What's happening in your shed?

Here are some pictures of my latest tenor. The top ,sides and back are African Mahogany. The neck is Spanish Cedar, the fingerboard and bridge are Rosewood, and the head plate and top binding are Maple. I just glued the bridge on today so I will have to wait until tomorrow before I string it up. It is another lattice braced tenor with a few subtle changes, I hope they work!

IMG_2743.jpgIMG_2744.jpgIMG_2745.jpgIMG_2746.jpg

Here are some pictures of my latest tenor. The top ,sides and back are African Mahogany. The neck is Spanish Cedar, the fingerboard and bridge are Rosewood, and the head plate and top binding are Maple. I just glued the bridge on today so I will have to wait until tomorrow before I string it up. It is another lattice braced tenor with a few subtle changes, I hope they work!

View attachment 177123View attachment 177124View attachment 177125View attachment 177126
Hi Jim, that looks beautifully made! I just discovered your ukuleles. Are you making any cedar tops with side port?

Hi Cheesecakes, " you gotta love that name", thanks for the complement. I haven't made a Cedar top uke with a side port. I like the look of the side port and the idea that the player will get more feedback; but I'm not sure I like what it does to the tone, at least on my tenors. I have a Cedar topped figured Maple tenor for sale now in the marketplace, I reinforced the upper bout so I could cut a side port in it but haven't done it yet. If there is no interest in it I might experiment and try the sound port. I also have some wonderful very old fine grained Cedar I was just gifted; at some point I plan on pairing it some nice figured local Walnut. I really need to do some yard work, my place is getting out of control, so it will be a little while before I start another uke. Jim

Hi Cheesecakes, " you gotta love that name", thanks for the complement. I haven't made a Cedar top uke with a side port. I like the look of the side port and the idea that the player will get more feedback; but I'm not sure I like what it does to the tone, at least on my tenors. I have a Cedar topped figured Maple tenor for sale now in the marketplace, I reinforced the upper bout so I could cut a side port in it but haven't done it yet. If there is no interest in it I might experiment and try the sound port. I also have some wonderful very old fine grained Cedar I was just gifted; at some point I plan on pairing it some nice figured local Walnut. I really need to do some yard work, my place is getting out of control, so it will be a little while before I start another uke. Jim
Hey Jim, I saw your Cedar/Maple tenor on your marketplace, and it looks beautiful! Oh I see, I'm just curious, what do you not like about the side port on your tenors? Does it diminish/affect the tone?
Anyway, if you do experiment a side port on your Cedar/Maple tenor and it is available for sale, will you let me know? 😁 I like side ports as I'm playing for myself most of the time, and I also like the lattice bracing in your ukuleles. Looking forward to seeing more of your work :giggle: Have fun with your yard work as well. -Peggie

Hello Peggie, it's hard to say what my concern is about side ports. The two tenors I put side ports on seemed hard to control the sound. There was some odd dissonance going on. The new owner has told me he has them sounding good now, they just seemed a little fussy at first. It could be just those two particular ukes, I will definitely try again in the future and let you know if I try on the Cedar, Maple tenor. I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with sound ports.

The new owner has told me he has them sounding good now, they just seemed a little fussy at first. It could be just those two particular ukes, I will definitely try again in the future and let you know if I try on the Cedar, Maple tenor. I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with sound ports.
If that new owner would get off his duff and provide more sound samples, that would probably help answer people's questions 🤣

I think part of it was putting the right strings on them (to my ears) and part was giving these brand new instruments some time to relax and settle in for the ride. I also had a Tusq saddle put on one of them which I think helped. The sound ports do give more feedback to the player but both instruments are not shy about volume! I just think, as with any instrument, it just takes time to get to know and figure out how to get the best from it. Jim's ukes are amazing and one of these days I hope to finally put up NUDs for the three that I am fortunate to have :)

-Steve

Had to process some binding strips (walnut, cherry, padauk, flamed maple) to address the ambrosia madness underway in my "shed." A tenor, 2 concerts, and a soprano. Now what goes where? (I have a couple walnut bodies coming up as well).

Binding3.jpg

Ambrosia bodies.jpg

Is that a tongue-in-cheek reference to Ted Woodford?
Actually, Yes. He does frets, I do uke bodies. I've learned an awful lot from him as I am "self-taught" aside from generous youtubers like Ted, Ratliff mandolins, Rosa string works, Harpeth guitar restoration, and particularly Beau Hannam and Aaron Oya (Kekani) for uke specific stuff. Countless others on this site and Youtube in smaller doses.

Last edited:
Slowly chipping away at this one, very excited to hear how this bracing sounds. To my hands it feels like a good compromise between cross/long grain stiffness while actually being lighter than the 2 transverse braces and full width bridge plate I usually use.
IMG_5624.jpg

Slowly chipping away at this one, very excited to hear how this bracing sounds. To my hands it feels like a good compromise between cross/long grain stiffness while actually being lighter than the 2 transverse braces and full width bridge plate I usually use.
View attachment 178586
I doubt that visual appeal has any effect on the sound but the shapes, the placement, the proportions and the symmetry look most elegant and pleasing. I'd be really disappointed if it does not sound great! (y)

View attachment 178586

Nice clean build. The bracing looks great and functional. It also looks like the Burning Man logo.

Top Bottom