Use & implication of low-g on soprano?

I think Izzy switched his C string with his G string. He used standard strings but used the thickest ( the C string ) for his G string.

Pete,

As I understand it, he didn't "switch" them (per se), but rather, he shuffled and detuned (or "slacked") them as follows:

C string (#3) becomes the G string (#4)
G string (#4) becomes the E string (#2)
E string (#2) becomes the C string (#3), and
A string (#1) remains the A string (#1)

Flea Flicker: That would be very interesting to try, thank you! It's just my opinion, but as for Aquilas, I stay away from them altogether. They can make a cheap uke sound better, but on a good uke they only color the quality of the instrument. I would stick with Worths.

Ernie Ball Ball End Low G Ukulele Strings (Clear or Black Nylon) sound amazing on a Soprano Ukulele for Low G Tuning because the 4th String is actually 80/20 Bronze Wound to give more clarity. The Ball ends also make restringing a snap plus they increase the break angle of the strings over the saddle.

On recommendation from someone here on UU I tried the "detuned" low g on an Aklot concert uke and it really opened the uke up.
C string (#3) becomes the G string (#4)
G string (#4) becomes the E string (#2)
E string (#2) becomes the C string (#3), and
A string (#1) remains the A string (#1)

Tim notes for us that it's actually in our favour re monetization when we reinvigorate old threads. Plus if it's of interest, that's ok too!

I’ve learned a lot from zombie threads. Why reinvent the wheel, when the knowledge, advice, or whatever is out there in the past?

There's a difference between a "zombie" thread and one that started a long time ago that's still good. Zombie threads are ones with outdated or flat-out bad information, or bad vibes, or something generally off. They may be better off staying dead. LOL Except that when Google sees lots of dead threads, they assume that the forum is if not moribund, perhaps at risk for becoming so.

This thread is definitely not one of those. Yeah, it started in 2011, but all the information is still good, and folks are now adding more good information.

More important, the relevance of those old threads is often what brings in new members, including on this very day, on this very thread. It's much, much easier to start your forum journey by adding to an existing thread than starting a new one, which is why almost all new members start with old threads. It's true not just here, but in every forum I've helped manage for 30 years, too. And hey, it's how I started posting in pretty much every forum I've joined, and there have been buckets of 'em.

And I sure as heck HOPE that people keep finding the juicy goodness stored in 15 years of posts! How could they not? There are over TWO POINT THREE MILLION POSTS here, from 140,000 members! As far as I can tell, this is the deepest repository of collected ukulele stuff in human history. (I was going to say ukulele wisdom, but that may be gilding the lily. 🤣) Seriously though, are there many other places that have even the ~333,000 posts we have BEYOND the first 2 million? There's a LOT of great stuff here!

So of COURSE old threads will be revived. To me, anybody finding an old thread worthy of their attention and their applied creativity and curiosity in reply is reason to pop some bubbly and celebrate! New threads are no less worthy of celebrating, which is why my general approach to everything here is to be glad that someone has chosen to put their energy into choosing their own path, whichever path it is. It's all good!

fwiw,
Tim
Mod

Last edited:
The top 4 strings from a Classical String set might make a good Low G Ukulele string set (Ernie Ball Low G Ukulele strings). The Wound Low G Ukulele string should easily fit in the 4th string slot w/o any issues.

Top Bottom