What is an unpopular/controversial opinion you have regarding the ukulele?

you could literally strum and sing on any string instrument, so yes, fingerstyle alone is so much better. However if you were to accompany yourself singing, but in a fingerstyle pattern….💯

Strumming and singing is not my bag. Playing finger style by myself is much more interesting.
For me too, since starting guitar (1973). Uke and guilele fingerpicking followed suit. I'm a terrible singer. Plus, with fingerpicking, I always am playing the song melody. Challenging and enjoyable. This is what has kept me improving and moving forward for 50+ years.

Last edited:
Any ukulele you already own is better than one you are shopping for. You can’t play the instrument you don’t have.

It doesn’t matter what you play, either instrument or style of music, as long as you enjoy it. Even if someone wants to play a five-string baritone banjolele with a strap and improvised tuning.

Last edited:
Strumming and singing is not my bag. Playing finger style by myself is much more interesting.
Agree. I do occasionally participate in an S&S group, but that's more of a social thing. If my local group were to get a bit more creative and actually work on playing enjoyable music, I might change my mind, but everyone seems to be quite happy with strumming first-position chords and singing the same, old, tired Daily Ukulele songs. I much prefer playing instrumental music, mostly fingerstyle, on my ukuleles and guitars.

Agree. I do occasionally participate in an S&S group, but that's more of a social thing. If my local group were to get a bit more creative and actually work on playing enjoyable music, I might change my mind, but everyone seems to be quite happy with strumming first-position chords and singing the same, old, tired Daily Ukulele songs. I much prefer playing instrumental music, mostly fingerstyle, on my ukuleles and guitars.
Our S&S group also includes a time for open mic. That gives a few of us a time to play in front of a friendly audience. I think I’m the only fingerpicker, though, everyone else seems to S&S, albeit songs that are rarely heard.

My only nitpick with chord melody playing is that everything is in the same frequencies. There's not enough separation between the chord & the melody.

I think instrumentals generally sound nicer when the instrumentation is covering different octaves. (of course, this requires multiple players or the ability to loop)

My only nitpick with chord melody playing is that everything is in the same frequencies. There's not enough separation between the chord & the melody.

I think instrumentals generally sound nicer when the instrumentation is covering different octaves. (of course, this requires multiple players or the ability to loop)
In my transition from guitar to uke I lost over an octave of notes on the low end. I like fingerstyle jazz on uke but It sounds better with bass to me.

My interest in any ukulele beyond the re-entrant soprano dwindles dramatically and progressively up the scales. By the time it's a baritone, my mind is elsewhere. I can't seem to help it.

In case that sounds harsh, I do appreciate all ukuleles and even think the tenor technically and possibly sounds the most beautiful. But it just doesn't have that textbook uke jangle I expect and love.

When I see groups where everyone plays ukulele, feel as though something's missing. There's lots of high end but no foundation. Would sound much better if there's a fingerstyle guitar or bass to fill in the bottom. Folks in all of my groups said the same thing when our bass players can't attend jams or gigs. Percussionists are another welcome addition.

I always thought ukes sounded insectile and primal rather than 'happy'.

IDK the high tones have something of a dragonfly on the hunt about them.

Saying "hey, I brought AN ukulele" may be grammatically correct, but to me, it sounds stupid, and totally pretentious. AN ukulele? Gimmee a break.

Last edited:
I really do not give a pile of poo either way. I have bigger things to be mad about than how someone pronounces a word. Someone thinks ookooleilei sounds pleasing? Holy luna moths let it go.

Saying "hey, I brought AN ukulele" may be grammatically correct, but to me, it sounds stupid, and totally pretentious. AN ukulele? Gimmee a break.

I assume that this should point back to the ookoolele vs youkoolele pronounciation thing.

If pronounced the Hawaiian way, it should be an ukulele. If pronounced the mainland way, a ukulele is correct. Is it not so? English is only my second language, so I might be mistaken.

Top Bottom