What wood is it Wednesday. What type of wood do you think this is?

I was going to say curly mahogany but you usually don't see a sap strip.

Wild guess pompel sapele.

Fun! I have no idea so I'm watching in anticipation. Thanks for starting this thread!

And regardless of what it is, it's beautiful and that bird (frigate?) inlay is gorgeous!

Koa

I'm no Luthier (expert), so will just watch in anticipation, like Amie.
It's beautiful, that I do know!
(My guess is koa, with the figure and sapwood. Looks similar to one of my figured koa guitars, that also has sapwood.)

Last edited:
The tree was planted around 1925 on Oahu Avenue in Manoa, Honolulu and dropped a branch across Oahu Ave. early one Sunday morning (no injuries!) in 2000 at which point it was evident that the center was rotten and that the tree had to be removed.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 45
I'm guessing Koa.

Huh. I don't think I've ever seen mahogany with a pale sap wood before. Beautiful figuring.

Thanks for posting this.

How can it be Cuban Mahogany if it grew in HI?

I guess wood from an acacia koa tree grown in Cuba could be called Hawaiian koa, right? Or maybe it's impossible to grow it anywhere outside HI?

How can it be Cuban Mahogany if it grew in HI?

I guess wood from an acacia koa tree grown in Cuba could be called Hawaiian koa, right? Or maybe it's impossible to grow it anywhere outside HI?
Cuban Mahogany trees and/or seeds were brought to Hawaii so I guess it's Hawaiian Cuban Mahogany. This tree sure had incredible wood.

Top Bottom