What the heck are these?

Doug W

Reaction score
I assume these are used for calibration. I work in a beverage company. These may have something to do with the boiler or retort. I went to the WEN website but found nothing. They are not for ukuleles.WEN01.jpgWEN02.jpg

Somebody here will know. Ignore the JET2 neo manual, it is unrelated.

Last edited:

WEN 10412 12-Piece Steel Angle Gauge Block Set with Case​

I googled "gauges with wooden case" and the above is what came up. US $39.85 at Amazon. Ad reads:
  • Perfect for machinists and metalworkers; measure angles with maximum precision
  • Workshop-grade set features 12 individual steel blocks of various angles
  • Includes 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-degree hardened-steel blocks
  • Perfect for setting milling angles or calibrating measuring equipment
  • Hard-shelled carrying case keeps the blocks organized and protected from contaminants

WEN 10412 12-Piece Steel Angle Gauge Block Set with Case​

I googled "gauges with wooden case" and the above is what came up. US $39.85 at Amazon. Ad reads:
  • Perfect for machinists and metalworkers; measure angles with maximum precision
  • Workshop-grade set features 12 individual steel blocks of various angles
  • Includes 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, and 30-degree hardened-steel blocks
  • Perfect for setting milling angles or calibrating measuring equipment
  • Hard-shelled carrying case keeps the blocks organized and protected from contaminants
I think I searched for "WEN calibration something or other" and came up with nothing. My boss wanted me to contact the former maintenance guy who had been invited to leave and ask him what they were. I decided the only reasonable action was to ask ukulele people.

Thanks Oldscruggsfan!

I think I searched for "WEN calibration something or other" and came up with nothing. My boss wanted me to contact the former maintenance guy who had been invited to leave and ask him what they were. I decided the only reasonable action was to ask ukulele people.

Thanks Oldscruggsfan!
I'd be willing to pay the shipping cost if your boss is willing to divest your company of only the wooden case. I'd also like to use the angle blocks for bird house construction but am guessing total weight is substantial.

As long as you've started this "things-you-have-but-don't-know-what-they-are" thread:

Stainless star-drive screw with a hard plastic spool. I removed about 100 of these from demolished deck joists.

<edit> The 3-grooved spool is all one piece. They were screwed in tight and couldn't roll. They were spaced about 12-16" apart along the edge of treated 2x8s. I'm trying to contact the person who did the demo and made the scrap available to me.

Attachments

• SS-Hard Plastic.JPG
    SS-Hard Plastic.JPG
    840.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
As long as you've started this "things-you-have-but-don't-know-what-they-are" thread:

Stainless star-drive screw with a hard plastic spool. I removed about 100 of these from demolished deck joists.
Do the two plastic discs turn at all, or might they be designed to flex to some extent such as might be necessary for either huge snow load or tremor (earthquake) survival? I think this is a great idea for a thread BTW even though it's admittedly unrelated to ukes!
Definitely don't drop one of those outside your carport/ garage. Wouldn't want that in my tire.

Oooh goody! A mystery object thread!!

Well since this thread is evolving. There were a number of these doodads at our house when we moved in. I don't know if these are spacers of some kind or what? They are metal.
20230314_184005.jpg

Last edited:
Well since this thread is evolving. There were a number of these doodads at our house when we moved in. I don't know if these are spacers of some kind or what? They are metal.
View attachment 149529
They look like punchouts from something - you know, you remove that piece to get the void you want in the other piece that you're going to end up using. But for what?!

I AM LOVING THIS THREAD!!! MORE!!!! MORE!!!!

Do the two plastic discs turn at all, or might they be designed to flex to some extent such as might be necessary for either huge snow load or tremor (earthquake) survival?...
Demo-man 'splained it to me. Those are for making fence walls around a deck. A metal tube slides (looks like 5/8" I.D.) over each bobbin. The top rail will have them underneath. He said it was a royal pain to initially assemble it as all the wobbly tubes coming up from the bottom had to be aligned with all the bobbins at the top before the whole section could be screwed together.

I'm not sure what I'll do with them, but at least I won't have to buy any!

Last edited:
The woman that owned the house before us was an artist and did not throw away stuff. She may have seen these somewhere as the extra throw away part of something as you described and said I may need those someday.
Yup. That sounds highly possible. A "found objects" artist. Not my kind of thing, but I sure admire people who make stuff from stuff that others discard. There's a "sculptor"/metalworker here that makes these great sculptures from all sorts of odds and sods of metal parts and pieces. My favourites are the arthropods he creates (crabs, scorpions, crickets) and crows and chickadees. I'll try to take a pic next time he's at the market and post, because they're really wonderful, but probably not until after the May long weekend.

This one had me wondering for a while...

61sf4Ncx7hL._AC_SX425_.jpg

This will seem an odd response but in “All Creatures Great And Small”, James Herriot described such a tool he had been taught to use for [EDIT because I was working from memory] trimming [grossly overgrown] horse [teeth] hooves. In other words, it was a farrier’s [equestrian dental] tool.

Last edited:
This will seem an odd response but in “All Creatures Great And Small”, James Herriot described such a tool he had been taught to use for [EDIT because I was working from memory] trimming [grossly overgrown] horse [teeth] hooves. In other words, it was a farrier’s [equestrian dental] tool.
Nope, says Mr Ed... Don't twist my tongue like that!

Last edited:

Safety wire twisting pliers! Used them daily as a nuclear weapons tech in the USAF back in the day. I still have a pair in my toolbox that I use every now and then. Safety wire is wonderful stuff when you have a nut that you don't want to loosen. You just have to drill a hole in the nut to put the wire through, and have a little bit of skill in how to twist the wire properly.

Safety wire twisting pliers! Used them daily as a nuclear weapons tech in the USAF back in the day. I still have a pair in my toolbox that I use every now and then. Safety wire is wonderful stuff when you have a nut that you don't want to loosen. You just have to drill a hole in the nut to put the wire through, and have a little bit of skill in how to twist the wire properly.
What's the perforated piece in the middle that looks kinda like a heat shield? Is the wire looped through and held there?

Top Bottom