What is the most overrated song you can think of?

I pick Jolene, by Dolly Parton and the host of imitators who have covered it. How many times does she have to repeat one name in a song? Honorable mention goes to Vincent Black Lightning which goes into the "why am I listening to this song, and will it ever end?" category.

Most overated? Anything by Led Zeppelin.

Robert Plant's Voice - nails on a blackboard, whether Zeppelin, The Honeydrippers, or his recordings with Allison Krause. I didn't even know it was him, but had that visceral reaction where i just wanted to puncture my eardrums.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with both of these posts.

Jolene is an excellent pop/country song and Dolly is an American treasure.

"1952 Vincent Black Lightning" is a terrific ballad and Richard Thompson is a guitar god.

Led Zeppelin is the soundtrack of my misspent youth, and Robert Plant and Alison Krause are sublime together.

It's a good thing we all still have the ability to choose our music. :p

I’ll go to my undisclosed location right after I post this, but the US national anthem. America the Beautiful would have been better for so many reasons.
I seem to remember a high school history teacher telling my class that the US anthem was the tune of a drinking/pub song from that time, just with the lyrics re-written obviously. Not sure if true.... but if so yea that tracks.

Context matters:​

Doonesbury Comic Strip for March 07, 1990

I really find this difficult to fathom, especially when their music changed so much in their seven or so years so there's such a variety. I can understand not liking some Beatles but not liking any Beatles?!! Whatever genre one would place them in their music would be amongst the best in that genre. It's like saying I don't like pizza or ice cream! 😄
Ok. Yellow Submarine.
I think more of it might be that a lot of us start listening to music a lot in high school. I think I was in Jr high when they were really popular (first time around). Yes I understand they're insanely popular for a lot of people, they're just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
I’ll go to my undisclosed location right after I post this, but the US national anthem. America the Beautiful would have been better for so many reasons.
I agree that the “Star-Spangled Banner” is atrocious musically.

Edit: except for the Jimi Hendrix version! yowza!

Last edited:
I think the Scar Strangled Bummer is only overrated in the USA. Most foreigners I've spoken to think it's pretty good...probably because they don't have to try to sing it.

I can practically hear Tim's head exploding from here.
On one hand, my head also exploded, but on the other hand, if you read any of the forums like Beatles Bible, I'm not sure that those folks, who surely are big fans of the group, would disagree. They often sound like they hate all of The Beatles music too. LOL.

One person's favorite is another person's most hated, no matter who the artist is or what genre. But that's part of what makes it all fun. There are so many options and we all take different paths.

I think the Scar Strangled Bummer is only overrated in the USA. Most foreigners I've spoken to think it's pretty good...probably because they don't have to try to sing it.
Well speaking from this side of the pond I can only say that it’s a lot better than ours. God Save the King/Queen has to be one of the worst national anthems ever, it’s just an awful outdated dirge with a sentiment that’s completely irrelevant to a large portion of the population. Every now and then there’s a discussion about changing it to something more rousing (which wouldn’t be hard) like Land of Hope and Glory or Rule Brittania, but since they both smack of rampant imperialism they are, quite rightly, rejected.

I’m afraid I’m another one who’s not a fan of the Beatles, and FWIW I don’t like pizza either 😉
I was a baby when the band split up so perhaps I’m not the right generation, and I wouldn’t say I don’t like any of their music, I just find them massively overrated. Maybe they suffer from overexposure, like when everyone tells you that you absolutely MUST see a certain film and by the time you watch it you’re inevitably underwhelmed.

Bohemian Rhapsody. I never get the sense that any of the 5ish parts go together at all. It sounds like a mashup made by a first year music producer.

Well speaking from this side of the pond I can only say that it’s a lot better than ours. God Save the King/Queen has to be one of the worst national anthems ever, it’s just an awful outdated dirge with a sentiment that’s completely irrelevant to a large portion of the population. Every now and then there’s a discussion about changing it to something more rousing (which wouldn’t be hard) like Land of Hope and Glory or Rule Brittania, but since they both smack of rampant imperialism they are, quite rightly, rejected.
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I like God Save the Queen. It reminds me of My Country Tis of Thee. But, Rule Brittania is a fantastically awesome song.

Reactions: TBB
Top Bottom