Voice coach

Nice. I have been watching a lot of Madeleine Harvey videos. She’s very good.

Sterling R. Jackson. He's my guy. I like to sing hard rock vocals and he is great at this. A lot of voice coaches on YouTube seem to have a vibe kinda like used car salesmen -- there is something plastic and phoney about them. Not Sterling. He is knowledgeable, personable, down-to-earth, and funny. He has been posting singing tutorials for the past year on YouTube. Here is one example among many:

Hey, Nickie. Just wondering... does this mean you have a personal vocal coach? I somehow seem to read this statement both ways.
Thanks,
-Yukio
I also took it to mean that Nickie DOES have a personal voice coach, but now I think it means she IS a personal voice coach.

My cat hates this, every time I sing Ahhh, her head goes up and she gives me that look...I guess I'll never find my true voice.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, these are really helpful.

Thanks Nickie. I keep getting scared off singing. I live in a condo and feel uncomfortable opening my throat so I don't have the neighbors hearing.

Hey, Nickie. Just wondering... does this mean you have a personal vocal coach? I somehow seem to read this statement both ways.
Thanks,
-Yukio
Yes, I have a personal voice coach. I call her Vocal Chords. She's my bestie. i turned her on to ukulele about 6 years ago.

What I just learned from Jackson was to not sing from"the heart," but from the belly!

Oh, and to mum-mumm, not humm, while learning the chords and counting out bars before singing the melody line. It allowed me to develop a rhythmic chant to be replaced with the actual words. All that in less than 5 minutes.

Last edited:
What I just learned from Jackson was to not sing from"the heart," but from the belly!

Oh, and to mum-mumm, not humm, while learning the chords and counting out bars before singing the melody line. It allowed me to develop a rhythmic chant to be replaced with the actual words. All that in less than 5 minutes.
There's also 'singing from the head', or 'singing with your head voice'. Sometimes, I get the concept.

There's also 'singing from the head', or 'singing with your head voice'. Sometimes, I get the concept.
Yes, when you keep a good breath*, hold your head up, and fully open your mouth when forming the words, you can feel your singing voice resonate in your head. I suppose that is what we should be "listening" for.

* That's where the belly (abdomen/diaphragm breathing) comes in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom