What is an unpopular/controversial opinion you have regarding the ukulele?

Tell me about it. I'm forcing myself to be self disciplined and save money but damn those Flight ukes are SO beautiful

And yall know how greedy I am for neon blue glittery things
You should try a flight solid body, it just might rock your world

My interest in any ukulele beyond the re-entrant soprano dwindles dramatically and progressively up the scales. By the time it's a baritone, my mind is elsewhere. I can't seem to help it.

In case that sounds harsh, I do appreciate all ukuleles and even think the tenor technically and possibly sounds the most beautiful. But it just doesn't have that textbook uke jangle I expect and love.
I don't even consider the baritone a ukulele really. I have two baris and I love them, but the truth is they were not conceived of as ukuleles by either of the first companies that made them (Favilla and Vega) nor were they considered ukuleles by the people who designed them.

I assume that this should point back to the ookoolele vs youkoolele pronounciation thing.

If pronounced the Hawaiian way, it should be an ukulele. If pronounced the mainland way, a ukulele is correct. Is it not so? English is only my second language, so I might be mistaken.
You are absolutely correct. (I'm an English teacher.) 👍😉

I think Tiny Tim set the ukulele reputation as a legitimate instrument back at least 30 years.

When a friend invited me to come to a uke club meeting, my first response was, "That small toy Tiny Tim and Fred MacMurray played?"

I'm glad I went and found out my perception of ukuleles was so very wrong.

Completely agree he’s an embarrassment. In 2004 when I started doing my own solo music after fronting a hardcore punk band. I preformed solo on a electric acoustic concert sized uke and people were calling me tiny Tim laughing mean while I was performing magnetic fields songs and my own songs :(

People like kimo hussey proves how amazing the instrument is.

While I get the sentiment, I think I disagree. The ‘ukulele is Hawaiian. Pronouncing it with the correct emphasis on vowels keeps it sounding Hawaiian from a cultural perspective. Is “grassy-ass” acceptable when saying thank you in Spanish, invoking Peggy Hill or some other uneducated (US) southerner? By that logic, everyone studying a foreign language should try to speak the foreign language correctly but with the most American (or other nationality) accent ever. (I’m pointing at [US] southern accents most here)

I think it’s the teacher in me that won’t let me accept this, if you know what I mean. I say the both the correct and incorrect pronunciation in class all the time, but I try to be cognizant and use the former when I can.
I can totally understand both sentiments. As someone who was born and raised in Hawaii, it just sounds wrong to say “yookalaylee” and I never pronounce it that way unless I’m being ironic. And “ookalaylee” isn’t much better. Ookoolehleh without the unintentional but inevitable diphthongs that American English is known for would be the ideal pronunciation for non-native speakers. Of course, starting a syllable with a glottal stop is a feature of the Hawaiian language that even kama’ainas don’t usually recognize so I’m not going there. I don’t mind pronouncing uke like “yook” though. Somehow it’s a different word entirely. Maybe because now it’s an English word. Weird.
I’m trying not to be pretentious but I probably come across that way. It’s just a Hawaiian thing. I’ll get off my soapbox now.
However you say it though, just say with all the love and aloha you feel when you pick up and start playing a ukulele or a ukulele and you think about your first C chord. 🥰

I think caring about pronunciation either way is just stuffy and makes the ukulele world stuck up rather than fun.

I don't care if you call your ukulele a four stringed buttscratcher. Just enjoy playing it and live and let live.

I think caring about pronunciation either way is just stuffy and makes the ukulele world stuck up rather than fun.

I don't care if you call your ukulele a four stringed buttscratcher. Just enjoy playing it and live and let live.
Yes, but do you favour soprano or baritone four stringed buttscratcher?

As a creator of play along videos, in my case, and I’ll also add for a few of the others, the goal is to make resources that can be used with groups of students, age 11 up, in music classes where students can learn how the basics and play music they enjoy (I also make play alongs in a variety of styles). And what is great is that it takes away the requirement to sing (though they sing anyway).

The play alongs were never really meant to be for everyone (though anyone is welcome to use them) nor were they meant to be the only thing that someone ever plays…

But it does make learning enjoyable and fun in music classes, which are often trapped in the genres of folk music and classical music. And I love classical and folk music—but it isn’t THEIR music.

In my interview with Jim Beloff, Jim didn’t want to make a 3rd Daily Ukulele, feeling that “his” music was represented and that it was someone else’s job to represent the music of others—I’m glad he changed his mind and is coming out with the 3rd collection !
I developed my playing a lot with your videos.
I'm not always in the mood to play that exercise I'm working on or that song I'm trying to know by heart. Sometimes I just want to have fun playing your play along videos, even those that are very simple. In fact, sometimes they are the reason why I pick my uke everyday. Please keep doing them.

Regarding the topic, I would say that there should be a subforum here on Ukulele Underground dedicated only for the Baritone Ukulele.

I've come to realize... I like kala ukes 😲. The spacing is fine, neck isn't too fat (and it varies a bit), the product is consistent and of decent quality with decent or better sound. So shun me 😄.

Last edited:

Totally agree. Sharing thoughts about something is definitely not the same as correcting someone (or lecturing someone - you know the type) about anything. Just play it and have fun! I grew up in a neighborhood that had a large population of people originally from Madeira. My intermediate school was on Funchal Street. How about machete de Hawaii as a nod to the Portuguese people who brought this adorable little guitar to Hawaii?

Tell me about it. I'm forcing myself to be self disciplined and save money but damn those Flight ukes are SO beautiful

And yall know how greedy I am for neon blue glittery things
I've come to realize... I like kala ukes 😲. The spacing is fine, neck isn't too fat (and it varies a bit), the product is consistent and of decent quantity. So shun me 😄.
I love Kalas! The nut width and necks work great for me and the quality has been great with the intermediate and high end ukes I’ve had. The KA-ASZCT-ST is consistently my go-to uke. What a great sound for under $500 new!

Top Bottom