What do you play when 1st asked

Only happened one time at an acoustic jam, when I said I'm practicing classical fingerstyle, and the guitarist had no idea what that sounded like and wanted a sample. One of the Sor opus 60 studies, probably no. 2 since that's the one I particularly like to play (although I LOVE to play no. 4 on the Cordoba Mini or Requinto... I just play it badly 🙄)

What ever I'm working on and is fresh in my mind... I'm a bit obsessed with 29 Pilots House of Gold right now... Strummy and easy and fun.

But this rarely happens...

I have the privilege of having a captive audience: My Seventh Grade students. When the mood strikes me to show off a bit, I start playing during a work time period. They'll put up with most anything I play, fortunately!

The one time it happened I strummed and sang “Down in the Valley”. It was all I had memorized at that time.

now, I’m not sure what I’d play

The one time it happened I strummed and sang “Down in the Valley”. It was all I had memorized at that time.

now, I’m not sure what I’d play

Something dark like Sister Morphine or Black Peter (they’d never ask again). For a child I’d play Going to the Hukilau.

I absolutely hate playing for anyone, even the dog makes me nervous. But if I was really pushed I’d probably play Ukulele Dav & Arnaud’s version of Sous le Ciel de Paris, because I know it so well I MIGHT be able to manage a few bars before I (or my audience) ran screaming from the room.

I absolutely hate playing for anyone, even the dog makes me nervous. But if I was really pushed I’d probably play Ukulele Dav & Arnaud’s version of Sous le Ciel de Paris, because I know it so well I MIGHT be able to manage a few bars before I (or my audience) ran screaming from the room.
Based on what I've heard, I don't think it would be the audience.

I usually start out with Lenard Cohen's "Hallelujah" as that's my warm-up song...

Probably Ukulele Lady or Blue Skies. Maybe Daydream Believer. I always inform people that before it was a Monkees song, it was a John Stewart song. That’s the version I play.

Jim

Top Bottom