what are you reading?

Stephan King’s Salem’s Lot
(The Plains Of Passage is in a Free Library box waiting to ambush the next unsuspecting reader.)

Last edited:
I've been on a bit of a Stephen King kick lately. Currently reading "The Outsider." Still early, I think I know where it's going, but man, it is one creepy book. Nothing supernatural, yet, but it makes you wonder if it could happen to you? 😳

With a few exceptions, I always find Stephen King to be an enjoyable read. I didn't care for the Dark Tower series, I think I made it through the first 3 but it was a slog for me. I didn't really care for his collaborations with Peter Straub either. I've been meaning to go through his bibliography to see what books I might have missed. Maybe a short story collection or two, his latest and the one he wrote with his son. I don't think I ever read Gerald's game either.

Last edited:
I can't seem to help myself, I just bought four more books! I'm not associated in any way but my favorite used bookseller online is secondsale.com. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with the condition of a book they've sent me like I have with other sellers. I have a hard time resisting their buy 3 get 1 free sales when I have a couple of titles on my wish list. I bought Elmore Leonard's "Raylan" and "Fire In The Hole", the 3rd and 4th books in the Raylan Givens series. (The latter under its original title, "When The Women Come Out To Dance") I enjoyed Scott Pratt's 2nd Joe Dillard legal thriller so much I bought the 1st, "An Innocent Client" and another thriller, Giles Blunt's "Forty Words For Sorrow". Now I need to quit buying and start working harder on whittling down my "to read" pile!! :)
IMG_3690.JPG
(I think there's a dozen more on the floor!)

Last edited:
i've been on an Elizabeth Strout binge lately.
read Oh William! and then Lucy by the Sea in rapid succession,
then drank in Olive Kitteridge last week.
all wonderful, wonderful novels.
her prose has such beauty and grace, an elegance even; she has a lovely
ability to capture the smallest of moments, to distil the everyday things,
to undo her characters and open them up in the most profound and heart-wrenching
of ways. just gorgeous writing.
started Olive, Again a day or two ago and am enjoying it every bit as much
as i did the other three.
:) 🌻 💚

I have never found Stephan King enjoyable... not my thing...

But I did play basketball in the gym that was burned down during the filming of Carrie!
This was in 1973 or '74... playing jr. high basketball against Hermosa Jr. High. A few other times, too, during holiday tournaments. Our freshman courts and that gym were about the same: Roughly 4 feet of room outside the courts on the sides and 10 feet at the ends. Bleachers one on end that rolled out would seat about 40 people. Built on the cheap but still in use. Ironically, at Mira Costa where I went this building was called "The Girl's Gym"

Hermosa got a really nice new gym after "Carrie" burned down their old one. As rich as Manhattan Beach is now, I'm certain that the Girl's Gym was replaced long ago. Or maybe they just bought a new sign?

This was way before Title 9 which ended all that here in California.

I can't seem to help myself, I just bought four more books! I'm not associated in any way but my favorite used bookseller online is secondsale.com. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with the condition of a book they've sent me like I have with other sellers. I have a hard time resisting their buy 3 get 1 free sales when I have a couple of titles on my wish list. I bought Elmore Leonard's "Raylan" and "Fire In The Hole", the 3rd and 4th books in the Raylan Givens series. (The latter under its original title, "When The Women Come Out To Dance") I enjoyed Scott Pratt's 2nd Joe Dillard legal thriller so much I bought the 1st, "An Innocent Client" and another thriller, Giles Blunt's "Forty Words For Sorrow". Now I need to quit buying and start working harder on whittling down my "to read" pile!! :)
View attachment 152955
(I think there's a dozen more on the floor!)
That’s where ebooks come in handy. No one can see how many are piled up waiting for you to read them unless they look at your tablet (or whatever device used to create a digital pile of books.)

But I have stacks of books like yours as well. There just needs to be more hours in the day (and the needed energy to go with it) to tackle it all.

i've been on an Elizabeth Strout binge lately.
read Oh William! and then Lucy by the Sea in rapid succession,
then drank in Olive Kitteridge last week.
all wonderful, wonderful novels.
her prose has such beauty and grace, an elegance even; she has a lovely
ability to capture the smallest of moments, to distil the everyday things,
to undo her characters and open them up in the most profound and heart-wrenching
of ways. just gorgeous writing.
started Olive, Again a day or two ago and am enjoying it every bit as much
as i did the other three.
:) 🌻 💚
I’m putting these on my list.

I just finished Elmore Leonard's Riding The Rap, the 2nd Raylan Given's book. I enjoyed it even more than I did the first! Raylan seemed to be a bit more prominent in this book and the bad guys Louis, Chip and Bobby were much more interesting than Harry (who appears in this story as well) in the first book. This story seemed more balanced as a result. This book and the first were two years apart and were both short.
(<300 pages) These two stories could easily been combined into one book/one longer story. I have Elmore's remaining two Raylan Given's stories on their way to me in the mail and then maybe I'll eventually give Peter Leonard's Raylan Goes to Detroit a chance. (Looking forward to Raylan returning to TV - set in Detroit.)

I "threatened" to start this thread a while back when a discussion between coolkayaker1 and myself went waaaaaaay off topic into a couple of works by Haruki Murakami, whose latest was just released last week.

So - me first! Currently:

Murakami's Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and his Years of Pilgrimage
H.G. Wells - War of the Worlds
Joan Didion - After Henry

Looking forward to hearing from others who somehow, miraculously, manage from time to time to set down their ukes long enough to read something.
The Universal Christ by Richard Rhor

Just started an oldie but goodie, The Little Sister, by Raymond Chandler. Read it years ago and forgot the plot, so I’m enjoying it all over again. That’s a benefit of aging (one of very, very few).
I'm a big Raymond Chandler fan, and I think it's safe to say that it's okay to forget the plot of his novels, as he often appeared to as well. A testament to his greatness that it hardly seems to matter, at least it didn't to me. Have you read any Ross Macdonald?

I'm a big Raymond Chandler fan, and I think it's safe to say that it's okay to forget the plot of his novels, as he often appeared to as well. A testament to his greatness that it hardly seems to matter, at least it didn't to me. Have you read any Ross Macdonald?
No, but I’ve read every Travis Magee novel by John D. MacDonald. I’ll check out Ross McD. Thanks!

No, but I’ve read every Travis Magee novel by John D. MacDonald. I’ll check out Ross McD. Thanks!
John D. MacDonald is another of my favorites. What an incredible series... and his standalone novels are pretty great, too.

I just finished Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane. It takes place in the summer of 1974 in Boston. This is leading up to the school busing for integration period in Boston. With that in the background a white teenage girl goes missing and a black teenage boy dies on the Boston subway tracks. Lehane's capture of the dialog of the area and this era are spectacular. His sense of place has you feeling as though you are living through those tumultuous times. The best book I've read so far in 2023.

Top Bottom