What's your dream ukulele spec ?

This is a 17" concert scale concert, which if I understood correctly, is one size that was mentioned.

Omg so beautiful and elegant love the design thankful for the link

I love Rebels! I have a Pluto and a Double Cheese. The Double Cheese was my first really good uke. I would love to have a Rebel mango tenor.
Thank you Cadia for kindly and having our love into your ukulele family

Now we just finished developing a new project on mango after many years on the spruce as you may see in many model lol

We mixed up mango with other wood also new bracing for a tenor and concert too
Specs?
Nothing fancy.
1. String through body for bridge stability.
2. Solid mahogany throughout, it makes my favorite tone.
3. Comfort armrest, bare waxed neck back, narrow nut, and radiused fretboard for ease of play.
4. Passive pickup. I play onstage.
Simple, eh?
It's remind me of the martin vintage one but add up the armrest that I wish I to see it too yeah simple minimal is the classic choice that's I love most too

Soprano, slot bridge (no tie bar, I really don’t like those), most likely solid mahogany top back and sides, rosewood binding on the body, rosewood (or ebony) fretboard, nice flat neck profile, ebony nut and saddle, MiSi pickup, maybe some kind of tortoiseshell pick guard, and a funky volume control knob mounted on the upper side bout like Ohta San has on his. So yeah, basically a modded Martin soprano.

Already had my dream uke built, several times - different dreams.:)

My latest dream uke was a 19” scale baritone, redwood top, curly mahogany body from The Tree, ebony fretboard, gold EVO frets, all bound in rosewood. Built by Pat Megowan. Sounds and looks terrific.

My latest dream uke was a 19” scale baritone, redwood top, curly mahogany body from The Tree, ebony fretboard, gold EVO frets, all bound in rosewood. Built by Pat Megowan. Sounds and looks terrific.
NUD or email with details please!

I already own ukes that are way beyond what I dared to dream of, and am not picky about specs. I like open pore finishes, fretboards without binding, planetary tuners on standard and concert sizes and winged tuners on tenor and baritone sizes. I like bridges made of same material as fretboard - slotted for concert and standard; and tie bridge for larger size. Bracing as simple as possible. Natural material nut and saddle, and hardwood or shell material decorations. Top and body material made of locally harvested hardwood only, no woods that need to be shipped long distances. Definitely needs to be a traditional shape, with no cutaway, armrest, soundport or other gadgets.

I already own ukes that are way beyond what I dared to dream of, and am not picky about specs. I like open pore finishes, fretboards without binding, planetary tuners on standard and concert sizes and winged tuners on tenor and baritone sizes. I like bridges made of same material as fretboard - slotted for concert and standard; and tie bridge for larger size. Bracing as simple as possible. Natural material nut and saddle, and hardwood or shell material decorations. Top and body material made of locally harvested hardwood only, no woods that need to be shipped long distances. Definitely needs to be a traditional shape, with no cutaway, armrest, soundport or other gadgets.
Sounds like a Beansprout.

wow just finished to the sound sample such a nice and smooth as silk congratuation to your dream uke

I take it as given that the build and tone would be superior, whatever woods were used (my preference might be for a mango top and an acacia body), so I'll concentrate instead on other features.

"Grand tenor" (18.25" scale, body proportionate). I mostly play tenors and baritones, and think my ideal scale would fall somewhere inbetween, favoring the tenor side. I would probably use Bb tuning as my default, meaning that standard tenor sets would work perfectly.

40mm (?) nut: 30mm string spread with a bit extra nut margin on the left side for bending notes without falling off the fretboard.

Cutaway: Venetian or "Art Deco"—no Florentine pointy bit to snag on.

Side sound port

Comfort bevel (angled and rounded edge where the right arm makes contact with the butt).

Pin bridge

Geared tuners: none of that friction or UPT nonsense. I also favor a higher tuning ratio (14:1 or 16:1).

Now we get into trickier waters, because of usage of technologies prone to be proprietary, to rapidly obsolesce or to break or fail—often by design. [Insert diatribe about exploitation, non-sustainability etc.—as if one more would finally spur substantive action.]

Programmable side and face fret markers, defaulting to this pattern: 5, 7, 12, 17. At least two "on" marker colors would be available. The reason markers should be programmable is so that they can be shifted relative to the capo position; sometimes this is appropriate, sometimes not, it depends on how you visualize the fretboard when capoing for a particular song. Also, people have different marker pattern preferences, though mine is the most rational, it goes without saying.

Wireless pickup

Minute sensors for string-to-fret contact, attack velocity and string bend, with a physical string mute (separate) so the fretboard can be used purely as a synthesizer controller. For starters, this would allow entirely remapping the fretboard for any tuning in any pitch register, or imitating a string bass, French horn or Zeldebrian θnörpkΔsl.

All electronics and physical components would be designed for durability. The power would be supplied by an endlessly rechargeable capacitor or the like, proof to leakage. For charging and emergency backup power, there would be a standard phono jack which could be attached to adapters for line power or standard batteries—rechargeable, of course. (This is similar to MiSi pickups.) Of course, if this were a true dream uke, it would be powered by proximity to a directional power field or by a minute dilithium crystal. (The body would also be made of Zeldebrian "koa", which grows like bamboo, has the most exquisite tone and entrancing chatoyance, is proof to temperature changes, and, once treated with mineral oil, is nearly indestructable.)

All components would be made to open, industry-standard specs, meaning that replacement parts would be obtainable from a panoply of sources, not just one who grossly overcharges, or who might go bust or simply discontinue supply at any moment.

In line with that, custom programming and control would be off-instrument. Nothing on the instrument would require periodic replacement, apart from the strings perhaps, while the controller interface and data transfer protocol would follow open-source standards that would remain supported for a lifetime, or at least what's left of mine; after that, I don't care what happens. However, shifting the fretboard markers would be available at all times, including when the instrument was played purely acoustically, with no connection to an external interface.
I feel like i was there and saw you demonstrated the real one in front of me, with a smile :) I really enjoy reading this. thank you for sharing

Top Bottom