What Wood is This?

mlolya

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know it’s not Wednesday but I’m wondering if anyone can ID this wood from these pictures?
This is front back and side from a tenor ukulele.

Attachments

• IMG_6072.jpeg
    IMG_6072.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6074.jpeg
    IMG_6074.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6073.jpeg
    IMG_6073.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 29
The color and grain look like walnut, but like Mookulele says, I'm no expert, either!

So this wood is on a Mike Pereira Tenor that I just got from Boofa. It's a lovely ukulele and I'm very happy with it. It has piqued my curiosity about it and about Mike. I know that he made a lot of instruments from Walnut, many were the Cali series, but the Cali series had a Cali Logo on the back of the headstock and the inside label said Cali Series. This one has neither.
It also seems that Mike has disappeared from the scene, no one seems to know what happened to him. From what I've learned about his work, it seems that he made a variety of different models from many different woods. He also used many different logos on the headstock. This one is a simple black silhouette MP. I think this is a walnut uke, although it doesn't appear to be the Cali series. Not being an expert on wood either I thought I'd see what others think. Thanks for the input.

Attachments

• IMG_6076.jpeg
    IMG_6076.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 19
it's not koa or acacia?

Top Bottom