Vintage Harmony Fretboard looks dry

cletus

Reaction score
I picked up a nice 50's/60's Harmony baritone in great condition, with the exception that the (rosewood?) fret board seems to be pretty dry looking. Any suggestions on how to treat it before I put new strings on it?

Thanks!

I picked up a nice 50's/60's Harmony baritone in great condition, with the exception that the (rosewood?) fret board seems to be pretty dry looking. Any suggestions on how to treat it before I put new strings on it?

Thanks!
Cletus, I use Ernie Ball "Wonder Wipes" fretboard conditioning wipes. They're individually wrapped-- kind of like those pre-moistened hand wipes they give you at a chicken dinner. And I've had great luck with them. (Or, I suppose you could just check to see if there might be any chicken dinners taking place in your neighborhood soon... well... maybe not.)

I use MusicNomad's F-One Oil,
Or, D'Addario Lemon Oil.

Caveats:
F-One may remove some black dyes (India Ink?) the maker applied to make the fretboard look more uniform in color. Usually Ebony boards.
I use the Lemon Oil when recommended by the maker.
Sometimes the bridge looks really dried out (looking at you Martin), and I'll apply the conditioner to that as well.

Top Bottom