to Stanroy's in Santa Rosa if you still have any pull there!

Halley, Wren, Hooke and Newton all had the same or similar idea but it was Newton's that became 'law' tho Hooke disputed later who thought of it first. People from all walks of life have simultaneously come up with similar ideas. It's the way it works. I discovered my pseudo harp guitar design was common in Eastern Europe around the turn of the 20th century....

My Revelator design is now 6 years old. I am not sure when Bruce started doing this. This is the first one I have seen. I was also informed that back in 2016 a Japanese maker made a few similar-looking models. Where possible I always reference my influences and I don't spend hours trolling the work of others to see if their planets are aligning with mine! Well done for spotting this. Howlett or Kala? It is only your choice that counts and you can't get these new from me anymore..
Often, it is the execution of the idea that makes the difference. I followed with great interest your posts Pete on FaceBook while you were refining the design and having various artists try it out and give you their impressions. I was bowled over.

The Revelator sounds great and looks even better. Kudos.

Engage with them through their Facebook page. I no longer have any direct input and never had any influence on the business decisions regarding the marketing of their instruments.

Have any fellow members bought the Revelator or tried playing one?

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom