Where to find Intermediate Fingerstyle Lessons?

RichDD

Reaction score
I am looking for online fingerstyle lessons for an intermediate level player. I can’t find much. I don’t want to take a course with lots of other things in it. Any suggestions?

I am looking for online fingerstyle lessons for an intermediate level player. I can’t find much. I don’t want to take a course with lots of other things in it. Any suggestions?
The people who come to mind are Matt Stead, Jeff Peterson, and James Hill, though there are many others depending on specific style and technique. I would suggest starting by looking at Matt Stead's intermediate material. I would also suggest you contact Matt, describe what you have in mind and see what he suggests. He is a very approachable and helpful guy. His main page is here. If you hover over the YOUTUBE COURSES tab you will see his intermediate course which is free on youtube. I found his beginning course very helpful. His intermediate course has many other things in it, and that is why I suggested contacting him directly to see where he would point you.

Jeff Peterson has a little more classical guitar approach to his courses, but he covers a lot of material and has many things available free on youtube. James Hill has a range of materials and is a very good teacher. In fact it is clear that Matt, Jeff, and James, have given a lot of thought to teaching and are good at it.

Have fun.

Alan

"Fingerstyle" means a lot of different things. Is there a particular technique or theory or style that interests you? `

Where to find intermediate fingerstyle stuff: in your fingertips! If you've been through the beginners' material, you already know the drill. So take your favorite songs and fingerstylize them using the usual suspects: the inside/outside strings, pinches, some chord melody.

The people who come to mind are Matt Stead, Jeff Peterson, and James Hill, though there are many others depending on specific style and technique. I would suggest starting by looking at Matt Stead's intermediate material. I would also suggest you contact Matt, describe what you have in mind and see what he suggests. He is a very approachable and helpful guy. His main page is here. If you hover over the YOUTUBE COURSES tab you will see his intermediate course which is free on youtube. I found his beginning course very helpful. His intermediate course has many other things in it, and that is why I suggested contacting him directly to see where he would point you.

Jeff Peterson has a little more classical guitar approach to his courses, but he covers a lot of material and has many things available free on youtube. James Hill has a range of materials and is a very good teacher. In fact it is clear that Matt, Jeff, and James, have given a lot of thought to teaching and are good at it.

Have fun.

Alan
Thank you

Before switching to in person lessons, I was a subscriber of Jeff Peterson's Ukulele Academy. IMO, the course is laid out very logically with a good mix of lessons and songs. It is very much based on a classical guitar curriculum but he was adding more Hawaiian, folk, and pop. At the time, he was very responsive on the forum to answer questions, provide critiques, and take music requests.

Mustafa Kamaliddin (MK Fingerstyle Academy) has an excellent course called "Ukulele Fingerstyle Basics." It starts with the fundamentals (which I still find useful to briefly review. You can always learn something new.) and moves quickly into intermediate techniques and material. Like Jeff Peterson's course, it's also rooted in classical technique and material, but what you learn is applicable to almost any other style. It's a very well-organized course, clearly explained, with plenty of videos and examples. Mustafa is a very good teacher and from what I've seen, easy to communicate with for any questions or problems. He also has a course on "Ukulele Fretboard Harmony" that goes deeper into music theory and advanced techniques. I'm seriously considering that one after I get through the "Basics" course.

Kinda surprised Matt Dahlberg hasn't been mentioned yet. He's a UU teacher, has his own site and is on yt.
Matt Dahlberg has a fingerstyle course in the Ukulele Underground store. Just click on the "shop" tab at the top of this page. Of course, UkuleleUnderground.com has a lot of their own lessons as well.

Have fun.

Alan
Alan's advice is absolutely spot on. I study privately with Matt. Very patient and professional. I've also worked my way through Jeff Peteson's book and James Hill's Uktropolis.

I have to second Matt Dahlberg - I absolutely adore his arrangements and he is an amazing teacher. He often collaborates with RockClass101 but he does a lot of his own stuff as well. An example is:

Another guy I just love (have a little of a mancrush on in fact!) is Christopher Davis-Shannon:

I have to second Matt Dahlberg - I absolutely adore his arrangements and he is an amazing teacher. He often collaborates with RockClass101 but he does a lot of his own stuff as well. An example is:

Another guy I just love (have a little of a mancrush on in fact!) is Christopher Davis-Shannon:

We all have a little mancrush on Christopher Davis Shannon, he’s a smooooooooooth talker!

All the suggestions so far have been fantastic, there is no shortage of wonderful ukulele players who are also fantastic teachers - however if you want to look at my stuff, I have a YouTube series called ‘fingerstyle Fursday’ which is 75 fingerstyle etudes that teach you various fingerstyle techniques - all the lessons are free, and the pieces are small so you’ll get through them 😇

Lara Markowitz on YouTube has nice intermediate fingerstyle arrangements.

No need to take a course, but as part of a UU+ membership, Aldrine Guerrero has a BUNCH of fingerstyle songs! I posted his Blue Christmas in another thread, but a couple of my favorite fingerstyle arrangements of his include Classical Gas

Bandito Tyler, one of his outstanding originals (I've linked to the beginning of my favorite passage)

Santana's Europa. Aldrine has recorded multiple versions of this song, including the solo tutorial version, but this full-band version is EPIC!!! He breaks his A-string and doesn't even slow down. INSANE.

My favorite might be his arrangement of Pachelbel's Canon in D, ACTUALLY in D, instead of transposed to C like pretty much everyone else. It drives me especially crazy because most of them CALL it Canon in D because that's the name of the song, but they transpose it to C anyway. Nonono. Alas, I can't embed it here, and it's actually not exactly intermediate...but the point is the same.

I do adore the other folks mentioned here, though. If you master Sammy's Fingerstyle Fursdays in particular, you'll BE a master.

Matt D was also one of the first guys I subscribed to, and Matt Stead is one the guys I spend the most time with after Aldrine, so of course I'm happy to recommend them as well!

Also John King and Sam Muir for classical, and Jeff Peterson for slack key....

...but I don't think there's anyone who can take you farther, in more directions, than Aldrine. Just my take. 😊

Top Bottom