want to replace friction pegs with geared tuners

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonsilog

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently "acquired" a new uke, but it will come with friction peg tuners (it should arrive this week). I have no experience with friction pegs, and I've read beaucoup de posts about friction vs geared. Though I really should wait to see if I would like them, I am the type to already do extensive research on it, in case I would like to replace them.

How easy will it be to replace these? I would like to do it myself, but I also don't want to play around with a brand new uke only to "F" it up. The alternative option is to have a luthier do it, but I would rather not spend more money... especially if it is something I can do myself.

If it was a cheapo uke, then I wouldn't mind as much.

Any comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

easiest, worry free way? Take it to a Luthier!

Not as easy or worry free? I would personally take lots of pictures and measurements, and ask the peeps in the luthiers lounge part of the forum for their advice. there are tons of great craftsmen in there that are great to help out.

Friction tuners work fine do not change them. In my opinion geared tuners do not belong on a soprano or concert ukulele. It is like putting geared tuners on a violin.

Or you could compromise and go for Peghead tuners, which look like wooden violin tuners and act like geared tuners. There are a few sizes out there for different hole widths and such.

But seriously, depending on how well installed the frictions were, and what kind they are, it's just as simple as using geared tuners.

Friction tuners get a bad rap. They work fine.

Geared tuners are probably easier for a newbie to tune. That said, they will add weight to your headstock and could shift the balance of the instrument in a way that many people don't like.

Pegheds are great, but expensive and they may require reaming/bushing of holes.

Fitting geared tuners is easy, but if you later decide to go back to friction then you'll likely find that you'll be left with visible surplus screw holes from the geared tuners.

If it were me, even though I like geared tuners myself, I'd give the friction tuners a try before deciding to change.

Friction tuners get a bad rap. They work fine.
I'd say that good friction tuners work fine. Poor cheap ones will give you nightmares and possibly a nervous breakdown and baldness.

Look at my avatar. I used to have loads of hair - then I tried tuning a set of cheap frictions I got off ebay. I later replaced them with decent friction tuners which were fine, but the hair never grew back...

Man........I wish You told me about the hair and friction tuner thing years ago. I still have the same amount of hair, it just grows in different places now.

I can't really believe I'm saying this, but stay with the friction tuners. I've decided that geared tuners are a pain in the butt. I've recently been playing a uke with geared tuners and I find tuning really difficult after having used friction tuners for quite a while.

I don't understand the problem some people have with friction tuners. They have been used on violins for hundreds of years.
I have a bunch of ukes that all use friction tuners and they are no problem at all. I don't get it. Geared tuners are for guitars.
They don't look right on a soprano or concert size uke. If I had a uke with geared tuners I would change them to friction tuners right away. They have been standard equipment on ukuleles since the first ukulele. It's not a ukulele if it has geared tuners.
You can see that I am a little crazy about this but I hate seeing geared tuners on a uke. IMHO.

Points well taken. I will be giving friction tuners a try. I guess it is all a matter of personal preference. Though I still wonder about the relative ease (or lack thereof) of changing out the tuner. Now my interested is peaked regarding the Pegheads.

Thank you all.

Super easy to do, just make sure to drill pilot wholes for the screws but don't go too deep and drill thru your headstock. May also have to enlarge existing tuner holes depending on the tuners you select. I enlarge by hand going halfway from both sides.

The thing about a uke not being a uke if it has geared tuners is just wrong. What is it with ukulele purists? No other instrument I've ever played has to deal with purists. Don't listen to this talk. Just get what feels best for you. Playing uke is about enjoying yourself, not pleasing some small clique of people who can't be pleased anyway.

Friction tuners work fine. They need to be setup right, too tight they are hard to fine tune, too loose they slip.
I have pegheads on my DaSilva, not only do they look totally cool and are ultra lightweight, but they are a snap to tune and stay put too.
Cheap friction tuners as cheap geared tunners are difficult.

The thing about a uke not being a uke if it has geared tuners is just wrong. What is it with ukulele purists? No other instrument I've ever played has to deal with purists. Don't listen to this talk. Just get what feels best for you. Playing uke is about enjoying yourself, not pleasing some small clique of people who can't be pleased anyway.

Mitä kuuluu! Ja kiitos. (I just had to reply... one of my good friends is finnish)

I did not intend to change out the tuners immediately, and I will certainly be giving the friction tuners a shot. At the very least for experience, and maybe I will grow to like (and prefer) them.

I was just inquiring about the relative "ease" of changing out the tuners. More than likely I will be keeping the original friction tuners anyway.

Again, I truly appreciate everyone's input, purist and all.

"One love."

Is your Finnish friend an ukulele purist? They are plentiful here. :)

Kiitos hyvin. Hauska tavata. Olen amerikkalainen mutta ymmärrän vähän suomea. Minun aviomieheni on suomenruotsalainen.

Anyways, you'll probably not have problems with the frictions as soon as you get the hang of them and find the loose/tight sweet spot with that little screw on top of the tuning heads. But if you go geared, don't go letting someone whole dislikes "ears" on their ukes making you feel bad about it. :)

Mitä kuuluu! Ja kiitos. (I just had to reply... one of my good friends is finnish)

I did not intend to change out the tuners immediately, and I will certainly be giving the friction tuners a shot. At the very least for experience, and maybe I will grow to like (and prefer) them.

I was just inquiring about the relative "ease" of changing out the tuners. More than likely I will be keeping the original friction tuners anyway.

Again, I truly appreciate everyone's input, purist and all.

"One love."

[QUOTE Playing uke is about enjoying yourself, not pleasing some small clique of people who can't be pleased anyway.[/QUOTE
Wow...........strong words.

[QUOTE Playing uke is about enjoying yourself, not pleasing some small clique of people who can't be pleased anyway.[/QUOTE
Wow...........strong words.

What about those words would be wrong though? There are other forums full of the purist types. It's not an ukulele if it's bigger than a soprano, if it has ears, only solid mahogany or koa, preferalby vintage, built by the approved people, and so on and so on, no low G... Otherwise, you don't play uke, you play a toy or a small guitar.

Where would music be if we were all purists? Well I have some PDQ Bach CDs that would draw the picture pretty well. Music is about moving forward, not keeping evolution from happening.

Purists have always rubbed me the wrong way, and have always seemed to be about keeping music to themselves rather than having it accessible, to an audience, or maybe a group of new players. It's one of the things that was off-putting when I was trying at the opera thing.

I've heard of a group of seemingly friendly uke players invite luthiers from other countries to show their work, only to insult them to their faces. And somehow that's ok in that little clique. They totally justify it amongst themselves.

So when I hear someone saying you can't put this or that on an instrument because it might make your life easier and we wouldn't want that.... and then throw in the elitist "I'm a purist!" tag - well, I'm going to disagree, which I did.

I just wrote all this so that you know where I'm coming from and to know that I've not had one single solitary positive experience with any musician who called themselves a purist.

People like you are entitled to an opinion. People like me are also entitled to an opinion. Just because you disagree doesnt entitle you to resort to insults. I am pleased by lots of things. Just because I don't like geared tuners on a ukulele does not make me a purist ( although there is nothing wrong with that ) . My opinion counts just like yours . This is why we are here, we are giving our opinions.

Both opinions are now very clear, and thanks for sharing them. I've not seen any actual insults so far, but things are warming up nicely so it's probably best to move on.

Anyway, how about those friction tuners? Not bad, eh? And those geared tuners? Got to love 'em... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom