What is an unpopular/controversial opinion you have regarding the ukulele?

I imagine this has been posted already, but mine is tenors tuned to C. I can’t say every tenor sounds better tuned to Bb, or B, but I can’t recall one I’ve played where the tone is not improved.

The problem rests with being able to play with others. Tuning to Bb or B makes transposing a real pain, especially in real time. I have one tenor that can carry C tuning well enough so it stays there for that reason.

Soprano and concerts tuned to C are fine for me.

John

The problem rests with being able to play with others. Tuning to Bb or B makes transposing a real pain, especially in real time.
Keep it tuned B it Bb and use a capo? That way, no transposing on the fly required. And I agree with you. My tenors have both sounded so much better Bb.

Nice to see so many others who feel the same way as me about tuning down tenors. We should form a club.

Where I’ve changed over the last few months is that I now see it as a good thing, adding extra flexibility (I have more ukuleles than just a tenor) rather than a nuisance.

Keep it tuned B it Bb and use a capo? That way, no transposing on the fly required. And I agree with you. My tenors have both sounded so much better Bb.
I’ve tried a few but have not bonded very well with a capo on a ukulele.

Tuning to B does help with fret markers as the capo is placed on the 2nd fret and 5th, 7th become 3rd, 5th.

The scale turns into a wider “nut” almost concert.

John

I’ve tried a few but have not bonded very well with a capo on a ukulele.
Yeah. It's better on a tenor than a soprano, but I understand. That said, if you're only using a capo to play with others, maybe that's not as frequently as playing solo, and it could be sufferable? Or not. Whatever. An excuse for two tenors 😉

Yeah. It's better on a tenor than a soprano, but I understand. That said, if you're only using a capo to play with others, maybe that's not as frequently as playing solo, and it could be sufferable? Or not. Whatever. An excuse for two tenors 😉
when playing with a group I just retune to match. I‘m not sure how that affects string lifetimes, but if they are anything like rubber bands, they’ll last longer.

Top Bottom