What are YOUR favorite strings?

I play a wood bodied resonator. I have been using PHD strings in Low G (no winding) since around 2014. They hold up really well to the beating I put them through. For sopranos I like the original Aquila Nylguts. I have not enjoyed the alternate formulations Aquila produces for other brands.

Even though I try alternatives every now and then, I always return to these:
View attachment 161691
I’ve tried the TI CF30, but didn’t care for them, and I just realized why - I normally use the Alliance J (but switched to Cristal High Tensions). I think when I do a hardwood top, I may have to revisit (I normally string my hardwood tops with Normals).

Agreed!

The go to is Martin M600 on Concert and Soprano, readily available, affordable, and good.

I am looking for some light gauge solutions for clear fluorocarbons for tenors if anyone has suggestions. Martin M620s feel too “thick” for me. I only have a few tenors…most of the collection is smaller scale than that.
If you are are careful, M600's will fit a tenor. There's not much extra string to work with but I've done it.

I’ve tried the TI CF30, but didn’t care for them, and I just realized why - I normally use the Alliance J (but switched to Cristal High Tensions). I think when I do a hardwood top, I may have to revisit (I normally string my hardwood tops with Normals).
I’ve tried a number of different squeak less G’s but as I also wanted a wound C so the TI’s make a good pair. Also I mostly play amp’d and really like the ability to slide. Unamp’d I’d probably choose the Fremont but they have nothing to put in the C position.

I am looking for some light gauge solutions for clear fluorocarbons for tenors if anyone has suggestions. Martin M620s feel too “thick” for me
I would probably try some soprano sets. If you were concerned about the length, you could try Worth or others that come in double length, so you would have no problem fitting them on a tenor. Maybe even the worth light sets would be a good option

My signature line says it all, although I've used Oasis & Worth Clear strings with good success
KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (aNueNue Blackwater)
Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

I’ve tried a number of different squeak less G’s but as I also wanted a wound C so the TI’s make a good pair. Also I mostly play amp’d and really like the ability to slide. Unamp’d I’d probably choose the Fremont but they have nothing to put in the C position.
My all time favorite was the D’Addario EJ4804 Bronze Wound, but I can’t get them in singles anymore. I replaced them with Aranjuez 700 series, which was a fairly good replacement, BUT, not necessarily “brand” friendly. Meaning, I needed a set my clients could easily replace. I felt the bronze wounds had a slightly better tone side by side to silverwounds.

I really wanted to like the TI’s, but the tension didn’t match my high tension trebles. I have a set of 10 year+ Flatwounds on my Bass. I know, different application, but the “flat” attracted me, and it does have a really nice tone, which is why I’m going to revisit when I string with Normal Tensions (like you) on my hardwood top instruments.

Since switching my Alliance 540 series to Cristal 500 series trebles, the 544 actually matches well, and I much prefer the balance across the strings (I always thought the Alliance 541 had to be tuned too tight, relative to the 542 and 543, in both R and J sets).

Top Bottom