What is an unpopular/controversial opinion you have regarding the ukulele?

Looking through higher priced ukes - what's with no fretdots on the fretboard? It feels like slobbery. So another pretty peeve, unpopular opinion. I like fretdots on the face of the fretboard.
I like fretboard dots... but I have read (probably in this forum, lol) that using them encourages bad habits or playing posture as it tilts the ukulele to a less desirable angle and that one should use the side dots instead.

Unpopular on this thread- I love bling and wish there were more nice sounding, blinged out options. There was a gorgeous Kai ukulele with a big dipper inlay, and the way the stars coincided with the fret dots was just such a creative idea. The sound was a bit of a letdown though!

IMG_2819.jpeg

Maybe it's my opinion that is the unpopular one... I don't use the fret dots on the face of my fretboard, so when I'm getting someone to make me one, unless they feel strongly about it or want to make something decoratively pretty, I just say don't bother.

I would be grumpy with no side fret dots though. I'm rather fond of those.
I absolutely get how it could be off putting to most people who expect them to be there. But given my druthers, I’d just as soon they weren’t there as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 14
Here's one that will get some knickers in a twist:

from the clips I've seen, UOGB seems a bit like a modern day Tiny Tim, a bit too ?kitschy or overdone for me... not sure of the right adjective, reminiscent of those weekend radio shows on NPR, the same lame humor. just doesn't do it for me. an entire show of that stuff?! nawww...

*don't confuse this with stating that they are not talented, I do acknowledge that they are.

Abalone on a ukulele... to me is like cilantro on my birria. Thanks but, hell no.
I don't like the toilet stone on any instruments either.

Here's one that will get some knickers in a twist:

from the clips I've seen, UOGB seems a bit like a modern day Tiny Tim, a bit too ?kitschy or overdone for me... not sure of the right adjective, reminiscent of those weekend radio shows on NPR, the same lame humor. just doesn't do it for me. an entire show of that stuff?! nawww...

*don't confuse this with stating that they are not talented, I do acknowledge that they are.
I've seen them twice in concert, and I'd go again. I adore their kitsch. They inspired me to begin playing. I could never knock them, they started what no one else was doing. I think one might say they even started the last ukulele craze in Great Britain.

I don’t agree that I have to be a virtuoso, or that I have to use many complicated cords to sound good. I use my voice for that. Sometimes simplicity says a whole lot more in music, in general.
I also no longer feel the need to write songs like I did years ago with my guitar (which I still play)- and I never played them publicly. I love to take music from all eras and among different genres and rework them into my own style.
All I know is that when I go to an open mic night to play (either guitar or ukelele) and someone announces that they are performing their own original song (or worse yet, songs), which is/are usually “dropping” on this or that social media site, :rolleyes:, I cringe because the songs are usually self-indulgent, wayyyyyy too long, not good, and oh so very boring!!! I NEVER want to be that!! (Sorry, songwriters!!!! It doesn’t pertain to all of you. Lol)

I don’t agree that I have to be a virtuoso, or that I have to use many complicated cords to sound good. I use my voice for that. Sometimes simplicity says a whole lot more in music, in general.
I also no longer feel the need to write songs like I did years ago with my guitar (which I still play)- and I never played them publicly. I love to take music from all eras and among different genres and rework them into my own style.
All I know is that when I go to an open mic night to play (either guitar or ukelele) and someone announces that they are performing their own original song, which is usually “dropping” on this or that social media site, :rolleyes:, I cringe because the songs are usually self-indulgent, wayyyyyy too long, not very good, and oh so very boring!!! I NEVER want to be that!! (Sorry, songwriters!!!! It doesn’t pertain to all of you. Lol)
Sarah, I see your point. I used to think I needed to be a flashy player, use lots of fancy licks. However, what our audiences crave is SINGING. They couldn't care less about a nice ukulele or harmonica break. Now, my ukulele is just a backup instrument. It's only a prop for my voice, like my rattles, drumming on things, kazoo, and tambourine. It has forced me to take voice lessons and really work on my singing. And it has gotten me several compliments. Less IS more. And yes, long ukulele strumming breaks in a song are pretty useless, so we ditch them.
We always try to leave them wanting more, and since our vocal harmonies are trickier and sweeter, now they've started asking for encores.

Sarah, I see your point. I used to think I needed to be a flashy player, use lots of fancy licks. However, what our audiences crave is SINGING. They couldn't care less about a nice ukulele or harmonica break. Now, my ukulele is just a backup instrument. It's only a prop for my voice, like my rattles, drumming on things, kazoo, and tambourine. It has forced me to take voice lessons and really work on my singing. And it has gotten me several compliments.
YES YES YES!!! And people also like when you interact with them, be a little humorous and so forth. It’s voice/personality first. You also have to show that you really feel and believe what you’re singing about. Most could not care less about the instrument, so you got it dead on, Nickie!
I am a singer and my instruments are mostly used as my accompaniment. :giggle:

Thank you....yes, much to the consternation of my bandmates, I stop to tell jokes and quippy one liners. I tell them, if you make em laugh, they'll eat out of your palms, even if you make mistakes.

A stage act without humor is a tragedy.

Seriously, setting up expectations with subversive intent is one the greater pleasures of getting paid to play.

Abalone on a ukulele... to me is like cilantro on my birria. Thanks but, hell no.
This encapsulates why this thread is important. If my birria (stew and not the taco) arrived without cilantro I would be channeling my inner-Karen to wave down the waitstaff and let him/her know that something was terribly wrong.

As for abalone or any other kind of marquetry, I've never requested it on my custom ukes (because every request raises the price about $400) but I tolerate it when it comes as was the case for my kamaka.

Top Bottom