what are you reading?

The Early Diaries of Anaïs Nin, 1923-1927. Her diaries are supposed to be so steamy and erotic and seductive, but I’m halfway through the 3rd volume and haven’t come across any juicy bits at all. None.

Instead of printing umpteen volumes, the publisher should have boiled it down to one—The Diaries of Anaïs Nin: Just the Prurient Parts.

I'm currently in the early stages of Before the Fall by Noah Hawley. I like what I've seen so far very, very much. Interesting, well-developed characters, an underlying mystery, and page-turning suspense. A highly recommended read!
Thanks, Larry. Based on your comment, I read the NYT review and this sounds wonderful. I’ve already borrowed it to my iPad.

Just finished "Violin Owner's Guide", which is by several authors. I expected it to be rather dry, but wasn't. There's actually some humor.

I'm just now getting into the Robert Galbraith novels and trying to red them in order.
Robert Galbraith is the nom de plume of J.K. Rowling.
I'm really enjoying them!

Magic Pill - Johann Hari.
I've read his other books, (or at least most of them? Not sure if I've missed any others), and find his topics interesting and well researched.

Luther The Reformer by James M. Kittelson. This was on the "free for the taking" shelf at church so I thought I'd give it a shot. Martin Luther was quite the interesting character and his influence was immeasurable. The book was a bit dry given the rich subject matter and I really had to push myself through the last third of the book. It got pretty bogged down in the politics and a lot of the disagreements with the Catholic Church and those holding onto opposing thoughts and teachings.

I'm currently in the early stages of Before the Fall by Noah Hawley. I like what I've seen so far very, very much. Interesting, well-developed characters, an underlying mystery, and page-turning suspense. A highly recommended read!
Just finished it, Larry. Wow, what a book! Thanks for the recommendation.

Just finishing Turquoise and the Indian by Edna Mae Bennett. All about the history of turquoise mining in the US. Written in the 1960s, when this history was closer to the author. I'm a fool for geology and mining history, so this is great stuff in my mind. Makes me want to get up and hit the grinders I keep in the garage and start making more beads!IMG_1432.JPG

Last edited:
Just finished it, Larry. Wow, what a book! Thanks for the recommendation.
Glad you enjoyed it! I liked it so much, that I immediately purchased his most recent novel, Anthem. I'm afraid I can't make the same comment about this one. Very, very different, hard to follow, somewhat tedious and preachy. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it and had to put it down for a while. Time will tell if I pick it back up again. Ya' win some, ya' lose some. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom