What is an unpopular/controversial opinion you have regarding the ukulele?

Strum patterns - helpful at times, but I mostly "feel" it. When I do an open mic song and people ask me afterwards what the strum pattern was that I was playing, I just kinda shrug????
That's my entire repertoire lol.

I feel like I use something very primal at the base of my brain to sing/play...conscious me just annihilates for a while

I'm the same when people ask for tabs or something like that.

If I'm playing anything that's solo/melodic, usually I'm just playing by ear/memory and not from tabs.

As a haole who lived for a time in Hawai'i, I can't bring myself to say yookoolaylay. I also say a-lo-ha, not a-looooooo-ha.

I believe likes and comments on online videos should be doled out sparingly to exceptional content only as interpreted by the viewer/listener because it helps identify what's worth our time and simultaneously values our time higher. Be it ukulele, or otherwise. "Smashing that like button" and posting comments solely for the sake of driving numbers up is counter productive to the natural order of "cream rising to the top".

I'm the same when people ask for tabs or something like that.

If I'm playing anything that's solo/melodic, usually I'm just playing by ear/memory and not from tabs.

Thankfully very few have asked me for tabs. I actually do a little of both. Use my ear and tabs. I'm playing too many instruments these days and learning a lot of music in a short time not to use everything available to me.

That said, I use tabs, but I jot them down to remember and then I usually take the paper away so I'm not reliant on screens, tabs & charts. I think it's good to practice memorizing since so many musicians (not just uke players) are so addicted to those screens & chord charts.

Tiny Tim definitely ruined the ukulele's reputation, and made people think of it as a novelty/joke.

Simon
One semester my DIL got her textbook list and a ukulele was on it! I thought it was a joke! But, it was part of the teacher ed. program to learn to play the ukulele. She learned it and then put it away, but one day got it out in the classroom and played for the kids. Now she has two, and plays regularly.

Because of her playing, my FIL learned to play, my husband is learning, I'm learning, and her son wants to learn. Because of Tiny Tim, I thought it was a joke, but she has sufficiently vindicated the ukulele, at least in our family. 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Low G players are closeted baritone players, baritone players are closeted guitarists, guitarists are closeted harpists, so you should either play high G or a harp - that is the only way

Anyone who plays E as 1402 is taken to the doctors for evaluation

All ukuleles should have more than 12 frets, people who own sopranos are afraid to admit they can’t count past 12 and need professional guidance to overcome this

I should be able to talk about correctly fingering my g string in public without judgement or shame

I think that covers it
Very funny indeed, but a low G string does have benefits in not only having the ability to go to it in melodies, but also in chord melody.

Simon

Agree! “Toilet” came from French but we don’t pronounce it twah-lay.
Yes, thank you Patty! I was wracking my brain for a French word that’s been absorbed by English (and God knows there are enough of them) but I couldn’t think of a single one 😂

Yes, thank you Patty! I was wracking my brain for a French word that’s been absorbed by English (and God knows there are enough of them) but I couldn’t think of a single one 😂
You'd have to use your loaf for that, which would be a pain, I guess. 😂 Also, ukulélé sounds better in French, like café.

View attachment baguette.mp4

Last edited:
Just thought of another potentially controversial preference that I have. In addition to satin necks and radiused fret boards, I really like to have fret markers on the top, not just the side. Preferably 3, 5, 7, 10, and 12. I play up the neck a fair bit and need all the visual references I can get.

Certainly that made him a household name along with some light family comedies, but he had a very length career with some great roles in dramas like The Caine Mutiny and Double Indemnity

Fred was also a very competent saxophonist. He played professionally before his acting career took off. There were a few episodes on My Three Sons where he played with his family. He played with a fairly wide vibrato. Reminded me of guys who played with Guy Lombardo.

Reactions: EDW
Just thought of another potentially controversial preference that I have. In addition to satin necks and radiused fret boards, I really like to have fret markers on the top, not just the side. Preferably 3, 5, 7, 10, and 12. I play up the neck a fair bit and need all the visual references I can get.
I agree, except for the 3 spot. I don’t like a 3 spot.

Like you, I also prefer a satin neck, but I think most people do, so not much controversy there.

Same with a radiused fretboard. I think it’s a must. Many people are indifferent about radius vs. no radius, but there’s no down side to having one.

I don't hold my ukulele in a manner that I can typically see the fret markers along the top, but I am not offended by them. Side, yes, essential.

Reactions: TBB
Top Bottom