What is an unpopular/controversial opinion you have regarding the ukulele?

I may change my opinion if I ever heard one, but harp ukuleles? Just no. Definitely mutant looking.
Gracie Terzian, a New York City singer/songwriter frequently performs with a harp ukulele. It looks like she primarily uses it for alternating bass notes. I don't think it adds that much to the music but your mileage may vary. I think a six-string guitar or a guitalele would be more practical. Check out her YouTube channel and see what you think.

E major is not a hard chord to play. I think people often forget how much they struggled with chords like G when they first started out
play it with the high E on top, easy. I play it in church every week in E to match our voices.

Fred MacMurray had a B/W Television show called My Three Sons, back in the 60s.
He bought a property Along the Russian River here in Sonoma County CA. The beach was open to one and all and became a popular "Nude Beach" during the 70s.236_3428_1568_2102-2.jpeg

While UU is not your typical collection of ukulele owners, the sad truth is that what the vast majority of ukulele owners have in common, is that they do not play their ukuleles.
I believe it. There is a group of people that I am part of that get together from time to time. Once it had been 4 months since we got together and there were a few of people there who said that they hadn't played at all since we last met. And these are supposedly people who enjoy playing and want to get together with other players to play!!

If most don't play their ukuleles, what do they do? Discuss them, collect them, admire them? Am kinda curious.

I've noticed that very few people in my ukulele groups have heard of UU.

Many buy a ukulele as a souvenir or in a brief moment of musical inspiration, and then it languishes in a closet for years if not decades. I'm guilty of that meyself. A dozen years ago after seeing a documentary about Kamaka at a film festival in Oahu, we bought an inexpensive soprano. We picked it up at Aloha Tower the day before we flew home, and I think we played it more in the airport than after we got home. It was a closet queen until October of 2022.

I'm surprised that when I mention to someone that we are taking ukulele lessons, I often get the reply, "I have a ukulele somewhere."

If most don't play their ukuleles, what do they do? Discuss them, collect them, admire them? Am kinda curious.

I've noticed that very few people in my ukulele groups have heard of UU.
I think for a bunch, uke and uke groups are far more a social thing rather than using it to develop new skills or learn about tonewoods and strings. I've been going to a uke group for about a year and I suspect many don't practice except at the meetings.

This group has 30-40 people in it. I did a quick survey -- no UU members and only a few had ever heard of it. It feels like if you have ever done any searching online to learn about ukes, you had to have come across this site. I think though, if I were to volunteer to host a SOTU, that I could bait some people to join.

While UU is not your typical collection of ukulele owners, the sad truth is that what the vast majority of ukulele owners have in common, is that they do not play their ukuleles.
This past Wednesday I was slicing bread and cut my left index finger. It's not serious at all--I just shaved off some skin, a patch just slightly larger than a pencil eraser. But, because it's such a shallow cut, I think I hit every nerve possible over that area. I finally got my uke out again last night to see if I could play, and no dice. Still too painful. It's been a long week--not even a week yet! I'm surprised how much I miss playing. (And I'm glad I'm apparently an exception.)

This past Wednesday I was slicing bread and cut my left index finger. It's not serious at all--I just shaved off some skin, a patch just slightly larger than a pencil eraser. But, because it's such a shallow cut, I think I hit every nerve possible over that area. I finally got my uke out again last night to see if I could play, and no dice. Still too painful. It's been a long week--not even a week yet! I'm surprised how much I miss playing. (And I'm glad I'm apparently an exception.)
Isn't it ridiculous how much shallow slices and scrapes like that hurt?!?! I'm so sorry, that's such a bummer. Wishing for speedy healing and back to playing soon!

Top Bottom